MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  Light Rain Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Vote on the State Quarter.

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Vote on the State Quarter

Early Exploration
19%
Dairy industry
43%
Wildlife
38%

Total votes : 21

Vote on the State Quarter.

Postby Donna Summer » Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:26 am

Your 3 choices for the State quarter:

Early Native American Exploitation,
artery-clogging dairy products,
or cwd-infected deer and jumping fish.

They all have E Pluribus Unum on them too!

You have until friday to vote here:

http://www.wdfi.org/newsroom/wi_quarter/
Donna Summer
Forum Addict

Postby Dulouz » Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:40 am

The designs look so boring, so bland and innocuous. I was hoping for something that really says "Wisconsin" such as a Brat, a Beer Keg and Toilet Paper.
Dulouz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marge » Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:58 am

How about putting the state motto on the quarter:

"Wisconsin: Not the Fattest Anymore"
Marge
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:09 am

Marge wrote:How about putting the state motto on the quarter:

"Wisconsin: Not the Fattest Anymore"

Or:

Wisconsin: Land of Free Sexual Predators!

Oh, wait. That would be the "Show Me" state.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Tue Sep 23, 2003 1:14 pm

Marge wrote:How about putting the state motto on the quarter:

"Wisconsin:
Arrive on vacation, leave on probation"

Reflecting a sad fact that our great state has a prison population double that of many of our neighbors (i.e. MN).
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shifty » Tue Sep 23, 2003 2:42 pm

The best quarters so far have one or, at most two, strong elements. The intricate tree (Mass?), or the trees and the maple syrup guy (Vermont). The worst ones look like they were designed by committee.

For that reason, I had to vote for the simplist design with the strongest element, the deer. I hope the artist/engraver people at the mint punch it up a bit though.

I find the Indian/settler thing a bit misleading from an historical perspective. Have the tribes weighed in on the design? It's kind of a common motif to show the Indians happily giving up their land or simply vacating it. Maybe now the symbolism is different? I doubt it--a real throw back, that thing.

The results of this early cultural interaction are still evident today in the names of many Wisconsin places, a permanent reminder of our cultural diversity

Yeah, like Victory, Wisconsin--named for the massacre there of Black Hawk's band of Saulk and Fox. How pleasant.
Shifty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SombreroFallout » Tue Sep 23, 2003 3:32 pm

:roll:

You know . . . .
I hadn't been really all that impressed with most of the other, previously released state quarters. You know what I'm talkin about---> Indiana. That's right, Indiana decided to put a map of the state, an Indy car, and the motto "Crossroads of America." And it's not just Indiana! It's like all these states let their lieutenant governor loose with a black felt tip pen and a rubber stamp!

Their Creativity Spans the Entire Spectrum from A to B!!!

You've got your oak and your maples, nice trees to be sure, but not hardly original. At all. New Hampshire rant alert slapped up the Old Man of the Mountain (painstakingly chicken-wired onto the face of the cliff). Maine's got . . . rocky coastal bluffs and a boat. Quel suprise! Tennessee emptied out somebody's attic, just to fill up all that space. Ohio and North Carolina narrowly avoided a squabble over the Wright Bros by utilizing careful word selection.

Admittedly, there are a couple that, from a strictly design standpoint, are not really too bad. And I'd been actually looking forward to seeing what Wisconsin came up with. I was sure Wisconsin could design something pretty creative that was also a little more authentic/better than the others.

The PR lady for the US Mint even mocked us, saying that she'd vetoed beer, cheese, and brats. Which woulda been better than the three options still in the running -- and had more dignity to boot. What we got are cartoons specially selected by The Special Commission of Non-Artful Wisconsin Haters. We're doing our coin to help the other states feel better about theirs.

Ok, all very minor and all that.
But.
You know you're almost onto something when you take a look at Alabama. Their quarter has Helen Keller with the motto "Spirit of Courage" emblazoned across it. Sure, Courage of Tributee acknowledged, but think of the missed opportuuunities! Shouldn't they just have put the face of Judge Roy "Right Hand of God" Moore on the front, with the Ten Commandment on the back? Take off every other letter, number, symbol, and sign. 1-10 in tiny little writing, from the King James version.

Or -- to honor our heritage, of course -- they could put Bull Connor w/megaphone and an appropriate quote.

So how about it? Is it possible to design 50 subversive quarters? Or come up with 50 straight designs that outdo what the states themselves come up with?
SombreroFallout
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dulouz » Tue Sep 23, 2003 5:18 pm

Actually, I think that the Missouri quarter is very nice. Lewis and Clark paddling under the Arch. I also like Illinois's quarter with the connection of the farmland and Chicago skyline with their favorite son in the middle. My favorite is Kentucky's with the Thouroughbred (sp?) in the pasture. It is very simple and exudes Kentucky (and no mention of D. Boone!). Of course, I am a Kentucky native--be it ever so humble. Then, of course, is Massachusetts. It provided one of the best bad jokes ever (Do you know what type of horse he's riding? A quarter horse.--hahahahahahahahahaha)

Maybe we should have had the Vitamin D molecule?
Dulouz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:07 pm

Alabama could definitely have done better. Maybe they couldn't fit the 10 Commandments on there, maybe they coulda just put Charleton Heston, or whover that was that came down with them on there.

Idaho and Montana will have a race to see who can put missile silo's on their's first.

I passed on the Indian exploitation. Like we're the only state that did that.
I passed on the deer and fish. I don't hit too many rivers, but find it hard to believe we have fish jumping that far out of rivers in this state. Not to mentin that fish looked like something from a coloring book.
The dairy is so overdone, but maybe that's becasue I live here. It is what people think of when they think of Wis. But I voted for it. I love cheese, what can I say.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cartman69 » Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:15 pm

Sorry about the quality didn't want to spend too much time on it seeing they will never consider it. :D
Cartman69
Forum Addict

Postby snoqueen » Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:43 pm

I got this idea from someone else, but I thought it was good and I wish they'd considered it. How about a picture of the whooping cranes following the ultralight plane? Too late now.

I actually like the Indians and Explorers design best, but I wouldn't want to use it until I knew what the tribes had to say. Does anyone know if they have commented? Maybe someone could have submitted a design with Indians but no Europeans at all.

When the series is all done I'd like to see at least one of the 50 quarters show Native Americans, and Wisconsin is as qualified as anywhere else. We have the greatest collection of Native place-names in the atlas, and lots of tribes with vigorous cultural traditions.

I have saved one of each quarter so far. I think the most effective designs have an image that isn't cut off at the edge of the coin. For instance, I think the Vermont maple trees look chopped off, but the Connecticut tree looks great because you can see the whole tree.

This is why I am not crazy about the cow's head without the rest of the cow. If Wisconsin can't have a whole cow with a real udder, then let's not have one at all!!

:D
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:51 pm

Cartman, never a Bud. Use a Wisconsin beer instead.

How about Bucky Badger with a cheesehead hat and a brew in one hand, a brat in the other?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donna Summer » Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:11 pm

I'm guessing OK hasn't done one yet, maybe they'll do one with a Native American motif. I think they have the greatest concentration of native Americans in US, the ones that survived the Trail of Tears anyway.

Budweiser?? Was that Dahmer?? Howzabout Houdini?
Donna Summer
Forum Addict

Postby Shifty » Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:17 am

The council that approved the designs included one member of the Lac du Flambeau tribe, Gloria Cobb. There were a couple dozen members--maybe others were also Indian?

http://www.wdfi.org/newsroom/wi_quarter/members.htm

I might change my mind yet. Maybe the symbolism is new here, the depiction itself looks historically accurate and less metaphoric.
Shifty
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Town Vibe