MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, November 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 28.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Wanted: expert haircutter/stylist

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Wanted: expert haircutter/stylist

Postby nightingale » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:09 am

Hi. I've been in Madison a couple years and have yet to find someone who can give me a truly great haircut. I've gone to stylists friends have recommended (and to some very upscale salons), but no one has gotten it quite right. Maybe I'm not correctly explaining what I want--however, I have pictures of myself with the cut I'm looking for. It ain't like I'm asking for something from film star fantasyland--to the contrary, I want to look like myself.

So here's what I need specifically: A cutter/stylist who is expert and creative with layering. I have very fine hair with a natural wave to it. I need a long layered cut. Expertly layered. Not a shag, not a mullet--layers. I don't care if the hairstylist works in a "hot" salon or out of his/her garage. I just want somebody who knows what the hell they're doing.

Izzat so much ta ask??

Thanks!
nightingale

Postby gozer » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:17 am

east side, west side, either or both?
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nightingale » Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:33 pm

Either or both. (Actually, I prefer the Eastside, but I have a car, so I can go wherever.) :wink:
nightingale

Postby gozer » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:59 am

nightingale wrote:Either or both. (Actually, I prefer the Eastside, but I have a car, so I can go wherever.) :wink:

my first choice would be:
on the south-east side (monona drive area, within sight of taco johns on the same side of the street, 6025 i think it is) is an establishment named studio z which amongst many other things have a large number of hair stylists with 100 per cent satisfaction for myself and family, friends, associates, neighbours, followers, critics, random people &c. over a period of 15 years or so; no one has had to change from one stylist to another that i know of, but the size of the organisation allows for that if for some reason u continue to have the same trouble. the kind of trouble i had myself years ago but i have never been disappointed there. the simllarly-named place across the street is apparently a satellite location including more hair, massage & nail people.
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:20 pm

Bella on Mineral Point Road (in the Homestead Shoppes).

Now, about those pictures.

8)
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:47 am

I have fine, slightly wavy, completely wimpy hair. Philip at Elevation Salon (in Butler Plaza, above Cap Fitness) transformed me from grizzled seahag into a freakin' vision of layered loveliness. Far and away the best cut I've ever had.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:01 pm

Ducatista wrote:from grizzled seahag into a freakin' vision of layered loveliness

Funny - that's the subtitle of my autobiography, King of Assholes.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:29 pm

Jenny Hanselman in Salon d'Elan on University Ave. near Middleton is awesome and the only person I've stuck with for more than a year. Her number is 345-5600; she formerly worked at William Jon. She is VERY professional and friendly at the same time; she's excellent at both figuring out/responding to what you want and gently steering you toward what she knows will work. (She's right about it, too, though she will stick with what you want if you insist that you're correct :P)

As to the layering issues, I've sent several friends to her with varying levels of curliness, and everyone has said that she's been great at taking the time to really look at their hair before she starts. Also, she's FAST! I'm very picky about my shorter cut, and she has me in and out with a full wash, cut and style in about half an hour. Her cuts look great from the day I get them through the time I grow them out a bit.
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

re: hairstylist

Postby gozer » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:09 pm

the picture is a very good strategy that i wish i would have used on occasion in the more distant past; also, if one had a new look they wanted, they could employ the services of a composite sketch artist.
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Thanks everyone!

Postby nightingale » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:43 am

Thank you for a lot of promising-sounding recs. Now how will I pick one? I gotta think about more questions to ask to narrow it down, but for now, I must crash. (Nope, I'm not a party girl, just a true night owl turned insomniac. Oh. . .and a freelancer by choice--it ain't never a school night for me. 8) .)

And hey, Hey Zeus, how about those pics? I don't think so. LOL
nightingale

Re: Thanks everyone!

Postby HeyZeus » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:47 am

nightingale wrote:And hey, Hey Zeus, how about those pics? I don't think so. LOL

Well, this has just been one, big TEASE! :?
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Nicole » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:04 pm

I'll throw in another rec for ya - Kyle at Cinema. He's only there MTW as he actually lives in Chicago now. But his clients liked him too much to actually let him leave. :)
Nicole

Okay, let me try to narrow this down

Postby nightingale » Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:16 am

gozer: Is there any one stylist at Studio Z that you prefer and who you think would be right for the cut I'm looking for?

Ducatista: Is Philip at Butler Street Hair Designs (couldn't find the name Elevation, but the address fits.)

Nicole: Could you elaborate on Kyle?

Anybody familiar with Motley Salon?

Thanks again! :)
nightingale

Re: Okay, let me try to narrow this down

Postby gozer » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:18 am

nightingale wrote:gozer: Is there any one stylist at Studio Z that you prefer and who you think would be right for the cut I'm looking for?

my hair stylist over there is valerie who is one of the independents who has a suite in the north-west corner of the building, and layering is definitely important in keeping my own still rather thick head of hair manageable and she does it very well. also i do two different styles for winter vs. summer and every time i have had my hair done it was perfect. the other customers i know i believe actually cover pretty much everyone else in the main facility and across the street -- and never a complaint have i heard. the front desk is 608.221.7888 and that of valerie ends wih 7882 instead.
Last edited by gozer on Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Okay, let me try to narrow this down

Postby Ducatista » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:38 am

nightingale wrote:Ducatista: Is Philip at Butler Street Hair Designs (couldn't find the name Elevation, but the address fits.)

Nope, he's at:

Elevation Salon & Spa
302 E Wash (Butler Plaza, 3rd floor, above Capital Fitness)
661-3636
elevationspa.net

Good luck!
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Town Vibe