MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, October 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 66.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Wanted: expert haircutter/stylist

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Okay, let me try to narrow this down

Postby gozer » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:24 pm

nightingale wrote:Anybody familiar with Motley Salon?

the motley crüe salon?
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

LOL

Postby nightingale » Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:07 am

[color=darkblue]"the motley crue salon?"

Oh dear, I hope not! :P A friend mentioned them so I looked up their website. Looks like it could be a cool place.

Thanks to all who re-responded. At this point, after hearing more and also checking out all the websites, I'm leaning toward your rec, gozer, and Ducatista's, because it sounds like she has very similar hair to mine. The only thing that gives me pause about Philip is that in his profile, he emphasizes that he loves doing razor cuts. When I knew I was moving back to Wisconsin, I asked my wonderful NYC stylist, the one who created my cut, how best to explain to a new stylist what I wanted. He gave me a couple of tips, and ended with, "And don't let anyone use a razor on your hair ever again!" (Referring to the cut I had walked in with.)

Ever see that old "Taxi" episode where Elaine goes to a super-hot salon and the snotty star stylist--played by Ted Danson--bullies her into letting him do her hair his way, and she comes out looking hideous? :shock: Okay, so I'm not that paranoid, but you know what I mean. Maybe I'll end up picking a place because there's better parking. . .or I'll flip a coin.

Wherever I end up going, I'll report back. (I'm sure you'll all be marking the days to find out...not!)

Thanks again, Night
nightingale

Postby beenie » Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:45 pm

If it's not too late, I'd love to recommend Robyn at Cha Cha - she is the first stylist ever who has given me the exact cut I wanted. I had forgotten to bring all the pictures I had with me, so I described it, and she nailed it. Plus she's super cute and just an all-around nice person.
beenie
Forum Addict

Postby Dirty Dusty Rhoads » Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:02 pm

Chris @ Chris' Barber Shop, on Main Street in Sun Prairie, is the bomb. The price is right, and a hell of a nice guy.
Dirty Dusty Rhoads
Forum Addict

Postby Ducatista » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:15 am

I can't wait to hear where you go and how you like it! Philip has never used a razor on my hair (or even suggested it), in case that helps.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ashley » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:38 pm

I recommend Robert at Aniu Salon & Spa. He is booked for MONTHS but is a great stylist and the top stylist at Aniu.
www.aniusalonandspa.com
Ashley
Forum Addict

Postby Ashley » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:45 pm

gozer--about how much do you think Valerie would charge for cut & color (full highlights)
Ashley
Forum Addict

And the winner is. . . .

Postby nightingale » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:41 am

Philip at Elevation Salon! Many thanks to all, but especially Ducatista. (And Philip hopes you "come forward" and identify yourself next time you see him. :wink: ).

I actually went in last week--tried twice that night to post but this goofy system kept telling me I wasn't logged in. Hoping they've got it sorted by now.

Philip was great. He listened, took a few moments to really look at the old pics of my former haircut, suggested a slight modification to which I agreed, and off we went. I had so much fun trading NYC stories with him I barely paid attention to whether he used mainly scissors or a razor. He saw the natural waves in my fine, flyaway hair and cut it so they somehow stand out without any special styling. (He did, however, show me how to very quickly and easily style it so it almost looks like I have a ringlet-type perm.) I am very happy with the cut and am looking forward to going back on a regular basis.

The entire staff was very friendly, and my appt. was right on time. One other thing that I appreciated was that there were no product sales pitches whatsoever, which has not been the case with a couple other salons I've been to. As you can see on their website, among other brands Elevation carries Bumble & Bumble products, which are toward the pricey end, but as I was in the mood to treat myself, I asked Philip to recommend one of their shampoos. I'm very happy with it, too. (Now with the season changing, I need to go back and get some conditioner!)

All in all, a very positive experience, and I will be recommending Philip and the salon to everyone I know.
nightingale

Postby Ducatista » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:35 pm

Thanks for the report, nightingale! I'm so happy things worked out w/Philip. I'll out myself at my next appointment.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:04 am

Weird, my yesterday response to this thread disappeared.

Anyway, thanks for the report, nightingale! I'm so glad things worked out with Philip. I'll come clean at my appointment in a couple of weeks.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ashley » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:00 pm

I went to Elevation salon and I booked with a stylist other than Philip because he was busy. Sadly, I wasn't very pleased with my cut (color was good, though). If I go to Elevation again I think I will choose a different stylist for cuts.
Ashley
Forum Addict

Re: Wanted: expert haircutter/stylist

Postby Ashley » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:56 pm

Resurrecting this post: any recs for a hairstylist?

Recently had a good experience at rz&co with Alexia. Paid $35 (no tip at rz) and she was very good at texturizing
Ashley
Forum Addict

Postby zelda » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:42 am

Studio 924 on Johnson St. Katie. I went to her for the first time recently and was very happy with my cut. I took a photo in and she copied the cut really well.
zelda
Forum Addict

Postby BeatBox » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:47 am

I saw Liz at Thorps last month and loved her. $40 for a cut. You can make an appointment online which is what sold me.
BeatBox

Postby pattymcnutt » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:16 pm

I just went to Kim at Anaala (the Hilldale location) and she did a great job. She's a little pricey ($60), but it was absolutely worth it. I have fine, slightly wavy hair, and she did a nice job of layering it (without using a razor) and making it look nice.
pattymcnutt
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Town Vibe