MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 30.0° F  Light Snow Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

West side bars and taverns - suggestions?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: West side bars and taverns - suggestions?

Postby Huckleby » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:48 am

t4d wrote:I find it amusing that people specifically seek out a bar with no TV. How about you just not watch the TV at the bar? Sounds to me like you're taking anti-TVism a bit too far.

A TV changes the atmosphere. People are more likely to make small talk when there isn't a boob tube to stare blankly at.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby okiebp » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:41 am

Check out the Vintage Brewery on Whitney Way.
Good beers, good food.
not a bad bar.
okiebp

Postby fennel » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:49 am

okiebp wrote:Check out the Vintage Brewery on Whitney Way.
Good beers, good food.
not a bad bar.
No TV there?
The Mason Lounge sounds appealing. Wish I could walk there.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:06 am

fennel wrote:
Good beers, good food.
not a bad bar.
No TV there?

Vintage has TV's in the bar area.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:08 pm

Actually, the Mason Lounge does have a tv; they just usually cover the screen with another fake screen that's been painted over.

Sorry to be the one to break it to you.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:12 pm

gargantua wrote:
fennel wrote:
Good beers, good food.
not a bad bar.
No TV there?

Vintage has TV's in the bar area.

They also have big flat screen in the dining area.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:31 pm

Marvell wrote:Actually, the Mason Lounge does have a tv; they just usually cover the screen with another fake screen that's been painted over.

Sorry to be the one to break it to you.

No worries.

If I don't see it,it doesn't exist.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:27 pm

gargantua wrote:No worries.

If I don't see it, it doesn't exist.
Well, almost:
Pantagruel wrote:If I don't see it – or more important, if I don't hear it – it doesn't exist.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby roadkill bill » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:51 am

Love the Mason Lounge, with only one qualifier: food. None. Me: Often hungry, or eager to soak up some of that wonderful beer.

They have a deal with the pizza place next door, delivery, and I think a discount. You can also just run next door for a slice. But if you aren't in a pizza mood, or want something a bit lighter, you are SOL.

Obviously, Malt House has the same problem. Somehow I always land there when I am hungry, or shouldn't be drinking until I've had food.

As long as you can keep in mind to eat before entering either of these two establishment, they are beer-snob heaven.
roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:17 pm

roadkill bill wrote:Love the Mason Lounge, with only one qualifier: food. None. Me: Often hungry, or eager to soak up some of that wonderful beer.

They have a deal with the pizza place next door, delivery, and I think a discount. You can also just run next door for a slice. But if you aren't in a pizza mood, or want something a bit lighter, you are SOL.

There are a few restaurants within 2 blocks of there that you could get take out and enjoy at ML. I don't know the official policy but if they allow Falbo's Pizza you can probably take BBQ, sushi or other Asian food from down the block.

Malt House allows carry in as well but there aren't as many options. Bubb's Burgers is close by.
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby roadkill bill » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:54 pm

I understand that I could go out and grab some chow nearby, and maybe bring it back to the ML, but that sort of breaks up the socializing.

It's my poor lack of planning that appears to be the problem.

You know how it goes, you tell your friends that you'll meet them after work, or you're out doing something and decide to stop in for a drink. Yeah, I love that place, let's go there. But once I get there, I realize how freaking hungry I am, or after a couple I think, "I should eat something."

Now the choice is to order pizza or leave the comfort of the bar and your friends to seek out other food.

It's a small gripe, but often keeps me from going there when what I want is food AND beer. Or the lack of food options makes me leave when I don't really want to. Too bad, 'cause as I said, I love the atmosphere and the beer selection.
roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:19 pm

roadkill bill wrote:It's a small gripe, but often keeps me from going there when what I want is food AND beer. Or the lack of food options makes me leave when I don't really want to. Too bad, 'cause as I said, I love the atmosphere and the beer selection.

The vast majority of the profit is in the liquor sales. That said, people I know in the business told me that they go through the trouble of providing some food options for the very reason you stated....they want people to hang around and buy more drinks. Malt House seems to be doing very well, and Mason Lounge is always busy when I go (after dinner), so apparently a business model without food can work. They'd better do everything else right though.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:58 am

Even though I've found myself in Roadkill's position many times (hungry at the bar) I appreciate the places that don't have food. It feels more like a traditional tavern (to me) if you're limited to the little Nut Hut and chips, or "wall fries" as I've heard old-timers call them.

Nothing makes me want to leave the bar more than having the drunk 3 stools down decide at 10 o'clock that he needs to ingest a big ole sloppy burger. Pretty soon there's salt and ketchup everywhere and then you glance over as he's wiping his mouth with the bar rag.

Time to throw up now.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:04 pm

So we finally made it to the Mason Lounge. No TV in evidence. We even tried to spy its hiding place, and happily failed. Hallelujah! The noise level did eventually get a bit high, but really, that was only due to the crowd and the spanky acoustics of the place –– rather than a belligerent audio mc.

There's no point in mentioning the superlative beer selection. A few good scotchs and bourbons. If you're into good brandys, you're out of luck, but that's not uncommon in these parts.

Pretty much just awesome.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby vesvehighfolk » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:38 pm

I love vintage
and granite city
Jade monkey is awesome to!
vesvehighfolk

PreviousNext

Return to Town Vibe