MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Tuesday, January 27, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 27.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Salt or sand your damn walks! Please.

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Salt or sand your damn walks! Please.

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:38 pm

I'm sure it's a city-wide thing but I'm especially talking about you people in the atwood-to-milwaukee st. area. You got out there and shoveled 30+ inches of snow off the sidewalk, now can you manage to spread a little salt or sand on all that glare fucking ice? It just takes a second. Sand is free. If my dog craps in your yard and you have ice on your sidewalk, the crap stays.

And the Goodman center. It's bad enough that you have that one spot where your roof avalanches cubic yards of snow and ice onto the sidewalk, but then you just leave it there for a couple days!? Nice.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Salt or sand your damn walks! Please.

Postby eriedasch » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:04 am

Where can one get free sand?

I personally don't believe in salting my walk due to environmental concerns. Earlier today I saw commercial snow removal people dumping buckets of salt onto unplowed parking lots. This bugs me a lot more than a few patches of ice on a sidewalk.

I understand the sidewalk shoveling law and feel certain public places (i.e. Goodman center) should be held more accountable for keeping their walks free of MOST of the glare ice.

But I will play devil's advocate and say c'mon this IS Wisconsin and we are seeing record snowfalls followed by warm temperatures which produce a LOT of ice. Some people are busy working many hours to try and stay afloat in a terrible economy, many on vacation this time of year, or are simply old, disabled, etc. and for whatever reason cannot get out every single day to make sure their sidewalks are completely bare of any snow or ice.

For the record I do put sand on large areas of ice on the public walk in front of my house when it gets pretty bad and when out of town for x-mas had a friend ready to come over and shovel if it snowed a lot. But I do realize not everyone is perfect like narcoleptish, and some may even have valid reasons for not getting out there ASAP to chop ice.

And the whole petty dog crap remark solves nothing. Based on much of the walks I looked at today on my way to work, you must not pick up much dog crap this time of year.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:10 am

Just have your dog pee on the ice. The salts in the urine help melt the ice.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:48 pm

I haven't been there to check yet this year but there always used to be a pile for public use at the olbrich park parking lot off walter st.

It takes no time to throw a few handfuls of sand or salt on your walk. Blaming the economy is as ridiculous as my flippant dog crap comment. The ice I'm seeing is really bad and the fact that we have bad winters just isn't an excuse. At least not one I'd want to give the person lying on my sidewalk with the cracked skull.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:11 pm

If a propety owner is a chronic non-shoveler, you can report it here.
http://www.ci.madison.wi.us/reportaprob ... emoval.cfm
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bunny Chow » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:18 pm

Salt hurts your dog's feet. It makes them sting and burn. The dog will lick them to feel better. Ingesting the salt makes them sick.
Bunny Chow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Scotty » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:49 pm

eriedasch wrote:Where can one get free sand?

Here is a list.
Scotty
Forum Addict

Postby eriedasch » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:17 pm

narcoleptish wrote:Blaming the economy is as ridiculous as my flippant dog crap comment.

Agreed. I take back the economy as reasoning if you start picking up after your dog.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:22 pm

Scotty wrote:
eriedasch wrote:Where can one get free sand?

Here is a list.

Excellent. There is the beginning of a solution. Now we need to get the word out to those with icy sidewalks.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:23 pm

Oh, you hit a nerve! Not everyone drives. Some people actually prefer to walk. Just fine the whole damn Lakeside neighborhood! If I went on that report-a-problem site, the list of addresses would be so long. This has been going on for days. Today, I decided to take a scenic walk along West Shore Drive. The blue ribbons for Marino are still there. Only TWO houses bothered to put sand. I walked along like a penguin. Now if I fall down and break something, why should I pay for someone else's neglect?! I'll still continue to be careful, as I don't think it a good way to make money. But, if I fall down and think I'm really hurt, I'll pull out my cell, call 911, take a picture and sue. There are so many bad walks all over. This is truly a scoff law.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bunny Chow » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:13 pm

Salt doesn't really work when it's this cold.
Bunny Chow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:14 pm

It's gotten really bad, but only in the last 24 hours. Give people some time.

Also, sand might be free if you live in a part of town where they put out barrels. I don't, so if the hardware store is out, then my walk isn't going to get sanded. It's not as easy as you make it out to be.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:26 pm

Salt may not always be the best solution. A bit of sand, for traction, would be so appreciated.

The walks and intersecton between Hilldale and Borders Books in lousy! And it's been that way for several days. Crawl over the mounds and hope you don't fall into traffic, before the lousy "walk" lights don't work!
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:34 pm

eriedasch wrote: I take back the economy as reasoning if you start picking up after your dog.

Agreed.

My neighborhood has been really bad since sunday night. Plenty of time to do something. Cat litter works too. Maybe the weather makes people shrug it off and procrastinate, but I'm sure the folks in my neighborhood have found the time in the last 3 days to watch all their shows, gab on the phone, play video games, surf the internet, etc.

A lot of old people walk around here. Like I said before, I wouldn't want to be the one sitting with them, waiting for the ambulance, explaining how I've been soooo busy this week that I haven't been able to make the time for something that takes literally less than 5 minutes.

Cat litter
salt from your softener
sawdust
gravel from that old aquarium in the basement

I'll stop now.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby sylvie » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:03 am

Often those barrels of free sand are buried under a mountain of plowed snow - at least the one down the block from me is.
sylvie
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Town Vibe