MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, July 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 75.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Fitness in Madison?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Fitness in Madison?

Postby 7timus » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:25 pm

I work for UW, so I use the Nat/Serf for about $200/yr. If I didn't I would probably go back to Supreme. It's not the fanciest place, but they have good equipment, excellent classes, and they people are very nice and pleasant.

FYI: The new Madison Athletic Club on Sheboygan just opened and you can print out a one-week trial pass from their (very annoying) website. I haven't gone yet, but if I do, I'll let you know how it is.
7timus

Postby Screamincyncyn » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:58 am

I just switched from the YMCA to the Goodman Center. It's not exactly state of the art, but it has treadmills and ellipticals and tv's and weight machines. And, get this, it's 180 dollars A YEAR. In these tough economic times . . .
Two shower/changing rooms. There's no big rack of free weights, only the Block, which is too bad. But hey, it has a Bowflex!
Screamincyncyn

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:38 am

I'm glad you like the Goodman center but I gotta say it bums me out that they opened that place and undercut everybody else by so much. Ford's has advertised in the Eastside News (Goodman center publication) for a long time and then they go and do this. Don't call free market either because they're not scraping for their rent every month. Same with the Ironworks Cafe. Those two operations in and of themselves are good things, it's just the unfair competition that bugs me. (In honesty I don't know what Ironworks prices are like) Hopefully they can all live together. (That's coexist for the nouveau eastside)
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby anyportinastorm » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:21 am

Capital Fitness is looking to expand their operation with another location downtown that will be including a pool. They are going through the public/neighborhood hearings now and hope to be open late 2009 early 2010.
anyportinastorm
Forum Addict

Postby madkitkat » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:23 am

Hey forons,
Saw this discussion and thought you all might be interested in checking out this story package that we have up on 77 Square right now.

http://77square.com/sweat/features/story_437910

The Princeton Club, the Chakra House, Harbor Athletic Club, Monkey Bar and Ford's are featured (with videos, too).

-Katjusa Cisar
madkitkat
Forum Addict

Postby Archipants » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:01 pm

Has anyone been to the Princeton Club Xpress at Hilldale? I've seen a lot of mixed reviews of the east and west locations in general, but nothing specific to their new location at Hilldale. I am considering joining this one due to its proximity to my house though I'm starting to think twice based on some of the overall bad reviews.
Archipants
Forum Addict

Postby robbie webber » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:42 pm

Archipants wrote:Has anyone been to the Princeton Club Xpress at Hilldale? I've seen a lot of mixed reviews of the east and west locations in general, but nothing specific to their new location at Hilldale. I am considering joining this one due to its proximity to my house though I'm starting to think twice based on some of the overall bad reviews.

What bad reviews have you heard? I'm not really a gym rat, so maybe we are looking for different things. It's a mixed bag for me, too, but probably for different reasons.

I joined because I wanted a place to go in the winter, and to use weight equipment. (Not really an exercise class or racquetball person, so didn't care about that.) For that, it is working just fine.

Because I normally work at home, or coffee shops, or other places other than a standard office, and I set my own schedule, I usually go in the middle of the day, so there aren't many people there, and I don't have to wait to use any of the equipment or machines. Once I went at 4:30, and it was more crowded, as you'd expect in the after-work hours, but still quite manageable. Maybe things will get worse as the membership grows. We'll see.

They don't have standard locker rooms, just a number of separate bathrooms, most of which also have showers. There are lockers that you can use while you are there, but you can't leave stuff there.

My guess is that at peak hours, getting a room to change or shower would be a pain. The lockers also seemed to be full. Maybe that's not a big deal for you. Many people show up in their work out clothes, and go home to shower. They leave their valuables in the car (underground, secure parking) at Weston Place, and so aren't worried about actually locking things up.

The bigger problem for me is carrying around both my work stuff and my work out clothes. The ideal for me would be to work at home awhile, then go to the gym mid-day, and then work some more in a coffee shop, library, etc. I'd like to be able to bike there, since it's pretty close, but don't want to carry my laptop/files bag AND my workout clothes all day on my bike, especially when the workout stuff/towel is wet. Not having lockers to leave stuff is a bit of a problem. I would assume people using the bus would experience similar issues.

I've been driving over there, so I can leave stuff in the car, but that is not my preference. I'm still working on a solution. I think it will get easier when the weather is warmer, because the volume of outerwear I need will be less, so my overall daytime "stuff cloud" will decrease.
robbie webber
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Town Vibe