MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, November 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 10.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Madison's Locksmith Problem

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Madison's Locksmith Problem

Postby benfury » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:58 pm

Walter wrote:I don't want to take money out of anyone's pocket, but if you can reach the phone, call the cops. There's no unlocking fee and we're usually right around the corner.

really?

i asked a cop (who literally was right around the corner) to open the locked door of my running car and they said they arent allowed to do that. i was a pizza driver, with a heat bag in my hand, a car topper and matching uniform shirt. so it wasnt like they thought it was someone elses car.
benfury
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:30 pm

Yes, really.

We don't have the tools to unlock your car doors.

But, if you are handcuffed to your bed or TO your car, we have a key for that. Or, we could bust out your window if you ask. You probably don't want that, though.

I carry 2 keys to the squad, just in case I lock myself out.

In the district I work, we have instituted a new unofficial policy: If you lock yourself out of your squad, you owe the the cops working in the district a dozen donuts.

It's a punishment for being unprepared and not paying attention.
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Jazznews » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:53 pm

Walter wrote:In the district I work, we have instituted a new unofficial policy: If you lock yourself out of your squad, you owe the the cops working in the district a dozen donuts.

It's a punishment for being unprepared and not paying attention.

:lol: What kind of donuts? Or is it mix and match?

Maybe Homer will share his:
Jazznews
Forum Addict

Postby Walter » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:27 pm

Any and all are acceptable. Maple bars are best for me.

That bastard Homer will not share.
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:38 pm

So how many times can I call the police to come over and un-cuff me from my bed before I'm told to stop it?
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:42 am

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:29 am

white_rabbit wrote:So how many times can I call the police to come over and un-cuff me from my bed before I'm told to stop it?

Depends on how hot you are. Most people I've seen naked while working: once is more than enough.

But hope always springs eternal.
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ashley » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:55 pm

I paid $130 for a locksmith to come out on New Years Eve when my key broke in the door. Not a bad price. Bill's Key Shop.
Ashley
Forum Addict

Postby james123 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:29 am

i never had issues with the locksmith.Once i forgot my home keys in midnight .My neighbour told to call MetroLockandSafe and to my surprise they sent the locksmith within few minutes and it cost me just few bucks.
james123

Postby HeyZeus » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:09 pm

james123 wrote:i never had issues with the locksmith.Once i forgot my home keys in midnight .My neighbour told to call MetroLockandSafe and to my surprise they sent the locksmith within few minutes and it cost me just few bucks.

Your first post is digging up a 9 month old thread?

Thanks for the spam, but we're all full.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lonesomejohnny » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:28 pm

The only time in my adult life that I have locked my keys in my car was when I happened to be parked in the space right in front of Bill's Key shop. I believe that only cost me about $30.
lonesomejohnny
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Scotty » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:02 pm

Scotty
Forum Addict

Postby bleurose » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:47 am

Locked my keys in my car once while a student at UW-M. Didn't even realize it til class was over & time to go home. Can't find car keys and then get the sinking feeling about the last time I saw them. Sure enough, right in the ignition where I'd left them. Called the UW-M cops who came right away, asked for an ID and then took about three seconds to open my door. These guys were very nice to me, but did take the opportunity to tell me to be more careful and of course, they were right :oops:
bleurose
Forum Addict

Postby Violet_Skye » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:28 am

I lost my entire key ring somewhere between the Lake St. ramp and the Union, a couple weekends ago. Had to have the car rekeyed completely because the spares had gradually been lost by the kiddo, and I hadn't got around to replacing them. With AAA picking up part of the cost, I paid $90 for the ignition/door key and back hatch key to be recreated for my station wagon. That was from Bill's. Without AAA I think it would have come to over $200...I don't remember the exact discount. Ouch. They got me a working ignition key made on the spot, but I had to wait 3 days for them to have time to make me a key that would also let me lock my car. Of course, I locked myself out again the next day...who doesn't lock their car doors without even thinking about it? AAA covered that one too. It was a rough weekend. And there wasn't even any alcohol involved...just being in a hurry and running, and didn't notice the keys when they flew out of my pocket. I still think it's weird that no one said 'hey lady, you dropped your keys!'. There were plenty of people around.
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Town Vibe