MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, November 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 19.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Single In Madison [2009 Edition]

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Single In Madison [2009 Edition]

Postby MadMind » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:41 pm

That's right, I'm attempting to bring back the dreaded 'Single In Madison' thread for 2009.
Why would I do such a thing? Because spring is a few days away and I'm feelin' the need to scare up some trim.
Let's see how many post's we can go before we all regret that I brought it back.

Kira Sabin, "The Dating Coach", was on NBC 15 with Carleen Wild over a week ago.
Related article
I couldn't find a link to the feature or a blog on NBC15, but did stumble two other blog postings about being single in Madison on NBC15 here and here.

Back to the Kira Sabin and Carleen Wild back and forth...
They asked Kira the question, "Where do you go to meet people in Madison?"
Carleen Wild even chimed in by saying she still has some single friends with whom she went to college with that always cite Madison for their lack of success.
Kira answered with, "Everywhere."
That answer is such a COP-OUT! Not because it isn't true, but because she and everyone else knows that that is NOT the answer singles are hoping for!

Everyone always seems to agree that one of the big problems is that there aren't any specific bars/clubs etc. in Madison for (post-collegiate) singles to meet and mingle over & above lack of supply (although let's face it, [quality] supply is a problem as well).

Kristi Moe's venture Flirting In The City lasted all of what, two years? (She dumped matchmaking for fashion)

And what is it with matchmakers always being single? If they are so unsuccessful at love themselves why should singles listen to them?
Last edited by MadMind on Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Single In Madison [2009 Edition]

Postby Shipley » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:13 am

MadMind wrote:Why would I do such a thing? Because spring is a few days away and I'm feelin' the need to wrangle me up some action of the female persuasion.

I hope you realize that saying exactly this is exactly why its not going to happen.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby donges » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:17 am

MadMind wrote:Let's see how many post's we can go before we all regret that I brought it back.

I think I already regret it. :)
donges
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:29 am

Shipley wrote:
MadMind wrote:Why would I do such a thing? Because spring is a few days away and I'm feelin' the need to wrangle me up some action of the female persuasion.

I hope you realize that saying exactly this is exactly why its not going to happen.

Now, now.

I'm sure there's some woman out there thinking, "You know what spring means to me? Trolling for dick."

In which case, MadMind is all, like, "BOO-Yah!!!"

[/frightening mental image]
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flounders » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:51 am

MadMind wrote:They asked Kira the question, "Where do you go to meet people in Madison?" Kira answered with, "Everywhere."
That answer is such a COP-OUT! Not because it isn't true, but because she and everyone else knows that that is NOT the answer singles are hoping for!

You're right. Actually, there are thousands of eligible (and hot!) single chix hidden away at an undisclosed location somewhere in Madison.

There. Does that make you feel better?
Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:35 am

You know what I do when I'm single? I get a hair cut. I work on my jokes. I listen to new music. I follow the news more closely. I try to be more interesting, more appealing.

One thing I've never done is bitched on the isthmus about how hard it is to find a woman.

I put an ad on craigslist once. said something like "I'm going out this weekend, who's coming with me?" with just my photo. I got three dates out of that. THREE. I wasn't even trying. I just stuck my neck out and was bold. 2 Months later I met the woman who will be my wife this summer.

If you're having a hard time finding a date in a city full of young and educated women, I can only assume you're repelling them with every move.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:55 am

I met my beloved when mutual friends introduced us. Unusual among the gays, who usually start introducing themselves over breakfast.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:13 pm

I went to the Shamrock for St.Patrick's Day. I was offered green beads. I said they were ugly, and should have been jade. Was I safe?
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:04 pm

Shipley wrote:

You're right.
MadMind wrote:Why would I do such a thing? Because spring is a few days away and I'm feelin' the need to scare up some trim.

There, fixed :D

In all seriousness...
Now that I'm reaching my mid-thirties (34) having a singles "scene" isn't as important to me. But if I had to do my twenties over again (not being part of a pool of singles of any institution of higher learning) as an unattached single and wanted to live somewhere which was accommodating to everything from relationships to casual dating/casual sex, I'd have done it elsewhere (probably a larger market).

It isn't that I repel them at every turn, I'm just one of the countless millions who put little effort into meeting people and expect their future signifigant other to just fall into their lap.
Then again I shouldn't have to put in any effort, alas, I am King MadMind. Women should be lining up in droves to feast from my loins. Take a number, form a cat-call lineup, and I will choose my bride for the night.
But honestly now I've seen/met very few these last number of years in town who have tripped my trigger enough to want to introduce myself to or ask on a date etc.

Shipley wrote:2 Months later I met the woman who will be my wife this summer.

Congrats!
Last edited by MadMind on Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:12 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:I met my beloved when mutual friends introduced us. Unusual among the gays, who usually start introducing themselves over breakfast.

Quote of the day.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:26 pm

time to blow $20 on a membership to Match.com, Mad Mind. or if you prefer someone more mature, adult friend finder.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:35 pm

Here's the most compassionate and straightforward advice you'll get here: if you're single, over 30 and live in Madison, get the hell out.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:15 pm

Shipley wrote:time to blow $20 on a [...] adult friend.

You might even experience some blowback!

Get it? Blow...back...

Hey, don't get sore at me - I've got a reputation for thoughtfulness and eloquence to disabuse...
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:59 pm

Your only hope:
FEMBOT 3000

Warning: may become berserk and usurp humanity.
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:55 pm

Dust Mite Rodeo wrote:Your only hope:
FEMBOT 3000

Warning: may become berserk and usurp humanity.

As they say in the technology business, that's not a bug, that's a feature!
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Town Vibe