MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, November 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 43.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

East vs West

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: East vs West

Postby Maeve » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:59 pm

Tell me more, tell me more.
Tonight, tonight
Won't be just any night.
Maeve
Forum Addict

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:10 pm

persia wrote:It's funny, but I rare actually get east of the UW, just doesn't seem to be anything to draw me there. I think of the Christmas lights over by the coliseum as east....

Considering Madison is pretty small and there are many unique places east and west, this is a pretty weak statement. I live on the east side and I regularly go far east, west, north and south.

Then again, you seem to complain a lot about things happening on the west side, so this statement doesn't surprise me.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:29 pm

Maybe you didn't notice Stebben, but this thread has morphed into a musical, so kindly pick up the beat, mmmkay.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby indycoyote » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:51 am

jjoyce wrote:At the East/Memorial hoops game the other night, the East kids got going with their standard "East side! East side!" chant. The Memorial kids responded with "Weak side! Weak side!"

East kids had no comeback for that.

Oh they had a comeback alright; however, they dared not deliver it due to the East administrators' threats of suspension for any unsportsmanlike behavior. Besides, when you have East Side Pride, there's really no reason to diss the suburbanites.
indycoyote
Forum Addict

Postby bassbari » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:09 pm

My older sister's boyfriends were hoods with the pompadour hair. I loved the look, but in a WASP neighborhood in Rockford, IL that was considered non-conforming. I miss the Cuban heels and the tight jeans. The ones that they are wearing on campus now are very similar to 1962-69. I had a gorgeous pair of powder blue corduroys in 1969 that were so tight that you had to point your toe to get them on. Then came the stove pipe pants. Baggy all the way down. I would walk State Street styling in plaid wool stove pipes with Fry boots. They were the predecessor to the flare which was about 1977. How many styles have had two cycles besides flares? I remember madras being popular twice. In women, padded shoulders 1947 Joan Crawford and 1987 Joan Collins.
bassbari
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AaronTheSnob » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:14 pm

bassbari wrote:My older sister's boyfriends were hoods with the pompadour hair. I loved the look, but in a WASP neighborhood in Rockford, IL that was considered non-conforming. I miss the Cuban heels and the tight jeans. The ones that they are wearing on campus now are very similar to 1962-69. I had a gorgeous pair of powder blue corduroys in 1969 that were so tight that you had to point your toe to get them on. Then came the stove pipe pants. Baggy all the way down. I would walk State Street styling in plaid wool stove pipes with Fry boots. They were the predecessor to the flare which was about 1977. How many styles have had two cycles besides flares? I remember madras being popular twice. In women, padded shoulders 1947 Joan Crawford and 1987 Joan Collins.

Are you talking guys jeans or girls jeans? Because both the girls AND the guys on campus are both wearing skin tight pants these days. (At least the so-called "trendy" guys.)
AaronTheSnob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bassbari » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:43 pm

I am talking those skinny gaunt looking boys with the Vans and tight fitting jeans. Girls have been wearing them too.
bassbari
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:35 pm

In their early-60's form, those pants were so tight they sometimes had a zipper in the bottom outside seam so you could get your feet through.

The original boots weren't anything like vans, they were black with a cuban heel, a long pointed toe, and often a zipper as well. I haven't seen those on today's wearers but maybe they'll show up.

Hood was a totally cool look. A man wore greased pompadour hair with a ducktail in back and a woman wore tall ratted hair like on the front of an old Supremes album. We haven't seen a revenant of that yet but anything can happen.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby c02 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:25 pm

snoqueen wrote:
Hood was a totally cool look. A man wore greased pompadour hair with a ducktail in back....We haven't seen a revenant of that yet but anything can happen.

Not so fast. It may be lacking the shine but rest assured there is plenty of product in there. Of course there were plenty of greasy ducktails in the 80's but for humanity sake I'd like to leave the pompadours red-headed step-brother, the mullet, in the dark reaches of history where it belongs.
c02
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Town Vibe