MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
canoe rack
Friday, August 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 78.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Bike path crime is back

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Bike path crime is back

Postby narcoleptish » Tue May 31, 2011 8:54 am

Dust Mite Rodeo wrote:
Are the police too afraid of "profiling" that they can't confront possible suspects in the area?

I trust that the police do what they can with the info that they have. Random attacks in the dark with no physical evidence have to be tough to deal with. But try discussing the facts of the bike path crimes and the campus muggings from the last few years at any random gathering of people and you get met with awkward silences or practiced lines about poverty being the real problem.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue May 31, 2011 9:08 am

narcoleptish wrote:But try discussing the facts of the bike path crimes and the campus muggings from the last few years at any random gathering of people and you get met with awkward silences or practiced lines about poverty being the real problem.

I actually disagree. In my experience, when faced with specific, repeated, similarly violent crimes, people show true outrage. There is a sense of frustration that just a couple of individuals can bring such fear to a community.

I think the awkward silences and poverty references are more prevalent when discussing the problem of "crime", in general, and not specific crimes.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bumpity » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:22 pm

Well, it seems as if it almost impossible to discuss crime, and race, and how the two tie together. A rash of violent, armed robberies occur, all the suspects involved are black, and within 20 minutes of the story going up on a local news station's webpage, there is page after page of incredibly racist garbage posted.

Comments are cut off, and later stories on the crimes scrub all references to race. Seriously, what the hell? It pisses me off that I can't use a bike path without fearing for my safety. It pisses me off that it's imprudent to walk your dog after, say, 9:30 at night in many Madison neighborhoods. And it pisses me off that suspects can't be described as black without the yahoo racist population swarming in to condemn entire groups of Madison citizens. What can be done? Really, what can be done?
bumpity

Postby rabble » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:33 pm

bumpity wrote:What can be done? Really, what can be done?

The mailing lists I'm on are talking about restarting the neighborhood watch programs for the sections of bike paths that seem to be most favored by the perpetrators.

I don't know what can be done otherwise. Most of these crimes seem to be aimed at drunken citizens on their way home from the tavern and other easy targets, not sober males who just might be carrying a gun.

If moving away is the answer, where do we go? What places are there where crime is not increasing?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bumpity » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:57 pm

rabble wrote:
bumpity wrote:What can be done? Really, what can be done?

Most of these crimes seem to be aimed at drunken citizens on their way home from the tavern and other easy targets, not sober males who just might be carrying a gun.

I don't think that's true, at least not lately. People pushed off of bikes, people walking lateish, but not bar-time late (I happen to know one of the people mugged; not drunk at all), people accosted in their cars, and now an elderly couple asleep at home. It seems like it's been almost exclusively males or couples who've been attacked. And hurt pretty badly, in a few cases, too. What the hell?
bumpity

Postby O.J. » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:05 pm

bumpity wrote: It pisses me off that it's imprudent to walk your dog after, say, 9:30 at night in many Madison neighborhoods.

I could be wrong, but I think a dog would serve as a deterrent(certainly moreso than the perception of concealed carry). Have there been m/any cases of muggings while walking one's dog?
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Maeve » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:58 pm

This has got to be one of the most poorly-written journalistic efforts ever, but WTF?

http://www.channel3000.com/news/28563349/detail.html

The tie-in to Maxwell Street Days – well, maybe, but these aren't purse snatchers or pickpockets, it 's armed robbery and assault and battery. More serious, yes? Good thing the COP says, “It is our intent to hold these folks accountable.” “Folks,” seriously? These “folks” pull out guns, beat and rob people. 30 times in the last three months. All over the city. It's so reassuring that Christ weighed in that people should “take precaution.” Yeah, nobody should be the big dummy walking around drunk at closing time, yet that's not the case – it occurs “throughout the week and at all times of the day.” I'm happy MPD is finally addressing this.
Maeve
Forum Addict

Postby Peanutbutter » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:09 pm

These type of crimes would go away if the thugs simply got more love in their lives. The city should mandate that every resident give or receive at least four hugs every day.
Peanutbutter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Maeve » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:12 pm

For once, you might have something there. Don't get overconfident, though.
Maeve
Forum Addict

Postby QuantumWeaver » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:57 pm

I find a good deterrent is my shotgun pointed at their face when they enter my home. Sure, I gotta shampoo the rugs after they shit their pants, but I get to keep my stuff.

But that's just me...
QuantumWeaver

Postby rabble » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:07 pm

Quant, are you sure you understand the difference between "bike path" and "home?"
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:53 pm

Sorry, don't have time to 'shop a shotgun and bandolier onto him.

...plus some spurs onto his space-age-carbon-graphite-lighter-than-air shoes.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby QuantumWeaver » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:01 pm

There was also reference to home invasions in the discussion... so there! :mrgreen:

Same goes for the bike path... they're going to start pushing people and suddenly find they're getting their asses shot up. Ok... maybe a little dramatic, but if it does happen from time to time I'll sure have a good laugh over it.

I think we're all aware that crap is starting to get out of control around Madison... and maybe these assholes need a taste of their own medicine.
QuantumWeaver

Postby QuantumWeaver » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:03 pm

ilikebeans wrote:Image

Sorry, don't have time to 'shop a shotgun and bandolier onto him.

...plus some spurs onto his space-age-carbon-graphite-lighter-than-air shoes.

Come on... something this space age would have guns mounted on it... or you could just photoshop a laser beam on his head. Whatever works to keep the dirtbags at bay.
QuantumWeaver

Postby jman111 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:07 pm

QuantumWeaver wrote:they're going to start pushing people and suddenly find they're getting their asses shot up...if it does happen from time to time I'll sure have a good laugh over it.

nice- having a "good laugh" over people "getting their asses shot up"
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Town Vibe