MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
canoe rack
Friday, August 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 84.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Coveted pads

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Coveted pads

Postby narcoleptish » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:03 pm

snoqueen wrote:But it's a dump, narco. You don't want it, even for $49.95.

I guess I didn't convey enough sarcasm with the bar clamp comment. When I saw the sign go up I was predicting what I thought was a ridiculously high 250K. A half million seems comical. Lord knows how much water has poured into the place. It's had blue tarps on the roof for at least 10 years. The "new" clamped on rubber sheets must be considered an upgrade for resale purposes. A parking lot for the Goodman Center would be the best use for that property.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:14 pm

That would be a great use.

The current zoning is TE, which stands for traditional employment district and I'm not sure exactly what that entails. With a reasonably good proposal and appropriate groundwork the zoning could probably be changed, especially since the lot isn't adjacent to anybody's house according to the parcel map.

I know you were being sarcastic about the price, narco -- you've got more common sense than 95% of the people here. It's totally absurd. The current assessment is about $65K which seems to include 206 Waubesa St, the adjacent parking area owned by the same party.

Maybe they don't really want to sell it, they just want to look like they're trying to for tax purposes or something.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:26 pm

snoqueen wrote:narco -- you've got more common sense than 95% of the people here.

Whoa! What 5% of the forum do you think has more common sense than narco?

It's why he's on my island.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:09 am

narcoleptish wrote:I know exactly where c02 is talking about. Just drove by last week and thought maybe the porch had gotten even more packed. I think those 2 houses are in the group there designed by Cora Tuttle, possibly Madison's earliest female architect and a big fan of the bungalow style. I zoomed in on the DCI map and I think it's 1202 Grant. That one's a little rough looking but some of the other bungalows right around the corner on Vilas are really sweet.

That house at Vilas & Grant has been like that for at least 20 years. I used to walk by there all the time. I've always wondered whether the inside of the house was as crowded as the porch, or whether they'd emptied out the house by moving everything onto the porch. Maybe they were planning on refinishing the floors and still haven't gotten around to it.

In that same area I covet those 2 or 3 houses that are the only ones on Lake Wingra, on the end of Woodrow or Terry st.

Yeah. Actually, when Ms Kurt and I were penniless grad students, we used to dream about buying a house on Terry Place -- not one of the fancy ones, just one of the little cottages/ranches/bungalows. It'd be pretty sweet to be right there by Wingra Park and the lake.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:24 am

While we're reviving this thread I'll just add that I was shocked recently on a drive through Maple Bluff. On the sharp turn at the top of the bluff where this house was built less than 10 years ago...

...now resides a vacant lot and the foundation of a new house! That wasn't exactly a "tear-down" as they call the remaining few cottages or normal sized homes on the lake. On the off OFF chance that they tore that monster down to build a normal sized house, I will send them a card of congratulations for thinking "Outside-of-the-Bluff".
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:54 am

Nice to see you finally got that drone working!

But hey. The rich are different from you and me, and it's not just that they have more money. They also have the taste of a bunch of Visigoths. Maple Bluff on the whole is a prime example, especially the lakefront.

Thankfully, we have them corraled all in one place so the rest of us can live normally.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:26 am

...and speaking of free advertising:

http://host.madison.com/wsj/business/re ... 963f4.html

I wonder if Karen Rivedal realizes that that house has been for sale for most of a year? Might have checked that out when the "anonymous" tip came in that one of the most important people in the world is trying to sell his house. (But not having any luck)
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:16 am

narcoleptish wrote:That wasn't exactly a "tear-down" as they call the remaining few cottages or normal sized homes on the lake.

Not sure how I missed this post, but we've been intrigued by this for months. Prior to tearing down the "old" place, there were firefighters from the bluff and other communities training there for some time. Don't know if there was an initial fire or other catastrophic event that effected the tear down.

The house interior had a quite unique look, almost medieval in style. It had been listed for about 7 million, if I recall correctly, at the height of the market. The price had dropped to around 3 more recently, so maybe someone thought that one of the (arguably) best views across Mendota to the isthmus was worth that much.

Luckily for homebuilders and other craftsmen, we have just such thoughtful job creators amongst us.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:06 pm

Wonder if they donated all the fancy cabinetry, marble, and medieval woodwork to Habitat for Humanity before they pushed the walls over. Somebody could have built three or four regular houses out of the salvage from that place.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:58 am

Wow, the envy is out of control here. Who cares if some trust fund baby or entrepreneur is doing dumb things? Electricians, plumbers and carpenters are benefitting. So is Maple Bluff in tax revenue.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:12 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Wow, the envy is out of control here. Who cares if some trust fund baby or entrepreneur is doing dumb things? Electricians, plumbers and carpenters are benefitting. So is Maple Bluff in tax revenue.

That is correct. Tradespeople and others often benefit from unfettered ostentation. We should not question our job creators.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:18 pm

rabble wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:Wow, the envy is out of control here. Who cares if some trust fund baby or entrepreneur is doing dumb things? Electricians, plumbers and carpenters are benefitting. So is Maple Bluff in tax revenue.

That is correct. Tradespeople and others often benefit from unfettered ostentation. We should not question our job creators.

Good lord. The crazy is strong in this thread.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:12 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Good lord. The crazy is strong in this thread.

Only in the last four posts.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:56 pm

I'm sorry about the unfettered ostentation part. It was only a little ostentatious.

We still shouldn't question the job creators though. Because plumbers and electricians.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Town Vibe