MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Coveted pads

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Coveted pads

Postby narcoleptish » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:59 pm

I was at a party in the church back in the 90's when it was first converted. A nook behind the former altar was a bar and we were doing "5-second shots" straight from the bottle, of what I can't remember. That's actually the last thing I do remember about that night.

Jason's original post pad is such a great old house. Not my style but beautiful none the less. It looks like something that should be on the New England sea shore. Letting it sit empty for so long is an injustice to the structure. I mean, what could they POSSIBLY have in mind for it? I think demolition would be out of the question. Dividing up into a multi-unit would probably be frowned upon too. Getting that house back to a lived-in state should be the number one goal of the Mansion Hill historic district people.

And would anyone from city government care to comment on the assessment drop? Reminds me of this thread I started.
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=45091&p=564428&hilit=+curiously+low+assessment#p564428

Incidentally, those two also received nice assessment reductions this year.

How does this work?

Edit- I looked at the landmarks list and the Carroll st. house isn't on there, although 5 of it's neighbors are. Maybe they are hoping to build something else there. Probably using the demolition-by-neglect long-term plan. It's not usually like me to criticize what other people do with their own property, but how many vacant/underused buildings from one family should we all have to look at?
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Broadsheet » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:41 am

I believe the Jackson House was originally built by Breese Stevens as a wedding gift to his daughter and Reggie Jackson. The Breese Stevens House is the red brick mansion next door that houses the Mullins offices now. It truly is a pity that no one has had the chance to enjoy living in the Jackson House all these years.
Broadsheet
Forum Addict

Postby anyportinastorm » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:17 am

Narco and I were probably at a couple of the same parties at the church..a friend of mine lived there in the 90s right when it was converted and we had LOTS of A-bars there--they actually turned the baptismal 'thingy' (sorry..the word escapes me...fount?) into a pseudo-hot tube! and WOW...they really cleaned the place up!
anyportinastorm
Forum Addict

Postby snoqueen » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:20 am

Actually there used to be some lovely little rental rooms, or tiny apartments, in the back wing of that red brick Mullins office building. I don't know if they're still rented out, but they were really nice "lady" apartments with sunny windows overlooking the street.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Argette » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:15 pm

I've been intrigued with the Jackson House since 1981 when I lived nearby. When Reginald Jackson died about 1986, I got to see the inside during a tag sale. Apparently when his mother, Elizabeth Breese Jackson died in the late 50s, the house was just shut down, with opened jars of jelly just left in the kitchen. The basement reeked of mold, and yes, there really is a movie theater down there (as neighborhood legend had it).

Reginald Jackson Jr, her son, never married and lived in a cottage near Picnic Point. Supposedly had lots of X-rated videos in his cottage.

Sorry to hear of the house's current state.
Argette

Postby LargeMarge » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:59 pm

narcoleptish wrote:House-wise I'd love any of the mid-century moderns on Plymouth Circle that back up to Hoyt Park.

Me too! I will never be able to afford one, but a girl can dream. I also covet all centrally-located, 2 (or more)-car garaged houses that have a small yard that could be fenced for my dogs.
LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Postby fennel » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:40 pm

LargeMarge wrote:Me too! I will never be able to afford one, but a girl can dream. I also covet all centrally-located, 2 (or more)-car garaged houses that have a small yard that could be fenced for my dogs.
What? No helipad or landing strip? And, naturally, your dogs would never bark or chase other animals, given they were raised to be good city citizens. But might they be happier where you imagine you are not? That is, in a rural space where you have large margins, and your dogs can run and covort freely?
The margins of forgiveness are not so wide in the city. Target practice with a Glock-9 in the back yard, for example: Damn fun – no doubt – but not something likely to endear oneself with neighbors who live within range.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Coveted iPads

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:59 pm

I would covet a Verizon 4G iPad with hot-spot capability.

nah.
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LargeMarge » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:23 pm

fennel wrote:What? No helipad or landing strip? And, naturally, your dogs would never bark or chase other animals, given they were raised to be good city citizens. But might they be happier where you imagine you are not? That is, in a rural space where you have large margins, and your dogs can run and covort freely?

Dog No. 1 rarely barks. She has zero prey drive. She prefers being with people. When given a choice between walking on grass or concrete, she chooses concrete. Dog No. 2 prefers the country. She enjoys chasing birds. I got them both as adults. I didn't raise them to be anything; the people that raised them abandoned them. I purposely chose small dogs so that a small area would be sufficient. Living in town allows me to spend more time with my dogs and less time commuting. When Dog No. 2 gets a job and supports me, she can choose where we live.
LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Postby fennel » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:09 pm

LargeMarge wrote:Dog No. 1 rarely barks. She has zero prey drive. She prefers being with people. When given a choice between walking on grass or concrete, she chooses concrete. Dog No. 2 prefers the country. She enjoys chasing birds. I got them both as adults. I didn't raise them to be anything; the people that raised them abandoned them. I purposely chose small dogs so that a small area would be sufficient. Living in town allows me to spend more time with my dogs and less time commuting. When Dog No. 2 gets a job and supports me, she can choose where we live.
Well, welcome to Madison, neighbor.

But I still think that if a city lot needs to be fenced, something isn't right. Where's the community in that?
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:53 am

Christ, fennel. Turn it down.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby CoffeeJones » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:13 am

green union terrace chair wrote:The Church
(corner of N. Butler and N. Hamilton)

This place is currently a five or six bedroom apartment up top and a four or so bedroom apt in the basement. The whole sanctuary is one big living room with a kitchen built into one corner. One of the bedrooms is the former choir loft.

With a lot of money to throw away, this would be an awesome mansion.

btw, great thread idea, Jason.

EDIT: Found the listing for this place: http://www.madisonproperty.com/apt_info ... 12&Stat=13

Be sure to check out the virtual tour. It's amazing the space inside that place.

This is the church my family went to in the sixties. It was called First Christian Church. I have a lot of great childhood memories that revolve around this building, and have always thought it would be a great place to live.
CoffeeJones

Postby c02 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:56 am

I knew a guy that lived in that place in the 90's. He once described a particularly disturbing "sewer trout" incident.
c02
Forum Addict

Postby wallrock » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:10 pm

I knew the guys that rented the Church back in my sophomore year and I went to more than a few parties there. It was one great location for a college party but if I recall the police were regularly called.

If you were to spend any time with my friend Erin you'd undoubtedly hear about how I once nearly broke my nose walking home from a party at the Church that had been busted up by the cops. She and I were walking down W Johnson coming up on State Street and when we came to the storefront next to the Noodles & Co. building what we thought was a mannequin in the window started wildly dancing as we walked up. Erin was understandably spooked and she jumped back into me, knocking me mid-stride face first into the tree in front of the store. I went down like a sack of potatoes and ended up on my ass with a cut on my nose and a bloody lip, with Erin (and the mannequin lady in the store) laughing hysterically. For the amount of times that story has been retold it might have been the funniest thing to happen to her the whole year. Why there were people in that store at 10:30 on a Saturday night I do not know, but it appeared there was a party going on inside. The fact that the mannequin was holding a wine glass should have tipped us off to begin with.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby c02 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:42 pm

narcoleptish wrote:... It's not usually like me to criticize what other people do with their own property, but how many vacant/underused buildings from one family should we all have to look at?

This comment sprung a certain home to mind in the Vilas neighborhood that has been bugging the hell out of me (curiosity-wise). For the more rooted Vilas dwellers, what is the deal with the home on the corner of Grant and Vilas? The porch is covered in 'stuff' to the point that the front door looks hidden. The first time I saw it I figured "floors must be getting done." That was years ago.
c02
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Town Vibe