MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, October 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 51.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

willy st co-op checkers elitist?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: willy st co-op checkers elitist?

Postby massimo » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:30 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
banjovee wrote:checkers at Jenny Market who are guilty of nothing more than smiling a hello and mooning at the clock.

They moon the clock? Are there any that aren't high schoolers that do this? Are they cute?

Being cute and female is a condition of being hired there as checker. Everyone knows this.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby crevice beatle » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:15 pm

massimo wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:
banjovee wrote:checkers at Jenny Market who are guilty of nothing more than smiling a hello and mooning at the clock.

They moon the clock? Are there any that aren't high schoolers that do this? Are they cute?

Being cute and female is a condition of being hired there as checker. Everyone knows this.

Close. Being cute, female, and having an appearance that brings into question where you fall within the age of consent law are the conditions of being hired there as a checker. The proper mode of operation is to just stare at your feet, pay, and walk away.
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:29 pm

crevice beatle wrote:
massimo wrote:Being cute and female is a condition of being hired there as checker. Everyone knows this.

Close. Being cute, female, and having an appearance that brings into question where you fall within the age of consent law are the conditions of being hired there as a checker. The proper mode of operation is to just stare at your feet, pay, and walk away.

As long as we're hijacking the thread, those conditions only apply after business hours. During the regular business day, the checkers are friendly, professional, and fun to banter with but much more diverse.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby melissa marie » Tue May 04, 2010 12:42 pm

Average Joe wrote:Do they recycle numbers? If so, they should auction off the 1, 2, 3 & 4 digit numbers off as a fund raiser. If not, I wonder how many 1, 2 & 3 digit members remain.

i actually thought of this the other day! they do not recycle numbers, but i thought 'gee, i bet there are people out there would would bet for lower numbers in order to feel more elite!' there aren't many one- or two-digits (one-digits are mostly 'misc' accounts; non-members, other co-op courtesy, etc.), but there are a good bunch of three- and four-digits that come in.
melissa marie

Postby HOMOsapien » Tue May 04, 2010 1:17 pm

crevice beatle wrote:Close. Being cute, female, and having an appearance that brings into question where you fall within the age of consent law are the conditions of being hired there as a checker. The proper mode of operation is to just stare at your feet, pay, and walk away.

Good advice. But, that's difficult considering the COOP's slow food polices which encourage people to slow down. Have you noticed that the checkers frequently point out that 'It's nice to slow down and talk to people?' I here that line often, but not always.

An acquaintance of mine and I were talking about this last week.

Me:

"The attractive and hip staff is part of the business model. Why doesn't the COOP just go all the way and require all the female checkers to wear a T-shirt that says 'I'm cute. I eat local organics.'"

Him:

"Why the organics part? Just be blunt, 'I'm cute.'"
HOMOsapien

Postby Ducatista » Thu May 27, 2010 1:46 am

HOMOsapien wrote:The attractive and hip staff is part of the business model.

I've been a member for over a dozen years and have never thought the staff is notably attractive or hip. Not that they're not, just that they're not remarkably so.

I've also never had rude service there, even when I'm done up in my yuppiemotherfucker best and/or need a bag. And I have a 5-digit number.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu May 27, 2010 8:14 am

Ducatista wrote:
HOMOsapien wrote:The attractive and hip staff is part of the business model.

I've been a member for over a dozen years and have never thought the staff is notably attractive or hip. Not that they're not, just that they're not remarkably so.

I've also never had rude service there, even when I'm done up in my yuppiemotherfucker best and/or need a bag. And I have a 5-digit number.

I'm not sure how it happened but it looks like a description of the Jenny market checkers has been applied to the Willy St coop checkers.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby KidCapitol » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:07 am

Numbers? fuck that.
I'm a human being. Not an object.
That's why I give my name only when I check out.
If they would ask for name and number both then I would give both. But since they are so object driven and ask for number only, fuck it, here's my name, look it up, if you don't like it, too fucking bad.
KidCapitol
Forum Addict

Postby fat_man2 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:50 pm

That's bold.
fat_man2

Previous

Return to Town Vibe