MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 44.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Huge fire at Silverstone Apts on High Point

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Huge fire at Silverstone Apts on High Point

Postby Lily » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:06 pm

I was sharing pizza with neighbors around 6ish tonight and we heard all these sirens going off. One of my friends is a former EMT and somehow knows what siren belongs to a type of vehicle? There were multiple fire trucks, police cars, ambulances, and later on news crews. Anyway we looked out the balcony and could smell smoke and could see a light grey cloud across the street. So we decided to investigate. It was two apartment complexes down from the Dean Care building--Silverstone. That particular building must be a total loss. There were tons of black smoke so I'm sure the surrounding buildings must have smoke damage and possibly the senior citizens apartment complex facing that direction. The smoke got much darker as we got closer and then we could see huge flames overtaking the upper balconies and roof. One of the most incredible things I've ever witnessed. The Beltline runs in back of the complex and traffic was almost at a standstill because of the smoke and onlookers. The high winds seemed to be making things worse. We stayed on the other side of the street to keep out of the way of working crews. As of 9 pm High Point Road is still blocked off. We'll probably be hearing about needed donations to Red Cross because whomever had items in there, well, they don't any more.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Town Vibe