MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 70.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Fireworks: Aren't there more important things?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Fireworks: Aren't there more important things?

Postby jjoyce » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:19 am

The way it's been sold to me, Ald. Thuy is a godsend because she keeps the loons on the council from spending our money on stupid ideas.

Yet here she is essentially demanding that the city pay for Elver Park fireworks because it impacts more people than some programs she doesn't name.

Ald. Pham-Remmele: As a constituent of yours, I'd like you to name a few programs that deserve to be funded less than the fireworks which, as far as I'm concerned, are a gigantic pain in the neck. They bring unwanted traffic to the neighborhood, drive the dogs insane and keep the cops preoccupied with some seriously unnecessary tasks.

I'm anti-fireworks. There, I said it.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Fireworks: Aren't there more important things?

Postby nevermore » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:47 am

Oh, you poor thing. Those Elver Park fireworks must be brutal for you. [/sarcasm] [/northsider]
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:14 am

jjoyce wrote:...drive the dogs insane...

And the kitties too!
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dairylander » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:27 am

The Elver show is special to a lot of kids who wouldn't otherwise be able to see fireworks.
That show serves neighborhoods where a lot of the kids don't have the resources to get to Warner.
Dairylander
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:31 am

I'd rather we bought them books and teachers than fireworks. This does seem like a no-brainer. The amount of money spent on fireworks could go a long way for year round programs rather than getting blown up. Par for the course for "fiscal conservatives" though/ They have no problem with spending a trillion on bombs but spend a million on feeding poor people it's "pork".
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:52 am

Dairylander wrote:The Elver show is special to a lot of kids who wouldn't otherwise be able to see fireworks.
That show serves neighborhoods where a lot of the kids don't have the resources to get to Warner.

You claim to be environmentally conscious, so consider this:

Fireworks produce smoke and dust that may contain residues of heavy metals, sulfur-coal compounds and some low concentration toxic chemicals. These by-products of fireworks combustion will vary depending on the mix of ingredients of a particular firework. (The color green, for instance, may be produced by adding the various compounds and salts of Barium, some of which are toxic, and some of which are not.) Some fisherman have noticed and reported to environmental authorities that firework residues can hurt fish and other waterlife because some may contain toxic compounds such as antimony sulfide.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dairylander » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:14 am

This isn't about the health concerns of fireworks, which I agree are a toxic mess.
It's about the city dropping $100,000.00 for police at Rhythm and Booms, then claiming that we can't afford to help out the Elver fireworks.
Dairylander
Forum Addict

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:22 am

Dairylander wrote:It's about the city dropping $100,000.00 for police at Rhythm and Booms, then claiming that we can't afford to help out the Elver fireworks.

For less than the cost of the fireworks and additional security, etc. at Elver, couldn't we just spring for some buses for the kids who don't have the resources to get to Warner?

Or, and here's a radical thought, maybe we shouldn't spend public funds on fireworks displays at all.

Serious question: Does R&B actually provide a boost to the local economy, or is it just an environmentally unsound money sink? The thought of all the car exhaust alone from such an event boggles my mind.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:30 am

jjoyce wrote:I'm anti-fireworks. There, I said it.

Jason, why do you hate America?

fisticuffs wrote:I'd rather we bought them books and teachers than fireworks. This does seem like a no-brainer. The amount of money spent on fireworks could go a long way for year round programs rather than getting blown up. Par for the course for "fiscal conservatives" though/ They have no problem with spending a trillion on bombs but spend a million on feeding poor people it's "pork".

You are the most hyperbolic generalist ever. How do you drag federal defense spending into a West Side Vibe thread?
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dairylander » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:31 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Or, and here's a radical thought, maybe we shouldn't spend public funds on fireworks displays at all.

I second that.
Unfortunately, R&B has become one of those "claims to fame" that city officials get off on.
Dairylander
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:39 am

You are the most hyperbolic generalist ever.

So you're comeback is more generalist hyperbole? I point out hypocrisy where I see it. West Side Vibe, Hype Exchange, Video Games. it's all the same.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:46 am

Its pure insanity that public funds go to fireworks shows.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:53 am

fisticuffs wrote:
You are the most hyperbolic generalist ever.

So you're comeback is more generalist hyperbole? I point out hypocrisy where I see it. West Side Vibe, Hype Exchange, Video Games. it's all the same.

My comment was hyperbolic in jest, but not generalist. I've just noticed that you seem to have a real us (good) vs. them (evil) mentality. You need to realize that not everyone who you disagree with is in cahoots with each other and that no one of them is representative of the whole.

Next time you see ...
Thuy : Elver Park fireworks :: "fiscal conservatives" : spending a trillion on bombs

... on the SAT, mark "False."
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:21 am

Fisticuffs isn't happy unless he's callin' out hypocrites... among those with which he disagrees, that is.

As for THIS THREAD, as I said above, I'm anti-fireworks. Why are they such a big deal? And are you serious with this stuff about providing the at-risk kids in our community with a fireworks display of their own?

Not even the point, which is that fiscal watchdog (or so she and her cronies would have us believe) Thuy Pham-Remmele is the one leading the charge for taxpayer money funding this thing. I say put it to a referendum. Or at least have a roll-call vote on the council floor.

As for fireworks displays generally, take the $40,000-plus that you'd spend on this thing and, instead, throw a free, kick-ass carnival in Warner. Or subsidize another full-time position at Meadowood neighborhood center in charge of recreational activities.

For someone who claims to be all about basic services and getting our priorities right, she's messed up on this one.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:24 am

I like fireworks. I don't think we should publicly fund them when there are better uses for those funds.

Careful what you wish for Jason. A referendum might not go the way you might think it would go.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Town Vibe