MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, November 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 17.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Fireworks: Aren't there more important things?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Fireworks: Aren't there more important things?

Postby Igor » Sun May 02, 2010 11:22 am

A couple questions/comments:

- Was Thuy advocating the city help pay for fireworks, or police coverage? I'm against the former but in favor of the latter.

- I think that there needs to be a consistent policy regarding police coverage for these types of events. It seems to me that six? years ago, both presidential campaigns and Mifflin Street did not pay for events, while Elver had to. It seems unfair to base your policy on whether there is someone you can bill.

- For Elver, I think that they are also hurt by the reqirement that the police work an 8 hour shift. While I don't doubt that they need police at Elver from 3-11, the greatest need for numbers is undoubtedly the second half of the shift. Also, I thought I read that the senior officers get first option at the shifts - not sure if that is accurate, but that would increase costs when combined with the holiday pay.

- I wonder if there would be any way to augment police coverage with more volunteers? It seems like maybe some of the more tedious tasks (say, standing by traffic barricades to make sure some idiot doesn't move them) might be handled by volunteers, so that the police could be deployed in other more critical areas. Based on personal experience, the end of the park by the new basketball courts is not an area that is particularly safe on the 4th.

- The digs against fireworks in general are IMO largely elitism. If fireworks hadn't been around forever, some European dude with a goatee and one name could come in and set them off, and art critics would rave about how they represented the transitory nature of life, or some other nonsense. But since the wrong sort of people like fireworks, it is genally considered cool to rag on them.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun May 02, 2010 11:30 am

Igor wrote:Was Thuy advocating the city help pay for fireworks, or police coverage? I'm against the former but in favor of the latter.

Police "coverage" is a given. Thuy wanted the city to pay for the fireworks when Woodman's initially pulled out their support.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Sun May 02, 2010 8:38 pm

Igor wrote:
- The digs against fireworks in general are IMO largely elitism. If fireworks hadn't been around forever, some European dude with a goatee and one name could come in and set them off, and art critics would rave about how they represented the transitory nature of life, or some other nonsense. But since the wrong sort of people like fireworks, it is genally considered cool to rag on them.

Yes, this is your opinion. The fireworks are loud, cause some dogs and others animals to go bonkers, and are a stress on still others is enough for me to say GO AWAY. If this is elitism, kiss my ass.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Town Vibe