MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, November 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 24.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

The Good Old Days - calling all old farts

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: The Good Old Days - calling all old farts

Postby donges » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:17 pm

chainsawcurtis wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Stanley Jordan used to play in the library mall, circa 1980, before he left town and went to NYC where his career took off. He played everything from Hendrix to Broadway show tunes with his unusual two hand tapping style, guitar on his lap.

Best street musician I've ever hear.

I engineered a demo tape for Stanley in a small studio in Ithaca NY in 1981. He had been crashing with student buddies that were going to school at Cornell and did a couple of gigs around town. I'm not certain but I think it was his first ever demo. I was flabbergasted.

[/threadjack]

For those unfamiliar with Stanley Jordan, check it out:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8094685026660127371&q=rigby#docid=4706224970606270541
donges
Forum God/Goddess

Postby frozenCow » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:48 pm

donges wrote:
chainsawcurtis wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Stanley Jordan used to play in the library mall, circa 1980, before he left town and went to NYC where his career took off. He played everything from Hendrix to Broadway show tunes with his unusual two hand tapping style, guitar on his lap.

Best street musician I've ever hear.

I engineered a demo tape for Stanley in a small studio in Ithaca NY in 1981. He had been crashing with student buddies that were going to school at Cornell and did a couple of gigs around town. I'm not certain but I think it was his first ever demo. I was flabbergasted.

[/threadjack]

For those unfamiliar with Stanley Jordan, check it out:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8094685026660127371&q=rigby#docid=4706224970606270541

I remember seeing Stanley Jordan play at the Union in 1981 or 82. About a week later I saw him play a gig at Merlin's. He was starting to get noticed, and he had an album for sale. I had never seen anybody play a guitar like that before, and I've never seen anybody play one like that since. He was amazing.
frozenCow
Forum Addict

Postby Broadsheet » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:12 am

How about the Union Terrace in the '70s before it got corporate and expanded and tame? I remember when it was a sweet, intimate, quiet, shady plaza for reading and talking that was also hip and hot -- blue jean cutoffs and young skin. Coffee was 11 cents. I was there this week and it felt like a cruise ship.
Broadsheet
Forum Addict

Postby Huckleby » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:22 am

You can't talk about the late 70's union terrace without mentioning the omnipresent, thick cloud of marijuana smoke. The friendly, bear-like cop ambled about with the air of Sargeant Schultz.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LaughingGirl » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:45 pm

I wasn't here in the 70's but the Terrace was still it's wonderful, smaller self till the mid 80's. I remember lying on the grassy slope, in the pot haze, listening to bands in the evening. I can't stand all that concrete. The Cardinal Bar, the New Bar, Club de Wash--I agree, the dancing/club scene was better then (but when was the last time I checked out the club scene?!?). I don't know about the 80's being dead though considering some of the outfits my teenager wears--no, not the leopard print spandex!--it seems that the early Madonna/Flashdance look is back to haunt a new generation.....
LaughingGirl

Postby gargantua » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:48 am

There were no brewpubs in the 80's. Makes me nostalgic for now.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Town Vibe