MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, July 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 71.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Appliance repair?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Appliance repair?

Postby WestSideYuppie » Sun May 23, 2010 8:20 pm

I've got a dead de-humidifier. These things seem to have a finite lifetime. The coils that are supposed to get cold, don't.

Does anybody know a good honest repair shop?
WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Appliance repair?

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Mon May 24, 2010 2:05 pm

Probably lost all its coolant to leakage. I could easily be wrong, but I'd wager that by the time you pay for a repair and recharge you're going to have spent close to what you would for a new unit. I'd do a general search for "appliance repair" and check those that claim to work on window AC units if you can't find specific reference to dehumidifiers, since the technology is fundamentally the same.

Generally speaking, you're right that appliances are a disposable commodity these days. I was having this discussion with a friend just yesterday how cheap coffee pots, toasters, vacuums, etc. are a virtual guarantee you'll be shopping for another inside of two years. It's pretty infuriating to think how many of these things must hit the landfill any given year.
Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon May 24, 2010 2:11 pm

What household appliance doesn't have a finite lifetime? Although I do have a 50 yo fridge in my kitchen.

Not a lot can go wrong with a dehumidifier. Compressor, refrigerant leak, fan motor.... I have no referrals for you (Sears maybe) but most likely you will be told it's not worth it, that the repair will be more than a new one. That's the cheap foreign labor world we live in. I commend you for actually wanting to repair something.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon May 24, 2010 5:07 pm

narcoleptish wrote:What household appliance doesn't have a finite lifetime? Although I do have a 50 yo fridge in my kitchen.

Some appliances older than a certain age you ought to replace simply for the energy savings. Refrigerators fall into this group.

It is true that appliances are rarely worth repairing, but isn't this because they've become so cheap? There used to be TV repairman around, which made sense when the average TV cost a month's salary.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon May 24, 2010 5:13 pm

perhaps try Gary's Appliance on the east side- Vondron Rd
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon May 24, 2010 5:24 pm

If you haven't tried this yet, it may be worth taking the cover off and checking for debris "in" the coils*. Often, just blowing compressed air "through" the coils* (or just wiping them out if they're really bad) will remove enough dust and debris to get it working again.

* This is a closed system, just like an A/C or refrigerator. You are only concerned with the airspace that surrounds the coils. That is, don't try to access the "inside" of the coils.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby WestSideYuppie » Mon May 24, 2010 8:28 pm

Okay, let me give this a shot... poke, poke...

PSSSSSTTTT! :shock:

Just kidding. Thanks for the advice. Dagnabbit, this is an Energy Star unit, and not unreasonably old. Now get ready for a rant...

All of the "white goods" in this house have expired, or have needed repairs, within 8 years of buying new.

Fridge: Blocked self-defrost drain due to design flaw, fixed by WSY on second try.

Dryer: Over-temperature fuse let go for no good reason, fixed by WSY.

Washer: Held together with duck tape because two screws fell out and are utterly inaccessible to replace.

Stove: Rusted out, developed bad connections. That's when I learned how heavy a stove is.

Dehumidifier: Pegged out, probably due to refrigerant leak as surmised, but possibly also compressor vanes worn out.

Toaster: Took too damn long to make toast. Eventually pegged out altogether.

Microwave: Stopped heating. WSY replaced defective high voltage diode, but still didn't work.

Dishwasher: Repaired by WSY after cherry pits got into the inner workings. Rusted out, racks more expensive than whole new unit.

I've repaired everything that could be figured out by someone who is reasonably handy, but this is absurd. :evil:

The only good news is that when I have been able to identify a faulty part, Sears Roebuck has always had a replacement.
WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon May 24, 2010 8:41 pm

Maybe try Kiefer's on Monona Drive? Here's a list from their site of what they repair:

AIR COMPRESSORS
ANIMAL CLIPPERS
BLENDERS
CAMCORDERS
ANTIQUE CLOCKS
COFFEE MAKERS
CROCK POTS
COW CLIPPERS
DEEP FRYERS
DEHUMIDIFIERS
FOOD PROCESSORS
FOOD GRINDERS
GRASS SHEARS
HAIR CLIPPERS
HEATERS
HEDGE TRIMMERS
HUMIDIFIERS
IRONS
LAMPS
MICROWAVES
MIXERS
PERCOLATORS
PIZZA OVENS
RICE COOKERS
ROASTERS
SHAVERS
VCR'S

If you go, please report back! I've always wondered about that place.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Mon May 24, 2010 9:29 pm

Why didn't I think of Kiefer's? Had a blender repaired there several years ago. Nice folks. Cool little shop. One of a dying breed.
Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue May 25, 2010 10:03 am

Thanks, I've been looking for a place to get my percolator repercolated.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue May 25, 2010 10:44 am

Uncle_Leaver wrote:Nice folks. Cool little shop. One of a dying breed.

I agree. I've had excellent service there in the past.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mpatton53719 » Sat May 29, 2010 4:12 pm

Uncle_Leaver wrote:
Generally speaking, you're right that appliances are a disposable commodity these days. I was having this discussion with a friend just yesterday how cheap coffee pots, toasters, vacuums, etc. are a virtual guarantee you'll be shopping for another inside of two years. It's pretty infuriating to think how many of these things must hit the landfill any given year.

kind of like the Duralast coffee pot..... Dura dont last more then 6 months.
mpatton53719

Return to Town Vibe