MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, December 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 24.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

vacant sewing shop on Willy

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

vacant sewing shop on Willy

Postby crevice beatle » Sun May 30, 2010 11:49 pm

I've been living on Williamson for the past 3 three years. If my memory serves me correctly, the sewing shop directly across the street from Mickey's has been closed for at least that amount of time; perhaps much longer.
Any eastsiders out there have any idea as to why it's been vacant for so long other than obvious economic woes? I believe it's up for lease but I have no idea if the owners of the original sewing shop are the also the building owners nor any other details.
Been discussing with neighborhood friends about what the area could use that would fit nicely there - both realistic and unrealstic -
So far I'm thinking a near east library branch (obviously not going to happen with the exansion of downtowns) or maybe a bookstore at least? Either that or another tavern; can never have too many of those.
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Re: vacant sewing shop on Willy

Postby Bwis53 » Mon May 31, 2010 8:05 am

My sewing teacher said Han's still repairs machines, in the back. High end machines just weren 't selling, hence the store closing. That's all I know.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon May 31, 2010 8:58 am

All I have is gossip but it says the Hans guy owns the building and doesn't feel like renting it out. Since the dropoff and pickup point for repairs is Gayfeather Fabrics next door, there's probably a connection there.

Much like Birrenkott Appliance at the corner of Atwood and Fair Oaks, I think. Never see anyone in that store but it stays and stays, we think because he owns the building and the laundromat and rents to Glass Nickel. Never researched it though.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby crevice beatle » Mon May 31, 2010 10:49 am

Hmmm, with so much window space in front, you'd think he might straigten up the stuff left behind. Walking by, the building appears as if everything of value was moved out and various display racks/cases are just left in disarray. It's too bad, that would be a nice spot for... something - perhaps, at the very least, some rows of plants. I also wonder if he is enforcing parking on that lot.
Last edited by crevice beatle on Mon May 31, 2010 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby snoqueen » Mon May 31, 2010 11:31 am

Birrenkott is very much alive as the go-to place for appliance repair on the east side. The guy is terrific and will come to your place and do everything he can to make sure your washer or dryer or whatever survives. He's truly old-school.

I don't think they sell a whole lot of appliances -- it would be hard to beat the big box prices -- but they definitely will sell you a new one if you need it. They've been in that same location for decades and I imagine their rent or mortgage isn't a whole lot, so they can live on a steady stream of repairs where a new business would have too much overhead.

Also they have very cool vintage appliance to look at (for fun) and can find parts for ANYTHING. It's kinda like a parallel to Howe Plumbing and Ace on Willy.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:22 am

snoqueen wrote:Birrenkott is very much alive as the go-to place for appliance repair on the east side. The guy is terrific and will come to your place and do everything he can to make sure your washer or dryer or whatever survives. He's truly old-school.

Didn't think of that. We dropped in after researching what we wanted in a new washer and found he didn't sell front loaders because they were too hard to repair. Yes, if he's got a thriving repair business he wouldn't need to sell a lot of appliances and I bet most of the sales would be to customers replacing old units. And if you want to keep your repair guy, you get the stuff he wants to repair. So that would explain why there's not a lot of store traffic.
snoqueen wrote:Also they have very cool vintage appliance to look at (for fun) and can find parts for ANYTHING. It's kinda like a parallel to Howe Plumbing and Ace on Willy.

Yeah, there was a wood stove in the front window that looked just like the one I remember in my grandparents kitchen on the farm in Massachusetts.

I still think it's an interesting coincidence that there's a laundromat in the same building, though. :-)
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind75 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:40 pm

24 hour diner, or...wait for it...gentleman's club!
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Return to Town Vibe