MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, November 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 37.0° F  Light Rain Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Buy Busse's Markway

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Buy Busse's Markway

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:50 am

Does anyone really think this dump is worth $325K? Yes, they have renter and probably 10-20 "regulars" that are good for another few thousand a month. Beyond that, it's all uphill. Does this place have a kitchen? I've been there a few times and can't remember if you know what I mean.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:04 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Does anyone really think this dump is worth $325K? Yes, they have renter and probably 10-20 "regulars" that are good for another few thousand a month. Beyond that, it's all uphill. Does this place have a kitchen? I've been there a few times and can't remember if you know what I mean.

Did you see Henry Vilas' link to the city assessor's site? First Weber is asking over DOUBLE its 2010 assessed value of $158,200.

I'm gonna guess there's some room for negotiation.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:33 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:Does anyone really think this dump is worth $325K? Yes, they have renter and probably 10-20 "regulars" that are good for another few thousand a month. Beyond that, it's all uphill. Does this place have a kitchen? I've been there a few times and can't remember if you know what I mean.

Did you see Henry Vilas' link to the city assessor's site? First Weber is asking over DOUBLE its 2010 assessed value of $158,200.

I'm gonna guess there's some room for negotiation.

Yeah, I did. Thought I might be missing something. I know that businesses sell for a certain multiple of their gross profit, but that seems high for a Miller Lite/beef jerky kinda place.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:51 pm

Is Mark Deadman still the owner?
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Smutterly » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:52 pm

I've been in there many times over the years. It appears the upstairs needs some work and the owner has been in a mode to do nothing and sell in as is shape. The bar itself isn't bad. It's not huge but they remodeled the back room over the years which gives it a little more space.

The kitchen part of it I'm sure needs some work. They haven't made any sandwiches in there for years but the bones are there if I recall correctly. It's been frozen pizzas for years.

It is definitely overpriced and he is asking double what he paid for it. Mark is a nice enough guy but the wrong business. I actually thought about the idea of buying it but at that price it's a no win with the work that is needed. If it was closer to 200k I can see a possibility. It would make a charming local place if you served good food. Although there is a number of bars in the area that all do the same thing.
Smutterly

Postby jman111 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:55 pm

Smutterly wrote: Mark is a nice enough guy but the wrong business.
excellent timing...
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Smutterly » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:59 pm

That's what she said...........(my first witty reply here)
Smutterly

Postby kweetech » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:45 am

Smutterly wrote: The bar itself isn't bad. It's not huge but they remodeled the back room over the years which gives it a little more space.

The kitchen part of it I'm sure needs some work. They haven't made any sandwiches in there for years but the bones are there if I recall correctly. It's been frozen pizzas for years.
Although there is a number of bars in the area that all do the same thing.

The back is ok..but I don't think there's a single level surface back there..watch your drink!
there aren't any decent bars on the northside (past dexters or ale asylum) that serve good beer and good food.
Busse's has potential for a great neighborhood bar...I know some folks that would be all over it if it weren't so overpriced...
kweetech
Forum Addict

Postby jjoyce » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:19 pm

I don't get all the concern about how they (he) are asking too much. If you want the place and think you can make a go of it, offer what you want to pay. If it's in as much trouble as you think it is, he'll take it.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Matt Deadman » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:22 pm

Wow, a little web surfing on sites I don't visit too often and I find a whole discussion on the family business, it's crazy what you find on the internet!

Good news everybody, because of your thoughts and concerns, I've shared them with the Busse's Markway Board of Directors during our annual Stockholder meeting in NYC and we've slashed the price all the way dow to $95,167.14. This offer is only good for the next 30 minutes though and while supplies last. Hurry and call as operators are now ready.

jjoyce wrote:I don't get all the concern about how they (he) are asking too much. If you want the place and think you can make a go of it, offer what you want to pay. If it's in as much trouble as you think it is, he'll take it.

Well said Jason!
Matt Deadman

Previous

Return to Town Vibe