MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 61.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

More black bear sightings

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

More black bear sightings

Postby Beaver » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:58 pm

It sounds like both of these earlier this week were in Pine Bluff. Between Cross Plains and Mt Horeb, straight West of Madison. Sounds like this problem will only get worse.

http://www.wkowtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=12658384

http://www.wkowtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=12648287
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Re: More black bear sightings

Postby supaunknown » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:20 pm

"Let the bears pay the Bear Tax. I pay the Homer Tax."
-HJS

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:33 pm

Beaver wrote: Sounds like this problem will only get worse.

Only if you consider it a problem.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:52 pm

They were here before we were.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:01 pm

Do these bears shit in the woods too?
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:14 am

Henry Vilas wrote:
Beaver wrote: Sounds like this problem will only get worse.

Only if you consider it a problem.

Would you consider them a problem if they were in your yard or on the hiking trail with you? I would. They are wild animals that can kill a person. Here was a black bear attack in Kentucky yesterday:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100629/ap_ ... ZpcnN0cg--
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:55 am

Beaver wrote:Would you consider them a problem if they were in your yard or on the hiking trail with you? I would. They are wild animals that can kill a person. Here was a black bear attack in Kentucky yesterday:

Oh fer the cry-i...

Yes, a black bear on the hiking trail would be a problem - as would be a rattlesnake, a rockslide, or a freak snowstorm.

All will kill you. Lots of things will kill you. Eventually you, and everyone you know, will die.

All you bear haters out there need to grow a pair.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:13 pm

Beaver wrote:Here was a black bear attack in Kentucky yesterday:

From your link: "The Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources said it was the first recorded bear attack on a person in the state that they're aware of."

Bet there were many more serious dog attacks in Kentucky just within the last year. Don't be so paranoid.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:44 pm

Bears can be driven away. They don't like the sound of bells, so just put several of them on your clothes. And pepper spray. Just let 'em have it in the face while you're jumping up and down to jangle the bells.

And you can get a good idea which sort of bears are in your area by examining their scat. Brown bear scat is dark brown, has a very pungent spicy odor when fresh, and usually contains the bones of small mammals or fish. Grizzly bear scat smells like pepper and has bells in it.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby CoffeeJones » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:02 pm

rabble wrote:Bears can be driven away. They don't like the sound of bells, so just put several of them on your clothes. And pepper spray. Just let 'em have it in the face while you're jumping up and down to jangle the bells.

And you can get a good idea which sort of bears are in your area by examining their scat. Brown bear scat is dark brown, has a very pungent spicy odor when fresh, and usually contains the bones of small mammals or fish. Grizzly bear scat smells like pepper and has bells in it.

Funniest post I've read today. Thanks!
CoffeeJones

Postby Beaver » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:29 pm

Marvell wrote:Yes, a black bear on the hiking trail would be a problem - as would be a rattlesnake, a rockslide, or a freak snowstorm.

I don't hike in Winter and the population or occurrence of those you list has not been increasing at all or nearly as much as the black bear population. I wouldn't expect those in my back yard or on trails near Madison, unlike black bears which are now possible. Your analogies are weak.

Henry Vilas wrote:From your link: "The Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources said it was the first recorded bear attack on a person in the state that they're aware of."

Which indicates black bears are becoming more of a problem than they ever were, right?
Last edited by Beaver on Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Exploding Pinto » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:58 pm

I seen me a black bear on the way up to Hurley, WI in May running across
the highway. Man that thing was booking it. It. was. awesome.

There is not a problem with a bear or a snake on a trail in the wilderness per se (i.e. animals in their natural environments). As Coolio once said, if you can't take the heat, get yo' ass out the kitchen.

The KY attack happened on Sunday, and Tim owes his life to one tough ass, bear-punching mother of a passerby. I bet Coolio can't beat up a wild
bear. I'm sure they'll kill this bear just as soon as they can find it.

Edge of Eden is a cool doc about a guy that raises two orphaned grizzly cubs in the Russian wilderness and teaches them how to survive on their own.
http://www.cbc.ca/natureofthings/bearman.html

Beaver wrote:Which indicates black bears are becoming more of a problem than they ever were, right?

Yea, and if someone was struck by lightning for the first time in KY on Sunday, lightning strikes would be more of a problem than ever too, I suppose.
Exploding Pinto
Forum Addict

Postby O.J. » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:11 pm

Beaver wrote:Which indicates black bears are becoming more of a problem than they ever were, right?

You could always seek shelter at La Lingerie. After all, it's by appointment only.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:09 pm

Exploding Pinto wrote:Yea, and if someone was struck by lightning for the first time in KY on Sunday, lightning strikes would be more of a problem than ever too, I suppose.

Indeed it would, especially if we knew the incidence of lightning was increasing, and people were seeing lightning in more places and more often than they had before, which is true for black bears. But I don't expect much safety concern from someone in an exploding pinto.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Exploding Pinto » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:05 pm

Oh, I'm not in an exploding pinto. I AM an exploding pinto. And I'm gonna go hard and fast and blow all over your face.

Are you trying to pretend like you've made any kind of point that would lead to an intelligent discussion on safety? You friggin' posted links to a couple of fluff pieces on two WI bear sightings, the first ever attack in KY (you didn't get the date of the attack right), and said there's a problem.

What's the problem? What's the solution? Nationally, I can pick an animal and demonstrate two sightings and an attack and state there's a problem too. Maybe you do have a good argument, but I can't read your mind to know. But aping your stupid comment, we shouldn't expect much of an intelligent discussion from a beaver.
Exploding Pinto
Forum Addict

Return to Town Vibe