MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 47.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Madison Mysteries

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Madison Mysteries

Postby ubiquity » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:35 am

Okay, I'm starting a list for some of the current ones I can think of:

1. The BP on East Wash, close to the Capitol: What in God's name is the story there? That place is almost empty, resembling a Soviet-era department store more than the minimart connected with a massive global conglomerate (with a rather tarnished reputation, but I digress...).

2. The hotel across from the Stadium on Monroe: What's the status with that joint? Starting to resemble our very own Ryugyong (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryugyong_Hotel).
ubiquity
Forum Addict

Re: Madison Mysteries

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:21 am

The unfinished hotel near the stadium is in bankruptcy. There is a thread about that someplace on this forum, but I'm too lazy to look it up.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LaughingGirl » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:43 am

Here's the hotel thread link. Ugh. I hate walking past it--between that and the public "art" in front of the stadium.....the intersection of doom.

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=47561&start=0&hilit=hotel+stadium+camp+randall
LaughingGirl

Postby fennel » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:17 pm

LaughingGirl wrote:... the public "art" in front of the stadium.....the intersection of doom.

You must be referring to that concrete column of fecal pellets. A friend recently told me these were meant to represent footballs. After looking at it for years, neither of us had guessed, so we had a good laugh. Kudos to the artist who was clearly more subversive than Karen Finley. (And to the memory of Jesse Helms: Put that in your pipe and ssssuck on it.")
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LaughingGirl » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:46 am

concrete column of fecal pellets

well there's an apt description!

Haven't heard Karen Finley's name in years. Maybe she can incorporate "Nail's Tails" (yes, that's what it's called) into her next piece.

(I still need to figure out how to properly insert quotes--I'll ask my kid...)
LaughingGirl

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:50 pm

It's actually "Nail's Tales," reference to a stupid inside joke between the hacky sculptor and his old college roomie.

And fennel, I know maintaining a cynical distance from the hoi polloi is your stock-in-trade, but really--you never knew they were footballs? They're football-shaped, and they're in front of a football stadium. Hardly Madison's greatest mystery.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:11 pm

ubiquity wrote:1. The BP on East Wash, close to the Capitol: What in God's name is the story there? That place is almost empty, resembling a Soviet-era department store more than the minimart connected with a massive global conglomerate (with a rather tarnished reputation, but I digress...).

Heh.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ubiquity » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:34 pm

I already belong to that.
ubiquity
Forum Addict

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:57 am

I refuse to go there also but I think they survive by being one of the few stations in the central city. Before the PDQ went in on Packers you could leave the airport heading west through town and not hit a gas station until the University Ave U-Pump. I don't think there's one on the westbound side of the street until Middleton. Seems odd.

Other mysteries:

The Careersmiths place on Regent by Greenbush with the mangled blinds for about 8 years now. Whenever I go to Greenbush I peek in there and twice the guy has been sleeping on the floor.

The popularity of Lazy Jane's.

Willy st. Elvira......she's a mystery.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ubiquity » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:07 am

Yes, the lack of filling stations on Westbound Packers to downtown via E. Wash or Gorham is weird/perplexing. Like the lone Citgo on Sherman, Marge's BP always provides that little extra shafting via a hiked-up fuel price, too

Careersmiths: good one. It's a pretty depressing sight.
ubiquity
Forum Addict

Postby juanton » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:26 am

What happened to Long Haired Running Man? I haven't seen him fight the sidewalks in a long while. What's his story?
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:53 am

narcoleptish wrote:The Careersmiths place on Regent by Greenbush with the mangled blinds for about 8 years now. Whenever I go to Greenbush I peek in there and twice the guy has been sleeping on the floor.

He lives there. I seem to recall he's blind and gets by doing audio to print transcription.

juanton wrote:What happened to Long Haired Running Man? I haven't seen him fight the sidewalks in a long while. What's his story?

I saw him riding a bike the end of last week. I don't know all his story but part of it has to do with mental health. His apartment is less than well-kept and he had buckets of powdered sugar.

From scraping it off powdered doughnuts. Really.
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:54 am

What was the story behind Madison Typewriter Exchange on Park? It shut down recently, but for two decades I would drive past and wonder a) if it was an actual business, and b) if so, how did it stay in business?

Also, I'm guessing that building was a former filling station. True?
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:14 pm

narcoleptish wrote:The popularity of Lazy Jane's.

I made my first trip there today, and it was pretty darn good. Lemon cream scone was killer.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:49 pm

I tried lazy jane's twice and granted it was years ago. Loud, crowded seating akin to eating in a hallway, kitchen yelling out names for pick-up that nobody could hear prompting everyone to look at each other and ask what name was called. Then the food was.......just food.

Walter wrote:
narcoleptish wrote:The Careersmiths place....

He lives there. I seem to recall he's blind and gets by doing audio to print transcription.

Well someone needs to go in there and fix his fucking blinds for him. And get him a mattress, I thought he was dead the first time until I saw a pillow.

Other mysteries:

edited by admin, 9/28/10

House on Corry with the elaborate garden box structure in the front yard, devoid of traces of life, let alone a garden, except for one dim light at night.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Town Vibe