MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Saturday, July 12, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 71.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

La Fete de Marquette

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

La Fete de Marquette

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:59 pm

I just drove by and there's a goddamn ferris wheel. Was that there last year? Remember a couple years ago when this thing was a beer tent and a stage in the Marquip lot? It seemed so quaint and (forgive this term) human-sized.

Can a move to Willow island be far off?
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Re: La Fete de Marquette

Postby Madsci » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:43 pm

Why don't they do this fest across the street in Bur Jones Field?

At least there is some shade over there.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cattyrood » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:37 am

I miss you guys. I used to post as cattyr, and lived in the country. Now I'm half a block from Willy St. Coop and absolutely love it.
cattyrood

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:41 am

I remember you, welcome back! Welcome to the neighborhood.

Maybe I'll see you at the festival, I'll be the one looking disdainfully at the hugeness of it all.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:04 am

I went last night and had a really good time. That Ferris wheel reminded me of days long past, the band was good, the beer was good, and the crowd was fun.

Since it's less than a mile away I'll be dropping in there pretty often over the weekend.

Did I mention I really like these neighborhood festivals? My only complaint is that the Atwood fest dropped the pet parade. That was a high point. Watching a child pull her goldfish in a bowl in her little red wagon down the street next to a hippie with his python wrapped around his neck, now that's entertainment.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:49 am

rabble wrote:My only complaint is that the Atwood fest dropped the pet parade. That was a high point. Watching a child pull her goldfish in a bowl in her little red wagon down the street next to a hippie with his python wrapped around his neck, now that's entertainment.

What rabble isn't telling you is that, five minutes later, the python ate the child and the hippie ate the goldfish.

That's why they dropped the parade.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:40 pm

Marvell wrote:
rabble wrote:My only complaint is that the Atwood fest dropped the pet parade. That was a high point. Watching a child pull her goldfish in a bowl in her little red wagon down the street next to a hippie with his python wrapped around his neck, now that's entertainment.

What rabble isn't telling you is that, five minutes later, the python ate the child and the hippie ate the goldfish.

But man, it was truly entertaining. Especially since they managed to pull the child out of the python before she got halfway in, which was what distracted everyone and gave the hippie the opportunity to snarf up the kid's carp.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:06 pm

For my money FdM is the best of the eastside fairs, particularly because of the open-air nightclub atmosphere on Friday and Saturday nights. All of a sudden the median age drops by about ten years...

I'm getting the yard work done tonight so I can spend many hours tomorrow.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:13 pm

I see Sonny Landreth is playing Sunday. A great swamp blues slide guitar player. Saw him some years ago at the Taste of Madison when he was first making a name for himself. Hope to make it down there to see him again.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:17 pm

I have to go to Bastille Days in Milwaukee instead due to a band-commitment, but I truly do love La Fete (and to a lesser extent Bastille, which is similarly one of the best Milwaukee street festivals).

That all being said, there is no reason to hate a ferris wheel.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby keelio » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:42 pm

Re: the Ferris wheel, which towered over the miniature Eiffel Tower...was that intentional? I mean, the original Ferris Wheel at the Columbian Exposition (1893) was America's attempt to outdo the French engineering marvel at the Exposition Universelle (1889). If not intentional...kind of a coincidental poke at the French.

Dobet Gnahore on Friday night was the highlight for me. She was exceptional, and her 3-piece backing band provided a very full sound canvas. Also enjoyed Les Saltimbanks on Saturday afternoon. Much fun...great festival, also my fave of the eastside events. Killer gazpacho from Madison Sourdough, too!
keelio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby talagaster » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:41 pm

What a shocker that the European-loving Willy St neighborhood would have a bigger celebration for Bastille Day than America's Independence Day. Fly the right Red, White, and Blue!

Naw, it's a wonderful fest. Though I picked a terrible time to go shopping at Woodman's, the search for a parking space near my apartment bordered on epic.
talagaster
Forum Addict

Postby juanton » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:05 pm

Marvell wrote:

I heard the parade was dropped because it would have cut into Last Crack's set.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby keelio » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:49 pm

talagaster wrote:What a shocker that the European-loving Willy St neighborhood would have a bigger celebration for Bastille Day than America's Independence Day. Fly the right Red, White, and Blue!...

Reiterating my post above, the All-American Ferris Wheel simply dwarfed le petit Eiffel Tower...so I'm thinking a bow was made to those who might play the national pride card.
keelio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:15 am

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Town Vibe