MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, September 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Woodman's East Parking Lot

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Woodman's East Parking Lot

Postby Ducatista » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:19 am

Exploding Pinto wrote:I know Woodman's, and there is nothing worse than going grocery shopping and not knowing where things are.

There's at least one thing: shopping at Woodman's.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Logjam » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:46 am

I like Woodman's East cause I know where to find everything:

Couple involved in borderline domestic assault - usually in the center aisles, say from the pickle/condiment aisle over to the coffee.

Sullen tween who was dragged to the store by Mom - back by the orange juice or dairy aisle - "hurry up Mom, its coooooold".

Huge lady blocking entire aisle with cart and buttocks - cold cereal.

Man shouting into cell phone at spouse about which brand to buy - bread/cracker aisle.

Teen who is trying to steal condoms - pretending to look at batteries.

Lady in Aaron Rodgers jersey (formerly Brett Favre jersey) - meat or liquor store.

People who generally look disgusted at their decision to shop at Woodman's - produce section.

People who are going to steal all your shit - parking lot (night)
Logjam
Forum Addict

Postby rrnate » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:03 am

In Woodman's East, customers laugh at YOU.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Exploding Pinto » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:12 am

Sounds like we have a couple privileged yuppie whites in our midst. What should we do about this, Cocoa?
Exploding Pinto
Forum Addict

Postby rrnate » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:22 am

Exploding Pinto wrote:Sounds like we have a couple privileged yuppie whites in our midst. What should we do about this, Cocoa?

Some of the customers at Woodman's are ...***snicker...fat! A few of them are even...tee hee...not as attractive as I'd like them to be. High fives for everyone!
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Pogoagogo » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:31 am

Privileged? That's funny.

Not privileged. Just aware that breaking up the shopping at Costco (for meat, bulk stuff, some produce), Trader Joe's, and Target costs about the same as Woodman's. The quality is way better when it comes to meat and produce, and the experience, if not enjoyable, is usually pleasant.

The only thing worth buying from Woodman's, is liquor.
Pogoagogo
Forum Addict

Postby Exploding Pinto » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:44 am

Cocoa, are you watching this!?!? OH, THEY'VE GONE TOO FAR!!

On another note, I did go to Woodman's East yesterday. Aside from being shot at and stabbed, I did see something that I have never seen before (in any store):

Young lady was walking her road bike right along with her through the aisles, as she shopped with a basket in the other hand. What? Why? She left her helmet on too. Talk about privileged yuppie whites!
Exploding Pinto
Forum Addict

Postby frozenCow » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:15 am

Ah yes… Woodman’s.
Prior to the arrival of Madison’s first Woodman’s on Milwaukee St in 1979, the east side had several smaller neighborhood supermarkets. The old C&P on Cottage Grove Rd, the super market at the Lake Edge Shopping Center (a Kroger store in the 1960s, an IGA in its final days), the little grocery store at Steven’s Corners (later Steven’s Bar), the Sentry store on Monona Drive (Metcalfe’s first store, before he bought the Hilldale store), and probably others that I’m forgetting. Within a year or two, Woodman’s put them all out of business.

In the Madison of today, with its huge big box stores and buying clubs like Sam’s and Costco, the concept of a large warehouse grocery store sounds passé. But in the Madison of 1979, Woodman’s was a big deal. Besides its economies of scale, Woodman’s brought a new fangled device to town that was claimed to reduce time and costs: scanners at the checkout lanes. And during those high inflation days, everyone went to Woodman’s to save money.

Even Copps (Yes, there was a previous incarnation of Copps in Madison from the late 1960s to the early 1980s) changed their grocery operation to a warehouse style self pricing and self bagging system, in an effort to reduce costs and compete. However, in all fairness, it was the arrival of Shopko in 1981 (which was closer to Copps’ business model at that time) that probably killed the first version of Copps. In the early 1980’s, the west side saw the arrival of the first CUB Foods (another reduced cost, self bagging operation), and everybody on the West side went there to save money. Soon, (like about 1983) the west side also received a Woodman’s.

But since those days, the Woodman’s stores have changed. They are much bigger now, and therefore it takes much longer to shop there. It takes even longer to checkout and leave. Also, Madison is not the same place it was back then either. Madison is bigger, has more people, has more poverty, and therefore has all the problems associated with more people and more poverty. I’m not surprised Walter sees people at Woodman’s he knows from his police work, and I’m not surprised Bwis53 has felt unsafe there too. In the 1970s, there were no places in Madison where I felt unsafe. But in the present, I’ve seen some scary looking people around town, many of them at Woodman’s (and Wal-Mart). Usually after dark. At certain times, the Copps on Whitney Way can be kind of scary too, depending who gets off the bus at the West side terminal.

You hear more now about crimes of opportunity (like purse snatching) that were uncommon in the old days. I’ve heard stories about purses snatched right out of carts and robberies in the parking lots, at both Woodman’s. And still, I see people leaving there valuables in their carts unattended. Either these people are naive locals who think Madison hasn’t changed, or they are naive transplants who think Madison is so much safer than where ever they originated from. Also, the shoplifting must be rampant. Has anybody else noticed how many items at Woodman’s (like razor blades) are no longer actually on the shelves? You need to redeem a picture of the item to actually purchase it. The scary factor goes up at night, and those big parking lots have some dark recesses.

I shopped at the east side Woodman’s for years, mostly in the 1980s and 90s. In the past ten years, I’ve been shopping more at the west side Woodman’s. Is one better than the other? No. They both still save you money (although Target can beat them on some items). But both Woodman’s can also be a crowded, time consuming, hassle. Watch your valuables at both, and park closer to the door after dark.
frozenCow
Forum Addict

Postby Goober McTuber » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:52 am

frozenCow wrote:Ah yes… Woodman’s.
Prior to the arrival of Madison’s first Woodman’s on Milwaukee St in 1979, the east side had several smaller neighborhood supermarkets. The old C&P on Cottage Grove Rd, the super market at the Lake Edge Shopping Center (a Kroger store in the 1960s, an IGA in its final days), the little grocery store at Steven’s Corners (later Steven’s Bar), the Sentry store on Monona Drive (Metcalfe’s first store, before he bought the Hilldale store), and probably others that I’m forgetting.

Eagle on E. Washington at First Street?
Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Postby Remember_Me » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:34 pm

Exploding Pinto wrote:
Young lady was walking her road bike right along with her through the aisles, as she shopped with a basket in the other hand. What? Why?

Wow. You're so quick to rush to judgment.

Did you ever even consider that might be her seeing eye bike??

You're so insensitive.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:56 pm

Goober McTuber wrote:
frozenCow wrote:... and probably others that I’m forgetting.

Eagle on E. Washington at First Street?

There was an Eagle foods in Westgate mall too.
And what looks like what used to be a Kohl's on Monona Drive (where Rubin's furniture is now). Distinctive building.
Also, I'm pretty certain that West-side Woodman's actually pre-dates the West-side Cub's.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:57 pm

Remember_Me wrote:
Exploding Pinto wrote:
Young lady was walking her road bike right along with her through the aisles, as she shopped with a basket in the other hand. What? Why?

You're so insensitive.

Talk about INSENSITIVE.
It would be a "service bike."
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:35 pm

jman111 wrote:
Remember_Me wrote:
Exploding Pinto wrote:

You're so insensitive.

Talk about INSENSITIVE.
It would be a "service bike."

Yeah, I thought about that too.

I just wasn't sure if people would know what I meant by saying service bike.

Either way, it's still important to me that people know I'm insensitive regardless.

:shock:
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:59 pm

Remember_Me wrote:Did you ever even consider that might be her seeing eye bike??

Did she have it on a harness?
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:14 pm

It's those robots that push long trains of shopping carts that frighten me.

What if they become self-aware and choose to crush their masters?
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Town Vibe