MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 37.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Woodman's East Parking Lot

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Woodman's East Parking Lot

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:52 pm

I love corn cob. Its been a go-to nonsense insert since college for me.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby frozenCow » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:56 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:FrozenCow, a minor correction to your chronology. A & P bought out Eagle and then Kohl's took over A & P. The Southside Post Office was an Eagle, then an A & P. There was also an A & P on Parkt St. where the Copp's store is located. When Kohl's bought the Madison A & P chain, they closed the southside location and eventually the post office moved in.

At least that's what I remember.

Henry, I didn't see your post until now.

It is hard keeping up with those name changes because they did it so frequently. But I do remember when the current south side post office was an A&P in the early 70s. Then it became a rather fancy looking a post office.

There was an identical looking A & P store (with the colonial style roof) on the east side, just behind the McDonald's on East Wash. American Family owned and used the east side building in the 80s and 90s. I think they donated it to the Salvation Army or some other community service organization.
frozenCow
Forum Addict

Postby Bwis53 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:17 am

Don't forget the Red Owl.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby frozenCow » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:03 pm

Bwis53 wrote:Don't forget the Red Owl.

Oh yeah, the Red Owl on Hammersley Rd by the beltline next to Odana Golf Course. That later became a post office depot and now Upper Iowa University. They recently added a second story which makes it look less like a former grocery store.
frozenCow
Forum Addict

Postby Average Joe » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:46 pm

The Red Owl (or maybe it was the A&P) would give out S&H Green Stamps. I remember helping my mom lick & stick the stamps into the books to redeem them for some bath towels and a sauce pan.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby frozenCow » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:20 pm

Average Joe wrote:The Red Owl (or maybe it was the A&P) would give out S&H Green Stamps. I remember helping my mom lick & stick the stamps into the books to redeem them for some bath towels and a sauce pan.

Wow, that takes me back. I almost forgot about S&H Green Stamps. We used to get them from the stores on the east side too. Forget which ones (Sentry, C&P, Kroger's, Piggly Wiggly).

I recall you got a string of them with your bags of groceries, but it took a ton of them to redeem anything. Like several books full to get an item. Can you imagine consumers today waiting for a year or more to collect enough green stamps to get a sauce pan?
frozenCow
Forum Addict

Postby Bad Gradger » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:17 pm

I had no idea the south side post office had been a grocery store, but it explains a lot about that building. What kind of options did folks on the isthmus and downtown have back in the day?

This is an interesting discussion, much better than a bunch of co-op/TJ's/Whole Paycheck aficionados bemoaning the plebs who shop at stores that working people can afford.
Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:52 pm

Treasure Island!
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby chumley » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:07 pm

i remember treasure island fondly. when they were going out of business, i went there with my folks and convinced mom to buy me a shirt that i meant very specifically to wear the next time i went to the rollerdrome. sadly, i have no memories of how said shirt went over when i finally got to wear it.
chumley

Postby frozenCow » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:22 pm

Bwis53 wrote:Treasure Island!

Remember the distinctive roof? It looked like this:

VVVVVVVVVVVVVV

I could explain what Treasure Island was, but Wikipedia does it so much better.
frozenCow
Forum Addict

Postby frozenCow » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:36 am

chumley wrote:i remember treasure island fondly. when they were going out of business, i went there with my folks and convinced mom to buy me a shirt that i meant very specifically to wear the next time i went to the rollerdrome. sadly, i have no memories of how said shirt went over when i finally got to wear it.

Wow, two golden oldies in one post: Treasure Island and the Rollerdrome.

For the uninformed, "The Rollerdrome" was an east side rollerskating rink located on Hwy 51, right next to the Badger Drive-In (theater). Today, the former Rollerdrome is occupied by Ancora Coffee (accross Hwy 51 from MATC).

To this day, if I ever hear the song "Brand New Key" it takes me back to the Rollerdrome. That song was played constantly whenever I was there in the early 70s. The last time I remember being there was like 1977.

Also in the early 70s, they built a west side roller rink called "The Wheel Thing" on the "new" stretch of Odana Rd, just east of Gammon Rd. I went there with a school club from 1973-76. I don't know when it closed, but today the building is occupied by an Indian restaurant.
frozenCow
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:19 am

Bad Gradger wrote: What kind of options did folks on the isthmus and downtown have back in the day?

A campus area supermarket burned down during the days of rage in the late 60s/early 70s. A Kroger (maybe)? I was in the Navy at the time and wasn't around when it was destroyed.

Edit: Soglin writes about it. Yes, a Kroger on University Ave. It was firebombed.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby frozenCow » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:46 am

Henry Vilas wrote:
Bad Gradger wrote: What kind of options did folks on the isthmus and downtown have back in the day?

A campus area supermarket burned down during the days of rage in the late 60s/early 70s. A Kroger (maybe)? I was in the Navy at the time and wasn't around when it was destroyed.

Edit: Soglin writes about it. Yes, a Kroger on University Ave. It was firebombed.

This is the Kroger grocery store you speak of. It was new when this photo was taken in 1955. It once stood near the corner of Gorham and University Ave. By 1970, this store was a known student rip-off joint. It represented "the establishment", and with few regrets by the protesters, it was firebombed during an anti-Vietnam War protest. Molotov cocktail to the roof, as I heard it. It was replaced in the early 70s by an IHOP, and for the next 20 years generations of students got bombed in a different way, and dined there after bar time. Today it is a student high-rise apartment building . Image
http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/whi/fullRecord.asp?id=36395
frozenCow
Forum Addict

Postby snoqueen » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:18 am

Wow, I never read that narrative before. I remember most of it pretty much as written, including the police riot in 1970.

If you don't read the whole thing (it's long), at least start about 1/5 of the way down and read where he describes 1970. This period of time has come up in other Forum threads regarding Sterling Hall. Maybe you'll get a feel for what was going on in Madison (and in the country) 40 years ago... some of it 40 years ago this month.

It seems crazy on all sides, but it's all part of history. And sanitized history is no history at all, so don't pretend the cops didn't do what he says they did. The force stayed that way until the first Soglin era when David Couper was police chief and dragged his department kicking and screaming into a more progressive era.

But all that being said, what a good narrative! I'd forgotten parts of it, like the Bandy Houses (a tale of early urban redevelopment gone wrong) and Common Market and Kaleidoscope and even Take Over (of which I am an alumna, though not always a defender).

Here's hoping everybody's 20s are as memorable, if not as violent.

The Kroger's on University was indeed firebombed (before I got to Madison, so I don't remember that one). The funny thing was the FLOOR survived. It was that 60's red and white tile, most likely asbestos. After clearing the fire remains away, someone turned the area into a parking lot and you could park your car on this nice red and white checkered floor.

Now the site is underneath one of the student apartment towers on University, maybe La Ciel. The IHOP was a lot or two to the east, but on the same block.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:37 am

There used to be a Kroger store at the East Side shopping center as well.

I don't recall there being any concerns about parking lot security. Perhaps it was before crime was invented.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Town Vibe