MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, December 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 20.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Do you want a third garbage bin?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Do you want a third garbage bin?

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:11 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:While I do my own composting, for many that is not an option, especially condo/apartment dwellers.

Backyard bins, no. Countertop bins? Yes.

What would condo/apartment dwellers do with the composted material? I produce many cubic yards of the stuff every year and put it on my garden. Others don't have that option.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:22 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:What would condo/apartment dwellers do with the composted material? I produce many cubic yards of the stuff every year and put it on my garden. Others don't have that option.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls= ... =&gs_rfai=

Overflow could go to the Dane Co. composting sites, or they could sell it to their landowning gentry neighbors.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Abdul » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:41 pm

Ok, some facts.

On average 8.8 percent of the material that is collected for recycling ends up in the landfill. Almost all of that is material that should not have been put in the bin in the first place like plastic tubs.

It is not a good idea to give everyone a back yard compost bin. Home composting requires some degree of commitment and attention. It is not realistic to expect the majority of folks to take the time needed to compost on their own.

Also, the organics collection offeres the option of composting lots more material than you can do in your back yard including contaminated paper such as napkins and paper towels, meat, bones, sauces and gravy, pet waste, and disposable diapers.

The collected material would be composted in a digester that would generate methane that would be captured and burned for electricty or converted into truck fuel. Can't do that in your back yard.

Kid Capital wrote "It would get disgusting and reek really really bad. " It would not stink anymore than your regular garbage bin does now. Its the same stuff, just in a different cart.

The collection of the organics would be done every week. The rest of the stuff that is not composted or recycled would be collected every other week, perhaps monthly. We would not need to add a lot of trucks to get that collected.

Some of the carbon generated by these extra trucks can be offset by picking up grass clippings in the summer cutting down on drives to the drop off sites for the folks who still bag their grass.
Abdul

Postby Crockett » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:17 pm

Whats so bad about throwing veggie scraps in a landfill? Of all the things to throw there I'd think those are some of the least offensive.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:25 pm

In a landfill, methane is a waste product and the bulk of the cost after shutdown is dealing with that waste. It doesn't get used for anything because it's uncontrolled ie they don't know what's in that gas that they're trying to dispose of and it comes out when it wants, where it wants, at its own speed. That might have changed by now for some landfills, but that's what I learned some years back.

So the less garbage gas they have to deal with after they shut down and cover the landfill, the better. They'll never get rid of it but every little minimization helps. Putting the garbage where you can reclaim some of it makes a better disposal system.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:56 pm

Abdul wrote:It is not a good idea to give everyone a back yard compost bin. Home composting requires some degree of commitment and attention. It is not realistic to expect the majority of folks to take the time needed to compost on their own.

That I will say is not true. I just threw a bin of it in my back yard not 10 minutes ago. I have a food bin under the sink. I throw it in the composter and done. Some may say turn it, or do this or that. I really do nothing and, with what I eat, it has magically turned into very rich compost with little to no work. Don't believe the hype. Set it and forget it.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby persia » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:53 pm

Don't be silly, Europe, where the current trash idea comes from, only has two cans. You can't mess with these imported ideas...
persia
Forum Addict

Postby Average Joe » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:01 pm

persia wrote:Don't be silly, Europe, where the current trash idea comes from, only has two cans. You can't mess with these imported ideas...

The only thing that could possibly be more terrifying about the punctuation in your sentence is if it had been written by Susan Atkins.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby KidCapitol » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:35 am

Nope.
I don't need a third bin.
Already overwhelmed with the two we do have.
Not enough space and I already struggle enough wheeling them both down to the curb.
Will continue to compost, throw away or put down the sink the veggie scraps we got.
KidCapitol
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Town Vibe