MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, January 26, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 13.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Peace Park code of conduct

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Peace Park code of conduct

Postby jjoyce » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:37 pm

Do the proposed rules at the Peace Park visitors center discriminate against the homeless? Not in my view. Like most of us, a large number of the city's homeless want nothing to do with the jerks who make trouble for State Street cops, visitors and business people.

Can we not tell the truth about this issue? State Street has taken a beating over the last ten years, mainly because the city incrementally tore it up and put it back together in the summer months, effectively discouraging people from heading down there to shop. The construction was necessary, although some argue it could have been done over a shorter period of time and more efficently. But is the notion that it was disruptive in dispute?

These downtown business owners feel like few are listening to their concerns and attempting to turn the discussion into a pro/con homeless argument is missing the point. Hell, a lot of these panhandlers aren't even homeless! The problem is the group of habitual offenders who consume resources at a ridiculous clip.

http://www.thedailypage.com/isthmus/art ... icle=24564

It's this group of ne'er do wells, as much as anything, that hurts the truly homeless in our community and those who advocate on their behalf.

I'm a supporter of Porchlight, Tenant Resource Center and other non-profits that help out the homeless in our community every day. But I am not a supporter of continuing to enable these surly drunks who make it hard for local businesses to operate on State Street.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Peace Park code of conduct

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:47 pm

Are you channeling Neil Heinen?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:53 pm

Even if the propiosed rules do not discriminate, it will be very interesting to see if the enforcement is discriminatory.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:01 pm

I fully support the discrimination of ne'er-do-wells engaged in ne'er-do-well-related activity. It just so happens that some ne'er-do-wells are homeless. And there are plenty of homeless people who are not ne'er-do-wells. If the latter group does not suffer unjustly from these rules because they're not engaged in the outlined activities, then what's the problem?
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:47 pm

My own personal experience with my co-workers and enforcement activity on State is all behavior based.

If anything, some business owners want discriminatory enforcement, which we refuse to do. Case in point: There was a store owner in the 600 block of State who didn't like "dirty, scary people" sitting on the bench in front of her business all day and demanded they should not be allowed to sit there.

Fuck that. They have every right to be there as much clean, nice people, as long as their behavior isn't outside of the law.

They put in all these places to sit and gather on a public street and then want to say only a certain kind of person should be allowed to use them. Those amenities are for everybody, jag-offs. Are people in charge of the redesign of State Street so short-sighted as to not realize homeless people are going to hang out on benches and in the park?

I have no problem jacking up people (dirty and poor or clean and rich) for getting out of line. Just don't get out of line and you won't get the attention.

And I don't see how a rule can be made for and enforced against smelling bad in a public place. If a private place, which I doubt the Peace Park center will be, asks someone to leave based on a complaint of body odor, and that person refuses to leave the private place, then I see a trespassing after notification violation. But I don't see how that flies in an open during operating hours public place.

There must be something wrong with this city. The damn cops go blathering on and on like liberal commie hippies...do I need to go out and do a 4th Amendment violation just to redress the balance or what?
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:01 pm

Walter wrote:There must be something wrong with this city. The damn cops go blathering on and on like liberal commie hippies...do I need to go out and do a 4th Amendment violation just to redress the balance or what?

Give a suspect a little kick next time just to put the universe back into balance.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby David Blaska » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:04 am

jjoyce wrote:Do the proposed rules at the Peace Park visitors center discriminate against the homeless? Not in my view. Like most of us, a large number of the city's homeless want nothing to do with the jerks who make trouble for State Street cops, visitors and business people.

Am I in heaven? Is this the Great Rapture? Have I gotten through to at least one liberal? Hal Lee F-ing Lu Ya! It's a miracle. One more and I get sainthood.
David Blaska
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:32 am

David Blaska wrote:Am I in heaven? Is this the Great Rapture? Have I gotten through to at least one liberal? Hal Lee F-ing Lu Ya! It's a miracle. One more and I get sainthood.

I guess if you keep telling yourself that you actually have any influence over anyone it makes you feel better. I guess you were a little bummed the ordinance didn't ban baggy pants and brown people.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:10 pm

So BO and public drunkenness in that small park is not to be allowed, but BO and public drunkenness up and down the rest of state street is fine? Because the latter pretty much defines state street after about midnight. Basically, the people being targeted would just have to walk around and scream wildly for no reason and they'd fit right in.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:21 pm

Who invented the b.o. meter and where can I get one?
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cxl01 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:10 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Are you channeling Neil Heinen?

There’s a lot of talk around this town about people channeling me. This implies that I have died and passed to a place from which I can be mystically channeled.

Despite these implications I am quite alive. In fact I’ve never felt better.

However, for the record, we support death. It’s normal. It's natural. It's part of the cycle of life. We think it’s a good thing.

cxl01
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Scotty » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:29 pm

cxl01 wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Are you channeling Neil Heinen?

There’s a lot of talk around this town about people channeling me. This implies that I have died and passed to a place from which I can be mystically channeled.

Despite these implications I am quite alive. In fact I’ve never felt better.

However, for the record, we support death. It’s normal. It's natural. It's part of the cycle of life. We think it’s a good thing.

Spot on. Well done. (grin)
Scotty
Forum Addict

Postby Ingabinga » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:26 pm

What about vomiting? Will vomiting be permitted? Vomit smells really bad but it doesn't seem to be against the code of conduct for the rest of State Street.
Ingabinga

Postby Walter » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:11 pm

To quote the bartender in "Harvey": There's two schools of thought on that.

Some think it does fall under "Depositing Human Waste Products Regulated" MGO 7.321, while others disagree. The body is certainly rejecting stomach contents so the vomit could be a human waste product.

However, drunken vomiting, as is the usual case on State Street, is an involuntary expulsion at the point of the possible violation, unlike urinating or defecating, which is done usually done at a time and place of the violator's choosing.

Unless all three are done without the control of the person, in which case they would probably go to Detox, where they get a hose down, paper pants, and bill for their stay. If they are with friends and escape police attention, they hopefully avoid going out Bon Scott style and wake up with a monster hangover, crusty on the outside and down there.

I'll have to check the ordinance for the exact language to see if vomit applies.
Last edited by Walter on Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ingabinga » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:10 pm

Walter, you rock.
Ingabinga

Next

Return to Town Vibe