MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 44.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Fatal crash on East Johnson 7/21

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Fatal crash on East Johnson 7/21

Postby Beaver » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:52 am

Fatal crash at the intersection of East Johnson and East Mifflin streets last night. The driver was speeding to avoid police. Good thing the driver was the only one killed.

1 Killed, 1 Hurt In Early-Morning Crash
Police Believe Alcohol Was A Factor
http://www.channel3000.com/news/24335859/detail.html
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Fatal crash on East Johnson 7/21

Postby chance » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:09 am

The channel3000 story says, "University of Wisconsin police first attempted to stop a swerving car on West Johnson Street around 12:45 a.m. The car's driver sped away and officers lost contact with it at the intersection of East Johnson and East Mifflin streets, according to police."

No wonder they lost contact with it. As far as I can tell, "the intersection of East Johnson and East Mifflin streets" is in another dimension. Guy must have passed through a wormhole in the space-time continuum.
chance
Forum Addict

Postby pattymcnutt » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:14 am

Madison.com says it happened at the corner of Williamson and Ingersoll.
pattymcnutt
Forum Addict

Postby Walter » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:52 am

The crash was about 25 feet East of Williamson EB on the 400 block of South Ingersoll. When I say East, I mean as in the direction in which the sun rises, not the screwed up East as in East Washington.

The Chevy Monte Carlo came NB on East Johnson, turned EB on South Ingersoll, crossed East Washington and continued on Ingersoll until it struck a Ford Explorer parked on the South side of the street. The Monte Carlo overturned.

The driver was not wearing a seat belt and he was partially ejected through the open passenger side front window as the car overturned and came to rest.
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:12 am

Thanks for the scoop. How do you know so much detail?
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:22 am

Wow. Seems like saying "alcohol was a factor" would be in the running for understatement of the year. I wonder where he thought he was going lose the cop? Was he hoping they'd stop the chase because it was too dangerous or was he actually drunk enough to think he could floor it and figure something out along the way?

Beav: Walter's got a really good police scanner.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:24 am

Beaver wrote:Thanks for the scoop. How do you know so much detail?

Walter works for the MPD and is a frequent and valued contributor to this forum.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:55 pm

I agree that I am a frequent contributor, but you are too kind. I was unlucky enough to be at the crash scene shortly after it happened.

In case some media reports are unclear, UW Police tried to stop the car much further away towards downtown but the driver wouldn't stop and continued at 25 to 30 mph down Johnson St until turning onto S Ingersoll. The driver then hit it and took off at high speed for about 7 blocks before the crash. The road conditions were good and there was little to no traffic on Ingersoll.

The UW squad was not immediately behind the car at the time of the crash, probably 3 blocks out, because the officer was clearing intersections safely and had fallen behind. She still had the car in sight and was updating other units coming to assist.

Please don't drink and drive. Please wear your seat belt. Following these, and not trying to get away, obviously, would have prevented a death this morning as far as I can tell.
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:15 pm

rabble wrote:Wow. Seems like saying "alcohol was a factor" would be in the running for understatement of the year. I wonder where he thought he was going lose the cop? Was he hoping they'd stop the chase because it was too dangerous or was he actually drunk enough to think he could floor it and figure something out along the way.

They always run.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:41 am

anil123 wrote:how is protein folding translated into matrix operations - and what operations of course

Oooh - I'll play!

Fish and sea greens, plankton and protein from the sea. And then it stopped coming. And they came instead. So I store them here. I'm ready. And you're ready. It's my job. To freeze you. Protein, plankton...
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Petro » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:02 pm

That's interesting. That spambot's sampling from the folding@home forum. A post from just a couple of weeks ago, even.

So, you think TDPF and The folding@home forum are in the same table in some spambot db?
Petro
Forum Addict

Return to Town Vibe