MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, July 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 58.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

thursday storm

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

thursday storm

Postby Galoot » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:00 pm

I don't recall seeing so much red stuff on the radar, heading directly at Madison.

I think heading to the basement in 5 minutes isn't a bad idea. This California boy is OK with earthquakes, not OK with tornadoes.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Re: thursday storm

Postby Remember_Me » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:07 pm

You're fine upstairs.

It's bark is worse than it's bite.

As always.

It is fun watching Lindmeier getting frustrated with Evan though.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:49 pm

I'd keep playing. I don't think the heavy stuff is going to come down for quite a while.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:31 pm

Check out the pictures from Milwaukee. It's like biblical over there.
Especially the sinkhole at Oakland and North.
That 'hood was my stomping grounds back in the day.

www.jsonline.com
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:02 pm

I spent an hour in the basement. I didn't use to do that, but after I helped with the cleanup of the Stoughton tornado a few years ago, I changed. I'm lifelong Wisconsin and I've seen (and chased) my share of funnel clouds and tornado damage, but Stoughton convinced me.

I keep a cot and a radio downstairs now, and I took a nap and waited it out.

Did you see the funnel cloud pictures at jsonline (link above)? Those were some BIG ones.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:46 am

If you looked at the radar the storms weren't really anywhere near Madison proper.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:29 am

snoqueen wrote: after I helped with the cleanup of the Stoughton tornado a few years ago, I changed.

There was a house (and "was" is very apt) by the golf course where the family hid in a little concrete room in the basement. My cousins. I think their new house included a concrete room also. I would think more people would have something like that around here. Not a bomb shelter, just a simple little space with a strong ceiling.

Maybe it's typical codger thinking but the storms on the isthmus seemed worse when I was a kid in the 70's-80's. We used to get some wicked straight-line winds with a lot of big trees going down. Our huge maple on Sommers went down crushing the neighbor's car. I remember one on Center or Oakridge falling through a roof. I think I remember part of the Capital plating (now Capital Water Softner) building collapsing. Now it seems like most of the worst stuff splits around the lakes. Not that I'm complaining.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:51 am

Crockett wrote:If you looked at the radar the storms weren't really anywhere near Madison proper.

Huh? Then how did the airport got 3" of rain? I saw red all over the Madison radar last night, and Thurs morning.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby markkay » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:03 am

I was listening to 1310 am last night at around 7 pm and they had people calling in to talk about the weather in their area. One jokester said the clouds looked like Vicki McKenna's asshole. The host politely thanked the caller for the report and moved on. I suppose that is the appropriate professional response by the host, but it would've been fun to either hear him laugh in agreement or call the guy a douche.
markkay
Forum Addict

Postby Crockett » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:11 am

Beaver wrote:
Crockett wrote:If you looked at the radar the storms weren't really anywhere near Madison proper.

Huh? Then how did the airport got 3" of rain? I saw red all over the Madison radar last night, and Thurs morning.

The 'go in your basement' storms werent anywhere near Madison proper.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:45 am

narcoleptish wrote:
snoqueen wrote: after I helped with the cleanup of the Stoughton tornado a few years ago, I changed.

Maybe it's typical codger thinking but the storms on the isthmus seemed worse when I was a kid in the 70's-80's. We used to get some wicked straight-line winds with a lot of big trees going down.

The winds may have been worse, but it never rained so hard and for so long. We're getting what used to be called a "once in a century deluge" as recently as the 90's about every 3rd week or so now. Amazing what people can get used to.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Town Vibe