MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, October 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 54.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Fire at new Children's Museum

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Fire at new Children's Museum

Postby Shorty » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:30 pm

The fire at the new Children's Museum a couple nights ago was started by a coffee pot. Does that mean someone left the pot turned on at night? It's impossible for an electrical appliance to start on fire if it's not turned on, right?
Last edited by Shorty on Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Fire at new Children's Museum

Postby Right Bower » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:10 pm

My coffee pot can be plugged in and turned off at the same time...
Right Bower
Forum Addict

Postby Shorty » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:19 pm

I fixed my typo. If it's plugged in but turned off it can't start on fire, can it? Can an appliance only start an electrical fire when it's turned on?
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:21 pm

Shorty wrote:Right if it's plugged in and turned off it can't start on fire, can it? Can an appliance only start on fire when it's turned on?

Nearly everything that is plugged in still draws and consumes electricity, even if it is "turned off." Some outside influence (spilled water) or internal problem could cause a short (no pun intended, Shorty), leading to a fire.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:40 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:
Shorty wrote:Right if it's plugged in and turned off it can't start on fire, can it? Can an appliance only start on fire when it's turned on?

Nearly everything that is plugged in still draws and consumes electricity, even if it is "turned off." Some outside influence (spilled water) or internal problem could cause a short (no pun intended, Shorty), leading to a fire.

Careful. I was schooled on this once myself.

viewtopic.php?p=607101#p607101
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:37 pm

Oh yes, the surge protector thread. So if I plug a desktop PC into a surge protector, and turn the surge protector off when not using the PC, then I don't have to worry about the PC starting a fire while I sleep at night, right? Turning off the surge protector shuts off all electricity to the device. Or do I still need to worry about electrical shorts?

Maybe I should just email the Fire dept and stop bugging you guys.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:54 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
green union terrace chair wrote:

Careful. I was schooled on this once myself.

viewtopic.php?p=607101#p607101

Ah, okay, to differentiate, most electronics consume power, but even a static item like the exampled toaster or hair dryer that is not consuming power still bring potential from the outlet into the appliance. So don't throw a turned off / plugged in toaster into the bath.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Town Vibe