MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Tuesday, October 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 47.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Movin' Day Scores

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Movin' Day Scores

Postby Exploding Pinto » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:38 am

Ever scored a sweet piece of curbside merch as the college kids and twentysomethings do the housing shuffle?

I've definitely done my share of poking around through the years. I've seen the folks in a van or a truck working the streets in teams--more power to them. Unless I'm forgetting something, I've never found anything absolutely amazing, but there are a few things still with me:

Someone's stab at Munch's The Scream. I have it hanging up still--I have a thing for ugly art.

A few neckties. One has gotten me through a few weddings in recent years; I've never purchased a tie.

A weight bench. Mostly, it just takes up room. Mostly.

What 'cho got?
Exploding Pinto
Forum Addict

Re: Movin' Day Scores

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:24 am

Not this year, but years past: coffee table fixed with new hardware.

My fave: small black lacquer bench, perfect for putting my feet on, under my computer, rescued from the back of the Cardinal.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby stainless » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:07 am

A sweet little iron rocking chair I scored from the garbage bin at the Regent Apartments in 1982. I gave it to my sister years ago and she still uses it on her patio.
stainless

Postby wallrock » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:17 am

I was continually amazed by the wasteful nature of my former neighbors at my old apartment building. I scored a good amount of stuff following moves, including:
    A set of wooden swivel barstools, in great shape
    A rolling Stanley tool center, in perfect condition with assorted screws and nails in one of the drawers and half a roll of duct tape
    An unused queen sized comforter in its original packaging, still in a big JC Penny's plastic bag with the receipt
    A Rubbermaid five-drawer rolling container
    A Casio keyboard, in its box with the manual and electrical cord
    A set of two Coleman folding canvas bag chairs
I would also see half-full containers of cleaning supplies, and on more than one occasion I'd find shitty old lamps tossed with the working CFL bulbs still in them - I scored at least five of them during those years and I'm still using all of them at my current place.

The best find, however, had to come as a result of some unfortunate dude getting kicked out by his better half. I was tossing my recyclables earlier this year, during the first round of the NHL playoffs actually, and I saw a box of pint glasses (shitty, mostly cracked or broken) that also contained a Blackhawks hockey puck signed by Tony Esposito.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:54 am

I'm not much of an accumulator, so I don't trash pick on the 14th/15th, though I do love to walk our neighborhood and gawk at the chaos. My best and only score was a beautiful old mirror my landlady left behind when she sold the house. I took it with me on moving day in 1988 and it's had a prominent place everywhere I've lived since. It's been the front hall mirror in our current house since 2000.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:01 am

If you want to really score, load up all your sticker/fee items and take a drive downtown this weekend. Campus gets a free pass to discard anything and everything once a year. The rest of us might as well take advantage of it, because it ain't happening in our neighborhoods.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Town Vibe