MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 64.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Verona H.S.: Badges? We don't need....

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Verona H.S.: Badges? We don't need....

Postby admin » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:27 pm

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ ... ffcb8.html

Surprise, surprise: The kids aren't going to wear their IDs. 85% is about the best they could do in Verona, by all accounts an upper middle class suburb churning out agreeable kids.

Who cares? The talk radio crowd that believes schools should be run like prisons, which is ironically the same crowd that believes school funding should be tied to test scores.
admin
Forum Addict

Re: Verona H.S.: Badges? We don't need....

Postby rabble » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:59 pm

I think it would be more efficient to put them all in uniforms with embedded RFIDs.

Or just implanted chips, like they use for pets. Chip all the kids, give each teacher a scanner and bang you're done. No worries about compliance enforcement.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:28 pm

admin wrote:Who cares? The talk radio crowd that believes schools should be run like prisons, which is ironically the same crowd that believes school funding should be tied to test scores.

Perhaps my irony detector isn't properly tuned.
What's ironic about this?
Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:54 pm

rabble wrote:I think it would be more efficient to put them all in uniforms with embedded RFIDs.

Or just implanted chips, like they use for pets. Chip all the kids, give each teacher a scanner and bang you're done. No worries about compliance enforcement.

Totally off-topic, but I saw a car today with the license plate: "RABBLE." Yours, by any chance?

(I'd get a license plate with "GREEN UNION TERRACE CHAIR" but it would require a change to the law regarding license plate length and perhaps a Humvee wide enough to bear the plate.)
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:22 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:Totally off-topic, but I saw a car today with the license plate: "RABBLE." Yours, by any chance?

No. There's more than one of me.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:30 pm

admin wrote:http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/education/local_schools/article_150faa9b-1d13-57a8-9aca-0fd3c39ffcb8.html

Surprise, surprise: The kids aren't going to wear their IDs. 85% is about the best they could do in Verona, by all accounts an upper middle class suburb churning out agreeable kids.

Who cares? The talk radio crowd that believes schools should be run like prisons, which is ironically the same crowd that believes school funding should be tied to test scores.

And the anti-talk radio crowd believes that if we will only double the salaries of the teachers that are already there, they will become better teachers.

In the above example, I think "reverse prisons" would be more accruate. Keeping out the kids that really don't want to be there, or have shown they are unable to abide by the rules.

I think tying test scores to anything is admittedly a desperation move, borne of the lack of success in tying individual teacher performance to compensation.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:56 pm

Just from the perspective of managing students effectively, I'm not sure badges are the best way to go, but they're not anything like a prison.

The problem of non-students (gang members?) getting into schools and dealing drugs or shooting up the school is probably dwarfed by the problems of your own students being in gangs and dealing drugs and shooting up the school.

If you're going use badges, however, don't coddle the students, as apparently happened here. Kick out the ones who don't comply. If they're going to any college or a job or the military, they'll have to keep track of shit like badges or IDs. Call it learning to be an adult.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:24 pm

Igor wrote:And the anti-talk radio crowd believes that if we will only double the salaries of the teachers that are already there, they will become better teachers.

Funny. This is the first I've ever heard this horseshit suggestion ... and I'm married to a teacher.

In the above example, I think "reverse prisons" would be more accruate. Keeping out the kids that really don't want to be there, or have shown they are unable to abide by the rules.

Compulsory School Attendance Law. Look it up.
Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Petro » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:31 pm

Donald wrote:The problem of non-students (gang members?) getting into schools and dealing drugs or shooting up the school is probably dwarfed by the problems of your own students being in gangs and dealing drugs and shooting up the school.

Forgive my ignorance, but is this an actual problem that needed to be solved at Verona High School? Did they have incidents involving non-students entering the school for nefarious purposes that would have been readily solved by making them wear IDs at all times?

The article makes it sound like this was just something mentioned by a consultant to improve "security"; a word used in a completely nebulous and unqualified fashion in that article.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby Remember_Me » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:04 am

green union terrace chair wrote:
Totally off-topic, but I saw a car today with the license plate: "RABBLE." Yours, by any chance?

No. I've seen Rabble's license plate before.

It says "ROUSER".

(a yellow Hyundai... you can't miss it.)

:P
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:48 pm

Uncle_Leaver wrote:
Igor wrote:And the anti-talk radio crowd believes that if we will only double the salaries of the teachers that are already there, they will become better teachers.

Funny. This is the first I've ever heard this horseshit suggestion ... and I'm married to a teacher.

Gee - the original post said that the "talk radio crowd" wanted to turn schools into prisons. I suggest you either provide proof of that, or admit that it was pretty obvious that I was exaggerating for effect, just like the original poster.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bmasel » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:32 pm

Give them I-phones with a paid up data plan. They'll carry them willingly, and since the School District's paying, you can legally use it to track their whereabouts so long as there's notice in the clickthrough agreement they won't read anyway.
bmasel
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Town Vibe