MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
canoe rack
Friday, August 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

New Lien Rd Roundabout

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

New Lien Rd Roundabout

Postby mvalfierno » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:03 am

Setting: "Me, my wife and child in wife's car on the way to Babies R Us (grimace) to get a booster seat for our son at the dinner table".

My wife: "Huh. It looks like Lien rd might be open to East Towne. Should we try it?"

Me: "Why not?"

Narrative: As we come around the gentle turn and slope we see what used to be a 3 way intersection in front of PDQ.

<Collective Gasp>
Me: "Aww, Shit. Ooops." (kid in the backseat)

My wife: "Dammit!"

So, what used to be a kind of funky, set of intersections that could get bound up under heavy traffic with bad weather, but, otherwise seemed to function is now a giant roundabout. WTF!

Why is it the East Side that gets all the freaking roundabouts? Spread them around a bit. I want the West Side to get the next 5-10 roundabouts.

Any bets as to whether a roundabout gets installed on Reiner / Sprecher? Sheesh.
mvalfierno

Re: New Lien Rd Roundabout

Postby rabble » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:37 am

Yeah, we found it the same way you did. Somebody almost hit us and we watched another near collision as we exited.

Looks like it's going to be a wonderful part of some snowplow operator's night.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:51 am

Just drove through it yesterday. I forgot they were putting one in. I myself am a big fan of roundabouts. They move traffic through almost continuously and if you know what you're doing you shouldn't get in an accident. I just don't think people in Madison are used to them yet.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:00 am

The west side is getting roundabouts. The intersection of Mineral Point and Pleasant view is almost done and there were a bunch put in in Greenway Cross. They need a certain number of them to receive certain federal grants. I live in Mt. Horeb. If you've ever driven through there there are about 5 of them on the way into town. Driving on them daily and knowing how they work makes you appreciate them a lot more. There are no long waits at lights at most you have to yield to a car or two. What makes them suck is people who don't know what the fuck they're doing. Use you turn signal like you normally would. Turning left? Use your left turn signal and drive around the circle to the right. Don't yield unless you have to. You only yield to the left. The guy on the right isn't your problem.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:03 am

mvalfierno wrote:Any bets as to whether a roundabout gets installed on Reiner / Sprecher? Sheesh.

I suspect this is exasperation talking, but no bet. It's not happening. Roundabouts aren't really ideal at country highway speeds. Whether they're appropriate for cars exiting a highway (Thompson) is another debate, but there's no doubt that Sprecher/Reiner and T will remain a traditional fourway intersection.

I don't mind 'em either, but it is certainly interesting that the east side gets so many.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:01 am

If you can't negotiate a roundabout, you never should have passed Driver's Ed. It's as simple as observing the yield signs, which I realize is akin to rocket science for some of you fuckin' morons.

Do us all a favor. Sell your car and buy a bus pass.
Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:27 am

In my experience there's an age disparity between those that understand roundabouts and those that do not. My father will drive past Mt. Horeb and come back on 78 because of his intense hatred of the roundabouts on ID. I can't say I know anyone my age that bitches about them to the extent my older relatives all do.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:47 am

Big Ben, kids. Parliament.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:20 am

Uncle_Leaver wrote:If you can't negotiate a roundabout, you never should have passed Driver's Ed. It's as simple as observing the yield signs, which I realize is akin to rocket science for some of you fuckin' morons.

Exactly.

I have yet to figure out what it is about roundabouts that vexes people. You're right — yield signs that lead into a circle.

Roundabouts are here to stay. Get used to them.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby The Center Square » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:47 am

You can practice all you want on that roundabout to nowhere behind Union Corners.
The Center Square
Forum Addict

Location: Above Phyllis Diller & next to Waylan Flowers & Madame

Postby Average Joe » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:16 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Big Ben, kids. Parliament.

I hear they have roundabouts in France, too. They call them "l'intersection a conçu par les hommes efféminés"
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:35 pm

Next thing you know, we'll have socialized medicine too.

Keep a stiff upper lip there, Ned old boy.
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:56 pm

Michael Patrick wrote:

Next thing you know, we'll have socialized medicine too.

Keep a stiff upper lip there, Ned old boy.

For the public school kids :roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAgX6qlJEMc
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:10 pm

HeyZeus wrote:
Uncle_Leaver wrote:If you can't negotiate a roundabout, you never should have passed Driver's Ed. It's as simple as observing the yield signs, which I realize is akin to rocket science for some of you fuckin' morons.

Exactly.

I have yet to figure out what it is about roundabouts that vexes people. You're right — yield signs that lead into a circle.

Roundabouts are here to stay. Get used to them.

Nobody's got a problem with the fact that they're too small for the snow plow blades? Is that something we're not supposed to talk about?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:14 pm

Nobody's got a problem with the fact that they're too small for the snow plow blades?

Fact? All Roundabouts? All blades? They seem to get plowed just fine to me. Are there guys out there shoveling when I'm not looking? The ones in Mt. Horeb are two lanes wide. Seems wide enough for most plows to me. Fact?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Town Vibe