MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, September 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 58.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Looking for a wishing well

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Looking for a wishing well

Postby kissyfish » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:37 pm

jman111 wrote:I lived on the corner of Park and Spring in the early 90's (before the "underpass" was redone). Similar flooding was fairly common, even then.

I also wonder how many pix are out there of trucks getting stuck under those tracks (low clearance). The one incident I witnessed "live" was a produce truck that lost nearly its entire load. The box of the truck was ripped right off the frame. Good times were had by us college brats watchin' that fiasco. At least the response time by Schmidt's towing was negligible, given the ~200 ft travel necessary.

Often a truck would get a bit wedged in, they would deflate the tires to get it out. So the story went.
kissyfish
Forum Addict

Postby jman111 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:50 pm

Yep. We saw the tire deflation technique used a few times as well.
The aftermath of the produce truck incident looked more like a bomb went off- produce scattered all around the area. The truck actually made it to the second bridge (closer to Dayton St) before it stopped, while the box- or what was left of it- was left lying under the first bridge (further south)
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:18 pm

I love all the photos -- thanks so much for posting them. Here's my question: are any of the old road maps on line? I've never found a good sequential collection of highway maps.

I've got a tiny collection of old (early 20th century) highway maps and wish I had more. They aren't really too hard to find, because so many gas stations passed out free state road maps in those days. People saved them in the glove compartments of their cars so a few survived in decent shape. These collectibles are a worthwhile complement to the highway photos and deserve to be properly digitized and catalogued.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:50 am

snoqueen wrote:I've got a tiny collection of old (early 20th century) highway maps and wish I had more.

If you don't already have one try tracking down a copy of the WPA guide book for Wisconsin. Tons of great information about roads/highways/trails and what was along them at the time.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Snn2Kr ... &q&f=false
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby frozenCow » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:06 am

kissyfish wrote:
jman111 wrote:I lived on the corner of Park and Spring in the early 90's (before the "underpass" was redone). Similar flooding was fairly common, even then.

I also wonder how many pix are out there of trucks getting stuck under those tracks (low clearance). The one incident I witnessed "live" was a produce truck that lost nearly its entire load. The box of the truck was ripped right off the frame. Good times were had by us college brats watchin' that fiasco. At least the response time by Schmidt's towing was negligible, given the ~200 ft travel necessary.

Often a truck would get a bit wedged in, they would deflate the tires to get it out. So the story went.

A good friend of mine grew up on the south side of Dayton St, one or two houses east of Park St (“last WASP family before the Bush” his Greenbush neighbors used to say). His family lived there from the late 40s until 1961 when the University “just had to have their house”, and his parents were forced to sell under eminent domain. The house was promptly torn down, and the lot sat empty until the last couple of years when the University finally built something there. He is still irked about that.

I showed him the flood photo, on the off chance that he and his sister were the kids in the photo wearing swim suits (they were not). He said that the flooding depicted in the photo happened quite frequently when he lived there. He also remembered many trucks getting stuck there in the 50s. He said the signage was even worse then, and no warning about the low clearance was given before it was too late. Unless the truck driver was familiar with the route, he wouldn’t really know he was in trouble until he was approaching the bridge, read the clearance sign on the bridge, and then had to attempt to stop before hitting the bridge.

He still recalled one truck with an aluminum box that lost the first two feet off the top of the box because the driver couldn’t stop in time. It was sheared off like a can opener. He said the most memorable time was when the flatbed truck loaded with cages of chickens attempted to go under the bridge, and failed. They were chasing chickens around the neighborhood for hours.
frozenCow
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Town Vibe