MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 70.0° F  Light Rain Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Orton Park Fest thoughts

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Orton Park Fest thoughts

Postby jjoyce » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:21 am

I'm wondering what the locals are saying AFTER the weekend's fest, which definitely benefited from perfect weather. I skipped last year's for some reason and had never attended with the stage on the north side of the park, directed south.

Unfortunately missed Carolina Chocolate Drops due to Brewers tickets. Saw much of Sunday afternoon, which was nice and sweaty. Didn't run into many Forons, as in other years. Thanks to other commitments, I also never had that moment that comes at dusk, after about five or so beers, where you're sort of pleasantly buzzed and taking it all in. Oh well. Responsibility, etc.

My note about improvement has to do with the vendors. It seems to me that instead of the row of identical bead/bangle/tie-dye booths, there could be some local crafters selling their stuff, which is both original and local (often to the neighborhood).

Still, the uniquely Madison event is always fun, if only to sit and soak in all the atmosphere.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Orton Park Fest thoughts

Postby gargantua » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:56 am

I stopped by for a couple of hours Saturday afternoon, caught Cris Plata & Extra Hot. It was a pleasant scene. The event just has a sort of nice vibe, especially after a couple of beers.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:29 pm

Being a traditionalist I went only on Sunday. The same old vendors definitely make for a quick stroll through that area but there's something to be said for comforting familiarity. I kinda recognize every third or fourth person, not necessarily someone I know but just someone I've crossed paths with.

Like every other Madison summer event, the beer list was devoid of a nice light sissy beer. Supper Club did the job but was a couple notches shy of ice cold. My only gripe.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:48 pm

Carolina Chocolate Drops did not disappoint. I had other plans, but found my way over to catch their set. I was glad I did.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Smutterly » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:36 pm

Caught the last few songs of CCD. It was as good as promised and the crowd was stoked. I stayed for 1/2 of Curley Taylor. It was good but I felt stuffed on Zydeco and I wasn't buzzed enough. However his covers were good and and I'm sure they could have switched the 2 bands around and it would have been successful as well.

Beer choices were good and nicely priced for a festival although saw a ton of carry ins.

It's one of the 4 festivals(Orton,Fete,Waterfront and Blues Picnic) I try not to miss. Never really a complaint as they always expose me to stuff I never would see and it's FREE! It's one of those things that "makes" Madison for me. I'd take one of these over Cherry Pie or Madison County at a burb fest anyday.

That being said, how were the Rousers and Dave Alvin?
Smutterly

Postby Marvell » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:16 pm

I was within the first three rows of the crowd for three acts: Carolina Chocolate Drops on Saturday; Kings Go Forth and Dave Alvin and The Guilty Women on Sunday.

There were a number of times during each of these acts where I was on the verge - and, frankly, at a couple points past the verge - of tears.

At one point, during the CCD set, I looked around me and there were Madisonians of every age, race, and class grooving together to the fine, fine music. On the same day that Glen Beck was in Washington D.C. rallying his horde of atavistic cretins clinging ghoulishly to the rotting shroud of our nation's shameful racial past, I was basking in the presence of some true artists committed to reclaiming that past in the pursuit of a vision of what this country still could be - what, I would argue, it's inexorably becoming.

And over and over again over the two days, that was my experience. The power of music to serve as an anchor for community, to draw forth - however atrophied from disuse - our better selves.

If that's not a life saved by rock and roll, what is?

Plus Cindy Cashdollar is the most beautiful woman I have ever witnessed. Ho-lee shit.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Smutterly » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:20 pm

Nice summary. But one does wonder what it feels like to be past the verge of tears with a raging hard on?
Smutterly

Postby Marvell » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:23 pm

Smutterly wrote:Nice summary. But one does wonder what it feels like to be past the verge of tears with a raging hard on?

One might wonder. I no longer have to.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lolagirl » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:06 am

I was intrigued - and amused - by the two women trying to sell 'automatic writing' at $2 for 2 minutes. They stated they would write on any topic. When I was there (Sat afternoon) they were not doing well on getting anyone to purchase the product. Any forons take try this out?

"On the same day that Glen Beck was in Washington D.C. rallying his horde of atavistic cretins clinging ghoulishly to the rotting shroud of our nation's shameful racial past..."

And, Marvell - your description of Beck's rally was superb. Truly superb.
lolagirl
Forum Addict

Postby Galoot » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:12 am

The only show I caught was Dave Alvin and the Guilty Women, and it was just kickass. Having Cindy Cashdollar with him on lap steel was quite a treat--she is *the* slide guitar player in Nashville, from what I gather.

I guess the new layout is an attempt to placate the neighbors? With the stage pointing towards the lake, they don't end up blasting the sound for many blocks, just the couple of blocks to the lake.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bassbari » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:57 pm

And no bees this year. Beautiful day. I always support the Marquette center with a $3.50 brat rather than $8 for jerk chicken. And finally looking north towards the stage was the best idea that they came up with. Keep up the good work.
bassbari
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:19 pm

I liked the parts of the Saturday show I saw, and I also liked the way I could not hear the bass clear across the lake to my house near Olbrich Park this year. Good all around.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:11 pm

Galoot wrote:With the stage pointing towards the lake, they don't end up blasting the sound for many blocks, just the couple of blocks to the lake.

For some reason this reminded me of a moment in my youth. My friends & I were taking a poor man's road trip out west & back. For our route down the coast we chose scenic Highway 1. I'm drivin'. We're enjoying the scenery (my friends were REALLY enjoying the scenery :wink: ) and we notice a weathered camper parked along the highway. As we near it, we see some dude playing a drumset outside under the canopy facing the ocean! We thought that was about the coolest thing ever. Playing drums to the gods.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Town Vibe