MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, October 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 63.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

East Side Internet Access

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

East Side Internet Access

Postby Hobo » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:59 pm

I have a friend who lives on the east side.
Can anybody recommend Good, Reliable High-Speed internet?
Hobo

Re: East Side Internet Access

Postby CoffeeJones » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:45 pm

i just signed up for AT&T Uverse after years of dealing with Charter's abysmal service and worse reliability. I have mixed feelings about this, because, after all, it is AT&T, but I just couldn't take it anymore.
CoffeeJones

Postby bassbari » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:53 pm

I love U Verse. I will never go back to Charter. Their customer service was excellent and the guy was 10 minutes early. Just make sure that they have service in your area. They are still working on some parts of town.
Last edited by bassbari on Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bassbari
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:55 pm

I miss Uverse and I would never go back to Charter for TV however... Their internet service is damn fast for the money and I've never had problems with it. TV problems yes. Many. But the interwebs have always been solid.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:07 pm

I tried to go with TDS, but the service rep I spoke to claimed that they did not service the East Side. Which is odd, in that my ex-girlfriend who lives approximately a half mile from me was (is?) a TDS customer - but I didn't feel like arguing with him about it.

The technician who hooked my AT&T DSL up was a transexual.

Which is neither here nor there, obviously. Unless you insist that your DSL service adhere to traditional family values.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:37 pm

Marvell wrote:I tried to go with TDS, but the service rep I spoke to claimed that they did not service the East Side.

Apparently somebody forgot to tell my modem.
Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:12 pm

TDS goes to my house, and I'm on the east side.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:21 pm

snoqueen wrote:TDS goes to my house, and I'm on the east side.

Exactly.

I mean, whether the guy was lying or just incompetent really doesn't matter - when you've got a company rep denying the existence of a service the company in question is in existence to provide, do you really want to do business with that company?

AT&T may be a big-brother bunch of contemptible fucks, but at least they actually want to take my money.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:26 pm

Marvell wrote:I mean, whether the guy was lying or just incompetent really doesn't matter - when you've got a company rep denying the existence of a service the company in question is in existence to provide, do you really want to do business with that company?
Last edited by eriedasch on Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:24 pm

eriedasch wrote:Regardless, I'm glad you at least considered giving your business to a local company that does not outsource jobs overseas, supports the Madison community & local charities, employs thousands locally with living-wage jobs & good benefits, does not hand over confidential phone records to the gov't without proper sophenas, etc.; and voted one of Fortune's top 100 trustworty companies not long ago.

I live two blocks from Olbrich. And I did more than 'at least consider' - I fucking called the guy to sign up, credit card in hand - and he wouldn't sell it to me.

I'm pleased as frickin' punch that TDS is all that and a fat-free fudge cake that won't let you down in the flavor department, but if I they won't sell me the service then the point is pretty motherfucking moot, no?

So - any time you want to dismount the high-horse, that would be swell. Expanding your precious service area would also be swell.

And maybe hire service agents who can successfully distinguish between their ass and a hole in the ground.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:41 pm

I've been *this* close to telling TDS they can suck it on numerous occasions. But I really can't stand the idea of moving my business to AT&T.

Then again, when you're taking it from behind, what fucking difference does it make who's holding the broom handle?
Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:04 pm

Marvell wrote:I live two blocks from Olbrich. And I did more than 'at least consider' - I fucking called the guy to sign up, credit card in hand - and he wouldn't sell it to me.

I'm pleased as frickin' punch that TDS is all that and a fat-free fudge cake that won't let you down in the flavor department, but if I they won't sell me the service then the point is pretty motherfucking moot, no?

So - any time you want to dismount the high-horse, that would be swell. Expanding your precious service area would also be swell.

And maybe hire service agents who can successfully distinguish between their ass and a hole in the ground.

Wow. I'm glad I don't work in customer service.

I think you should just stick to AT&T or Charter.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:56 pm

Well, the company you work for made damn sure that was the case.

Good luck with your job search in...oh, three or four months now...
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:34 pm

PS - What the fuck is a 'sophena?'

Wow indeed. Do they give out LSD at TDS staff meetings? Between the hallucinations of your sales staff ("We do not provide service to the east side of the Madison, and the giant purple monkeys eating my face are real, REAL!!! OH FUCK!!!") and your snotty illiterate ravings, you guys have really come up with a winner of a business strategy.

Step One: Alienate our potential customer base while priggishly trumpeting our moral superiority and spreading disinformation about the services we provide.

Step Two:????????????

Step Three: PROFIT!

Or not...
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby BFG » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:45 pm

Dude - seriously. Relax. Let me give you a little insight on the business model for competitive carriers (like TDS). AT & T charges competitors for access to their lines and facilities. That charge has increased since competition was opened up after the 1996 Telecom act. That was also when a competitor could make a decent profit by offering local and long distance service. As AT & T has increased its rate (blessed by the FCC), the business model for a competitor started to fail.

Another issue is that AT & T is installing Fiber optics for U-Verse. It is NOT required to allow access to those facilities to competitors. So TDS and others are locked out of offering higher speed internet and TV in big markets (i.e. Madison & Milwaukee) unless they want to invest in running its own lines, which ironically they are not allowed to do by the FCC since they are not the incumbent carrier.

The business model is still good for business customers, and I'll wager that TDS (and others) have decided to concentrate their efforts there. They will still service existing residential customers, but they won't market to or accept new customers because it just winds up being a loss. If you happened to live in Verona, Waunakee or Black Earth, TDS would gladly sell you high speed internet, because they are the incumbent carrier there and not the competitor.

I'm in the same boat as you - I'm faced with choosing between the lesser of two evils. As far as customer service reps go, TDSs' really aren't any worse than Charter or AT & T, and probably a bit better on the whole. And at least you're talking to someone in this town as opposed to Bangalore.

My apologies if this seems to ramble, but I've worked in Telecom for 15+ years, so I know a bit about the subject. I hope you have found this info useful. If not, I apologize for that as well.
BFG

Next

Return to Town Vibe