MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Sunday, July 13, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Incarceration in Madison Wisconsin

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Incarceration in Madison Wisconsin

Postby thirdworldsurvivor » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:09 am

Is it just me, or does Madison's incarcerate a TREMENDOUS number of Blacks and Latino's. I was looking at the stats for Dane County and Blacks make up approximately 6% of the population in the county but make up more that 68% (not exact numbers, I'm going from memory) of the new prisoners in Dane County Jail. What is the solution? Someone give me some opinion on this issue we as a population have to do something, and fast!
thirdworldsurvivor

Re: Incarceration in Madison Wisconsin

Postby narcoleptish » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:21 am

I have a ten foot pole if anyone would like to borrow it.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thirdworldsurvivor » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:24 am

Lol...I think that's the dangerous thing about all of this, nobody wants to touch this issue for fear of coming off racist. I work with this population daily and I see some serious issues that could effect the entire city if we don't at the very least get some understanding about prisoner re-entry in Madison.
thirdworldsurvivor

Postby narcoleptish » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:45 am

Yup, it's a futile discussion for an internet chat board. Post it over on Madison.com and you'll get mostly bigots and their ugly comments. Post it here and you get the apologists and their carefully constructed and previewed comments.

The solutions you seek are like the Chilean miners. They're still alive and we can see them, but how the fuck do we get there?
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby David Blaska » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:11 am

Kaleem Caire of Madison Urban League has a good idea, if he can get past the Teachers Union and Progressive Dane: a boys' charter school primarily aimed at minority children. See Lukas Diaz' attack it and Mr. Caire defend his idea. http://www.forwardlookout.com/2010/09/the-problem-with-kaleem-caires-plan/5724/comment-page-1#comment-1521
David Blaska
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thirdworldsurvivor » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:43 pm

narcoleptish wrote:Yup, it's a futile discussion for an internet chat board. Post it over on Madison.com and you'll get mostly bigots and their ugly comments. Post it here and you get the apologists and their carefully constructed and previewed comments.

The solutions you seek are like the Chilean miners. They're still alive and we can see them, but how the fuck do we get there?

I can agree with you on that, people online are usually just full of talk but what I'm doing is attempting to bring people out who are serious about the issues to work along with those of us who are working on this issue. For more information contact me at thirdworldsurvivor@yahoo.com

Peace
thirdworldsurvivor

Postby gargantua » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:53 pm

One thing that would really help is if we as a society can recognize that drugs won the "war on drugs". Stop incarcerating people for years for drug offenses that harm no one, with the possible exception of the user.

Obviously not the only answer, but it would really put a dent in those numbers just the same.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Town Vibe