MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, November 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 29.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Train Horns Getting Louder?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Train Horns Getting Louder?

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:59 pm

Crockett wrote:But there have been a few instances where I can HEAR the purposeful hate and anger of the train engineers on that particular stretch of track.

I wanna hear Johnny Cash sing about that.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:57 pm

Crockett wrote:I've lived in cities with trains and their noise usually doesn't even register in my brain.

But there have been a few instances where I can HEAR the purposeful hate and anger of the train engineers on that particular stretch of track.

^^^^this

I used to live on Main St, right around the corner from East HS. Some (not all) of those engineers would go waaaaay overboard with the horn. Lived near tracks before then and since, and it ain't ever been like it was there.

And people have made official complaints about it....which made the situation worse. No surprise there - seeing how the railroads can tell the mayor to fuck off, why should they even bother listening to the common citizen?
penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:36 pm

Anything more than10 seconds on one toot (there are four toots in a honk) is wretched excess. I've heard 'em at least that long. Serves no safety purpose whatsoever after like four seconds. Time it yourself and see what you think.

I'm far enough away (two blocks, maybe) from the honkable intersections to find the nighttime train sounds pleasant not disruptive, but you guys who are so close the windows shake have something louder to get used to. Of course, in time we can get used to ANYTHING, but still.

I wish I could say the noise the national guard jets make over my house was spite also, but most likely they're just playing with their boys' toys not thinking about the antlike residents below. There was one night last week it sounded like they all were practicing touch-and-go landings for an entire hour.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Town Vibe