MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, October 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 46.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Seeking Employmnent

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Seeking Employmnent

Postby cattyrood » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:04 pm

If anyone knows of any job openings, both my fiance and I are looking for work. I would do absolutely anything, and as those of you who may remember me know, I'm small - but I am also strong, somewhat well read, and willing to learn. I would wash dishes if necessary. Any tips greatly appreciated!

cattyr

p.s. He has owned two small companies, has a degree in business administration with a physics minor.
cattyrood

Re: Seeking Employmnent

Postby Marvell » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:20 pm

http://www.ohr.wisc.edu/employment/employ.html

May you both find the employmnent you seek!
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:21 pm

cattyrood wrote:I would do absolutely anything..

Seeking Employmnent

So, proofreader is out? :)
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby holyghost » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:34 pm

I saw a sign by the new taco place on University (next to Starbuck's, where the old Bruegger's used to be) that said they are hiring.

If you are a student, check out the UW Job website: http://jobcenter.wisc.edu/

There are several jobs on there that could be filled by a non-student as well.

I hate job hunting, so I hope your search is brief and rewarding!!
holyghost

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:59 pm

Inside Hilldale, at the Information desk, there is a long list of Help Wanted at various stores. Willy Co-op West is hiring.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cattyrood » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:05 am

Thanks all for the info and words of encouragement! Anyone else seeking temporary work - there is a company (?) called Advancing Wisconsin at 210 N. Bassett, their staff are seeking 400 recruits for a "Get Out the Vote" campaign, they also do some work with Planned Parenthood. Seemed like great people after we met with them yesterday. Their focus is on issues rather than individual candidates. Their phone no. is 608-613-1778 (I hope - going from memory here, too lazy to get up!) There are 2 hr training sessions 7-9 pm Oct 27 & 28 - you need attend only one.
cattyrood

Postby cattyrood » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:20 am

Okay - that is so embarrassing that I spelled employment incorrectly, but I often post in the dark due to the fact that we're trying to save on all of our bills. SNAFU!
cattyrood

Postby rabble » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:22 pm

cattyrood wrote:Okay - that is so embarrassing that I spelled employment incorrectly, but I often post in the dark due to the fact that we're trying to save on all of our bills. SNAFU!

I think that was a cry for help on jman's part. I think he may want us all to keep a sharp eye out for his typos in the future, and see how many different humorous ways we can use to point them out.

Always remember the famous quote from the famous Bill Deming: 100 percent inspection catches 80 percent of the defects.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:33 pm

Registering at one or more temp agencies is also a good investment in time. Some temp jobs can be quite long-term or lead to permanent employment. Or at least you'll be getting a paycheck while looking for something better.

I'd recommend QTI (the biggest in Madison), but others include Manpower, Lifestyle Staffing, Adtec ...

... and there's always Labor Ready if you want to dig ditches.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:06 am

HELP!!
Now that's a cry for help...

rabble wrote:
cattyrood wrote:Okay - that is so embarrassing that I spelled employment incorrectly, but I often post in the dark due to the fact that we're trying to save on all of our bills. SNAFU!

I think that was a cry for help on jman's part. I think he may want us all to keep a sharp eye out for his typos in the future, and see how many different humorous ways we can use to point them out.

Always remember the famous quote from the famous Bill Deming: 100 percent inspection catches 80 percent of the defects.

Yes, it was meant as a friendly jab. (I thought including the stupid emoticon would express that.) However, I honestly think that it is more important to spellcheck and proof a post that serves to seek employment versus a more casual post. Do we all have typos? Absolutely. Are they a little more important when we are trying to relate certain personal charateristics to potential employers? I think so.

So, Rabble, if you (and others- see "us all") would like to personally address my typos with attempted humor, I welcome it. I could use a good laugh. I thought my post would be more welcomed than the normal grammar and spelling attacks I've seen here. Perhaps I was wrong.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cattyrood » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:14 am

I truly do appreciate the suggestions, all. My last job was obtained through a temp agency and lasted 18 yrs.
cattyrood

Postby iwiw99 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:37 am

So what is the job market like out there? I had to lay off two people and one just finished up his UC benefits on my side. Dig ditches sounds fine, but these guys are getting older. In regards to speling, some of my best friends cannot spell for the life of them. I can't stand it. They remain smarter than me at times.
iwiw99
Forum Addict

Postby cattyrood » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:16 pm

I've recently started canvessing for Advancing Wisconsin. Any Forons with experiences to share?
cattyrood

Postby MadMind75 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:19 am

I need to find some employmnent as well.
Will amnyone hire mne?

Seriously though, I paged through the classifieds Sunday and wow, there's nothing there! I remember doing the same say, around ten years ago, and the WSJ classifieds was like a book back then. Now it's more like a pamphlet.
Is this due more to the recession, or the fact that most companies now choose to advertise positions online over paper & ink?
I'm guessing a little of both, with the lions share going to the "post-recession" recession.

Job seeking is an unecessarily difficult, winding and sometimes obscured path to walk. The application process is difficult enough as it is, to have the opportunity to do so shouldn't be an opportunity granted only to the priviledged. But somehow I feel as if all the jobs worth getting are the ones withheld from the general public.

I believe that anything and everything should be released, on every available format, for everyone to see and apply themselves towards if they choose to do so. If companies are choosing to forego want-ads in print altogether, they are excluding those who do not have access to, or simply choose not to go job hunting online.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby HeyZeus » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:21 am

MadMind75 wrote:Is this due more to the recession, or the fact that most companies now choose to advertise positions online over paper & ink?

It's all moved online — much of it to industry-specific sites or at the specific company's site. You godda dig.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Town Vibe