MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Tuesday, October 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 40.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Seeking Employmnent

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Seeking Employmnent

Postby LargeMarge » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:26 pm

MadMind75 wrote:I believe that anything and everything should be released, on every available format, for everyone to see and apply themselves towards if they choose to do so. If companies are choosing to forego want-ads in print altogether, they are excluding those who do not have access to, or simply choose not to go job hunting online.

If someone doesn't have access at home, he/she can go to a library, friend's house, a coffee house, etc. Employers are looking for motivated people. They probably figure if you cannot be motivated to get online, you probably aren't what they want. Why would employers want to pay extra to try to find these people when they can find so many online?
LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Postby Galoot » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:20 pm

My brother last used a computer regularly when Windows 95 had just been released, but he still managed to land a job using craigslist ads. I helped him a bit, even going as far as typing and sending the emails for him (from his Yahoo email addy). MadMind, is it really that difficult to manage?
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:13 pm

I'd be harder pressed to find a newspaper than a computer with internet access....

(And not even in my own house - even my elderly grandparents have broadband. I could go over to any number of friends' houses if I didn't want to go to the library or Dane County Job Center to access the listing.)
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind75 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:24 pm

HeyZeus wrote:You godda dig.

Although I do prefer print in paper over the glare of a computer monitor for certain things, I think the issue for me is more the above. Not being able to find everything in one place is a tall hurdle to clear, especially for a lazy-ass unmotivated mofo like myself :D
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby Average Joe » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:48 pm

Most companies have a "jobs" or "employment opportunity" section on their website. One strategy that I've given to friends and family in the past that has had a reasonable success rate is to make a list of companies that you want to work for and constantly scan their website for suitable job postings. Another strategy, If there is a certain company that you would really love to work for, don't wait for a job posting. Send in your resume to that company with a cover letter stating that your goal is to work for that company, outline your strengths and ask them to consider you for any position that may be or become available in their organization that would be a suitable match with your skills. Of course that doesn't always work, but as part of an overall, multi-pronged job search effort it can increase the chances of you ending up with a job you enjoy.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:59 pm

LargeMarge wrote:If someone doesn't have access at home, he/she can go to a library, friend's house, a coffee house, etc. Employers are looking for motivated people.

On the other hand, people using a publicly funded institution like a library are clearly intent on defrauding taxpayers, no? I mean, aren't libraries really just all about letting people find information that they haven't even paid for? That's piracy, after all, isn't it? Having access to information that you haven't paid for is just stealing!

My grandmother used to be able to predict the weather four hours out, just by smelling the wind and watching the sky. If that isn't criminal, I don't know what is. She was such a cheapskate!
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:30 am

MadMind75 wrote:
HeyZeus wrote:You godda dig.

Although I do prefer print in paper over the glare of a computer monitor for certain things, I think the issue for me is more the above. Not being able to find everything in one place is a tall hurdle to clear, especially for a lazy-ass unmotivated mofo like myself :D

Well, most companies aren't looking for lazy-ass'd, unmotivated mofo like you. :D

Seriously, most companies' HR departments are already overrun with resumes/applications. They really don't need to appeal to the lazy and uninspired.

I'm self-employed, but I passively look for jobs. It does suck to have to go from site to site to site.

One recent example, a local ad agency was looking for talent by advertising in Milwaukee, They didn't even mine for talent in their own city! So much for doing business locally.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind75 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:14 pm

HeyZeus wrote:Well, most companies aren't looking for lazy-ass'd, unmotivated mofo like you. :D

And I'm the sort of employee bosses hate most. I do my job well so they come to value me, but I like to do things my way under my own rules, which may mean circumventing standard operating procedure, long lunches, unscheduled breaks, and coming in late :D 8)
Aren't I doing a great job of selling myself!?
HeyZeus wrote:One recent example, a local ad agency was looking for talent by advertising in Milwaukee, They didn't even mine for talent in their own city! So much for doing business locally.

That is such bullshit, and I'm sure this happens much more often than anyone is made aware of.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby Average Joe » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:35 pm

MadMind75 wrote:And I'm the sort of employee bosses hate most.

Why would any employer in this economy, with a record number of qualified applicants available for every open position, give any serious consideration to a "renegade" applicant that has difficulty adhering to organizational policy as a viable candidate for employment?
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind75 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:32 am

Average Joe wrote:Why would any employer in this economy, with a record number of qualified applicants available for every open position, give any serious consideration to a "renegade" applicant that has difficulty adhering to organizational policy as a viable candidate for employment?

Because I rock my shit. I was halfway kidding. I really only begin to push the envelope after I make myself comfortable 8)
HeyZeus wrote:I'm self-employed, but I passively look for jobs.

That's funny, I'm unemployed and in desperate need of the green bills, but passively look for jobs.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby Average Joe » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:40 am

What was I thinking. Employers are obviously completely bereft of bullshit meters.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Town Vibe