MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 69.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Will someone admit that Madison sucks at snow removal?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Will someone admit that Madison sucks at snow removal?

Postby TeachInPeace » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:39 pm

This is probably a dumb question, but google has not given me much of an answer. I am a new homeowner (and so am actually responsible for shoveling my walk as opposed to when renting). I travel frequently for work - and found myself in Memphis when it was snowing in Wisconsin. What do you all do to make sure the walks are clear if you are not even in town? It wasn't supposed to snow when I left. Luckily, Milwaukee doesn't ticket for sidewalks. We do tow and insanely enforce parking rules, but no one plowed my street at all. Any advice would be welcome on the sidewalk thing, though.
TeachInPeace

Postby snoqueen » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:57 pm

a) Get someone else to do it, maybe a neighbor. You can trade and do them a favor when they're next out of town.

b) Do nothing and hope nobody complains and you don't get ticketed. Not everybody gets a ticket, and they don't cost a fortune. (Considered unclassy home ownership, but you asked.)

If you get a ticket and decide to take it to the judge, he/she isn't going to be impressed if you say you were out of town.

For what it's worth, today's warmth did a job on the ice on my street and things are back to walkable.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:45 pm

If my neighbor knocked on the door and told me (s)he was in your situation I'd be glad to help out. I want the walks on my street cleared and knowing that the owner of that house is gone and wants the walk shoveled makes it a lot easier on the rest of us. Me and the guy across the street would take care of it.

Until we realized the neighbor wasn't bothering to reciprocate. Then we'd get pissed off. A good bottle of wine or something like that would go a lot farther than "hey thanks a bunch."
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:07 pm

I think that when these ordinances were created, it was a relatively rare occurrence for residents to be out of town during a storm. The notion that one type of public byway should be maintained by the City while another must be maintained by adjacent property-holders seems archaic to me. It might make sense for a small rural community, but not at all for an urban environment.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:40 am

One of my big gripes are these lazy property management companies who try to kill multiple birds with one stone by plowing the sidewalk (usually of adjoining properties they manage) with a Bobcat.

This never clears the sidewalk adequately and leaves a thin layer of snow. If they get lucky, the temperature rises and it all melts off. But more often than not, the deep freeze and foot traffic that follows turns this into a layer of ice that hangs around and makes for a treacherous surface.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TeachInPeace » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:44 pm

Ok great - I was hoping "ask a neighbor" was legit - I'll try that first. Seems strange, like "hey, can you take out my garbage and mow my lawn while you're at it?" But last year I got lucky with my travel schedule, and previous to that I was south of the snow belt. Fingers crossed that the neighbors are friendly! Thank you!
TeachInPeace

Postby Ducatista » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:58 pm

TeachInPeace wrote:Fingers crossed that the neighbors are friendly!

Fingers crossed that they'll be friendly about you asking, or that they're friendly in general? Because if you don't know whether your neighbors are friendly, I'd say you don't know them well enough to ask the favor without seeming really presumptuous.

(Fair or not, it would seem less presumptuous to me if you were laid up and couldn't shovel.)
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:09 pm

I was thinking the same thing. It may be worth asking someone you actually know, rather than rolling the dice with nearby strangers.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:47 pm

You don't know the people who live next door?

In that case, maybe an offer of money is in order, if you're asking them to shovel for you. But I can't imagine not knowing the people who live right next to me. They're like twenty feet away, 24/7.

Is this common? Anyone else?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:54 pm

snoqueen wrote:You don't know the people who live next door?

They're like twenty feet away, 24/7.

Is this common? Anyone else?

Nobody lives next door to me.
I'm on a corner lot and the house next to mine is vacant.
I have met and spoken with the fella who owns it on several occassions (and before he hired a plowing service, I used to shovel his sidewalk for him), but I couldn't tell you his name. He shows up every coupla weeks to putter around the garage and the yard for a few hours.

I have spoken with my neighbors in the two houses across the street a few times in the years since I moved in, but none of them have ever expressed any interest in actually getting to know me. Mostly, they just look down their noses at me because I don't have a Chemlawn and my bushes aren't perfectly manicured.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:59 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:I don't have a Chemlawn and my bushes aren't perfectly manicured.

Plus the drapes don't match the carpet, ifyaknowwhadimatalkinabout ....
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:09 pm

Mean Scenester wrote:
Prof. Wagstaff wrote:I don't have a Chemlawn and my bushes aren't perfectly manicured.

Plus the drapes don't match the carpet, ifyaknowwhadimatalkinabout ....

Actually, I have hardwood.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TeachInPeace » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:14 pm

What can I say? I moved in in November - I am out of town at least one week per month. I work long hours and I don't use my front door. Seems like folks stay indoors in the cold weather. Looking forward to meeting people in the spring. Maybe I will call a service after all (my friends live across town, seems like a lot to ask for 10 feet of city sidewalk).
TeachInPeace

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:25 am

While I normally try to stay off the road in such snowy conditions, I unfortunately had to make a trek across town tonight to give someone with no other means of transportation a ride. During the entire drive I saw exactly zero plows and exactly zero evidence that any of the roads I took -- Midvale, Mineral Point, Regent, John Nolen, Williamson, Odana -- had been plowed at all. It's been snowing since what, 5PM? Those are all pretty major roads, wouldn't you say?

Seriously, what the fuck?
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby other i » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:36 am

Well, the suspense is killing me. Did you get stuck?
other i
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Town Vibe