MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, August 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Will someone admit that Madison sucks at snow removal?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Will someone admit that Madison sucks at snow removal?

Postby fennel » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:22 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
jjoyce wrote:Tow. Tow early and tow often.
I tend to agree yet I also wonder where everyone who lives on the isthmus is supposed to put their car when there's so little off-street parking in so many of those neighborhoods.

Wags, I love your posts, but – what?!! The streets are public byways, not parking lots*. Anyone who lives on the isthmus parks their car where they have arranged to park it. I just don't understand this notion that there should be ever-present free parking for those who can afford to buy a car but not to keep one. I mean, do you buy a house if you can't maintain it? Or a pet?

Everyone does have a right to reliable, predictable, public transportation, but not everyone can own a car.

* That is, unless you're an R, which implies any public byway is your own personal publicly subsidized parking lot. That's just the cost of being wealthy ...
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:06 am

Fennel, I agree that folks shouldn't have a car if they don't reasonably have means to accomodate it, but it's unrealistic to expect that when people rent in August -- especially students or others who are new to the area -- they are thinking ahead to where they're gonna park come winter when there's generally plenty of nearby on-street parking most of the year. I didn't mean to suggest that people are right to assume they'll be able to park on the street, but generally, that is what they expect (again, if they even put any thought into it at all.) That's basically my response to Arturo, as well. It's all well and good to point out that yes, the problem is too many cars, not too many people. But people have cars and I don't foresee that changing in the near future.

As I said, I agree with Jason that the city should tow. I just wonder if the outcry and hassle over that decision would ultimately be worth it. Solving one problem by creating another may not prove to be the best policy is all I was saying.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:20 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:It's all well and good to point out that yes, the problem is too many cars, not too many people. But people have cars and I don't foresee that changing in the near future.
I don't foresee it changing fast either, but we should at least try to see that it changes in the right direction, if anything. Free parking should not be treated as a permament entitlement. Here is an opinion page from everyone's favorite liberal rag on the deficiencies of the free parking model that survives largely unchallenged in most US communities.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:39 am

On Madison.com today:

Stephen Schultz, Madison Streets Division operations manager, said Monday he’s been getting a fair number of complaints. “It started yesterday with the rain.”

The typical complaint was from residents who said their street hadn’t been plowed. Not so, says Schultz.

“All streets have been plowed three times in the last nine days,” he says. “It’s just that a plow will not scrape right to bare pavement because the snow and ice adheres to the ground, and you have to break that bond. But we do not salt every residential street.”.....

Lest anyone think they’re taking it easy at the streets department, Schultz says the trucks have been out 24 hours a day for the past 10½ days, finally getting a break Sunday afternoon.

Read more: http://host.madison.com/news/local/writ ... z2KguQAelU

So I have to ask how all that material that has frozen into ice, got left in the street in the first place long enough to freeze? I understand that it's not going anywhere now.

jjoyce wrote:I can't imagine why the city won't tow unless a) they don't want to deal with the inevitably loud whining or b) they don't want to sign a contract with a towing company.

They certainly don't hesitate to tow after 3 or 4 PM (can't remember which) on Williamson and Atwood if you're parked in the eastbound right lane and I think the city has a contract with someone. It used to always be with Schmidts.

Dust Mite Rodeo wrote:Will someone admit that East Side homeowners suck at shoveling up the slush while it's soft before its freezes into a slick jaggedy mess?

Absolutely.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:24 am

narcoleptish wrote:
Dust Mite Rodeo wrote:Will someone admit that East Side homeowners suck at shoveling up the slush while it's soft before its freezes into a slick jaggedy mess?

Absolutely.

The last two evenings walking the dogs have caused me to be very ashamed of many of my neighbors. It's frustrating to walk most of a block on clean pavement only to come across thirty feet of two inch thick smooth, wet, uneven, amazingly slick ice slab with no sand or salt. So slick the dogs can't keep their feet.

Crossing the street back and forth looking for better traction is good exercise though.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:32 am

rabble wrote:The last two evenings walking the dogs have caused me to be very ashamed of many of my neighbors. It's frustrating to walk most of a block on clean pavement only to come across thirty feet of two inch thick smooth, wet, uneven, amazingly slick ice slab with no sand or salt.

Turn 'em in.

https://www.cityofmadison.com/reportaproblem/index.cfm?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:39 am

Henry Vilas wrote:
rabble wrote:The last two evenings walking the dogs have caused me to be very ashamed of many of my neighbors. It's frustrating to walk most of a block on clean pavement only to come across thirty feet of two inch thick smooth, wet, uneven, amazingly slick ice slab with no sand or salt.

Turn 'em in.

https://www.cityofmadison.com/reportaproblem/index.cfm?

I'm thinking about turning in...the City of Madison. There are two parks pretty close to my house with a whole lot of sidewalk surrounding them that features an AMAZING amount of ice.

As for the towing thing - I'd guess part of the issue is that towing a snowed in car creates a big traffic backup, which presumably is seen as risky in the midst of or directly after a storm with semi-unplowed roads. Heck, it slows things down on Johnson when there isn't any snow at all.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:58 am

Unfortunately, the city ordinance concerning clear sidewalks only applies to walks adjacent to private property.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ttusker » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:33 am

I rent a duplex on the far East side, and I'm pretty good about keeping my driveway and sidewalk clear of snow and ice. I have a great snowblower, several shovels, and a new ice-chipper. What I don't have, as of today, is any more salt. Three retailers I went to this morning were out of ice-melt and salt, and each also said it can't be found on the East side right now. WTF? Is there some kind of shortage all over town?
Ttusker

Postby rabble » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:42 am

I'm pretty sure you can still get tubes of sand which is much better for traction than salt.

If we're going to go through several days of thaw and freeze, sand seems like a more logical option anyway.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ttusker » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:19 pm

Guess I'll try to find some sand. Thanks for the advice, Rabble; it probably makes more sense anyway to use sand at this point. I just find it odd that such a common and necessary thing as ice-melt could be in short supply.
Ttusker

Postby rabble » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:38 pm

I can understand how they underguessed how much of it we'd use. It's been an unusual winter. Ha ha.

Maybe all that salt will hinder the algae blooms this year. The fish should probably get their electrolytes checked, though.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:39 pm

Ttusker wrote:I just find it odd that such a common and necessary thing as ice-melt could be in short supply.

Arturo could probably score you some...if the price is right.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:31 pm

jman111 wrote:
Ttusker wrote:I just find it odd that such a common and necessary thing as ice-melt could be in short supply.

Arturo could probably score you some...if the price is right.
If the East side is depleted of salt products, maybe someone with a truck could get a nice little west-east salt arbitrage going. I have about 2 pounds of salt left and I'm not making any special effort to sell it.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:36 pm

ArturoBandini wrote: I have about 2 pounds of salt left and I'm not making any special effort to sell it.

Homer: [pause] Yeah, that's right, Barney. This year, I invested in
pumpkins. They've been going up the whole month of
October and I got a feeling they're going to peak right around January. Then, bang! That's when I'll cash in.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Town Vibe