MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, August 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 75.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Where in Madison can I get NEW YORK style pizza?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Where in Madison can I get NEW YORK style pizza?

Postby TimeMasterFlex » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:08 am

I have recently been forced to move to Madison due to my employer, and I am already really missing my New York Style pizza. I have tried several places that my new co-workers claimed were NYC style, but they are are pathetic and are cheap imitations of the true New York Style Sicilian.

I have the option of ordering a full pie via overnight express airmail, where the pizza is put in dry ice and delivered to my door. I do not want to do that, as it is expensive, and I would rather find a local pizzeria owned by REAL Italians that serve REAL New York Style pizza.

I picked up a Isthmus paper edition and it invited me to visit this website and forum, and implied that locals posted here that know a lot about the town.

I urgently need help because I fear my temporary move to this place might turn out to be a more long term deal, and that would be tragic due to the apparent lack of New York Style pizza available in this small college town!
TimeMasterFlex

Re: Where in Madison can I get NEW YORK style pizza?

Postby Average Joe » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:03 am

Hey Sheppy, how's Laura these days?
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:21 am

The best place to find that style of pizza is at any of our lovely taquerias.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:33 am

Average Joe wrote:Hey Sheppy, how's Laura these days?

Nah, too lame for Sheppy. Generic troll. Sheppy was better than this guy.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swoon_queen » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:41 am

kurt_w wrote:
Average Joe wrote:Hey Sheppy, how's Laura these days?

Nah, too lame for Sheppy. Generic troll. Sheppy was better than this guy.

Sheesh. Um, TimeMasterFlex, I'll counter with welcome to Madison, and welcome to the forum.... I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and venture a guess that you are a real human being who just wants to get a NY slice of 'za here. My time on the east coast totally schooled me as to what that is-- I'm guessing that "foldable" is on your list of criteria? Curious as to where you've tried thus far.

Many folks seem to point to Di Roma as a good replicate of New York style pizza, but I disagree. I have heard Picasso's is decently close. And for what it's worth, when I was living out East, I was led many, many times to a tiny pizza shop in Northampton, MA called Pinocchio's, which is (I'm pretty sure) where Ian of Ian's Pizza started out-- I wouldn't consider Ian's east coast style pizza per se, but the crust is great. I can't really point you in a great direction, as personally, I prefer a chewier, sturdier crust- Roman Candle is my favorite in Madison, crust-wise. But I hope you find it-- It can be very comforting to find a food that matches up to your hometown fave.
swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:55 am

No, swoon, really. It's fake. I know you don't like our tendency to pounce on newbs, but trust me. This is Sheppy, or someone enamored of his style.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:18 am

TheBookPolice wrote:No, swoon, really. It's fake. I know you don't like our tendency to pounce on newbs, but trust me. This is Sheppy, or someone enamored of his style.

No, swoon knows. That's why he told him Roman Candle is his favorite. At least I hope that's why.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:19 am

This guy might be able to develop something approaching Sheppy's style, but he needs more practice. If you look at the six posts by TMF, there's no consistent "voice" and there's a lack of subtlety that you'd expect from someone who's still feeling his way around this "trolling" thing.

On a scale of 1 to 10 sheppys, I'd give this guy maybe 3 or 4 sheppys. The actual Sheppy gets 7 or 8. The kid running for mayor gets 10 (that thread was more sheppy than the real Sheppy).
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:26 am

Crockett wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:No, swoon, really. It's fake. I know you don't like our tendency to pounce on newbs, but trust me. This is Sheppy, or someone enamored of his style.

No, swoon knows. That's why he told him Roman Candle is his favorite. At least I hope that's why.

The metaphysics of this are getting complicated. Is Crockett complimenting or insulting swoon_queen? Would it be more admirable for swoon_queen to naively fall for an obvious troll, or for swoon_queen to hand the troll more rope by pretending to fall for his schtick?
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:32 am

I strongly suggest you find a new employer and move back to New York. You're less than two hours from Chicago here, New York pizza doesn't count.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:43 am

kurt_w wrote:
Crockett wrote:

The metaphysics of this are getting complicated. Is Crockett complimenting or insulting swoon_queen? Would it be more admirable for swoon_queen to naively fall for an obvious troll, or for swoon_queen to hand the troll more rope by pretending to fall for his schtick?

And why would Crockett assume that a Foron with "queen" in the username is a dude?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:49 am

TheBookPolice wrote:And why would Crockett assume that a Foron with "queen" in the username is a dude?

This IS Madison...
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:55 am

If I recall correctly, swoon_queen was the foron who once offered to go out on a blind date with MadMind. That probably wouldn't have turned out well if SQ was a dude.
Last edited by kurt_w on Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:00 am

That probably wouldn't have turned out well if SQ was a dude.

That depends on your perspective. From my perspective that would be funny as hell. I'm thinking there's a 40% chance of Sheppy here with TMF. I think there's about a 20% chance that ANY new poster is Sheppy. The handle is kind of funny, the posts have been both ironic (concealed carry) and sincere-ish (this pizza thread). It could be a human being.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:15 am

fisticuffs wrote:
That probably wouldn't have turned out well if SQ was a dude.

That depends on your perspective. From my perspective that would be funny as hell.

No comment.

I'm thinking there's a 40% chance of Sheppy here with TMF. I think there's about a 20% chance that ANY new poster is Sheppy.

I like the way you explicitly quantify the Bayesian prior (20%) there. The statistician down the hall here would approve.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Town Vibe