MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 69.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Why is this forum so hostile?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Why is this forum so hostile?

Postby TimeMasterFlex » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:57 am

I want to know why this forum is so very hostile towards new users.

Let me describe the progression to you of my experience, and hopefully the management of the Isthmus will take this to heart.

1: I move to Madison from New York City about a month ago. I know nothing about Madison, I am only here to help with the transition to Republican leadership and my employer says to go.

2: While doing my job in the Capitol and around town, I tend to eat at various places. One of these places have a local paper called 'Isthmus'.

3: I pick it up and read it for a few weeks. I find the laser focus on local issues to be quaint and a refreshing change of pace from the New York Daily News.

4: I see during one of these weeks a promo to go to 'TDP' which is 'The Daily Page' and to partake in the forums.

5: Thinking as to why I would use the forum, what benefit it would be to me, I come up with a problem I am having being a new resident of Madison.

6: I realize my struggle to find authentic New York Style pizza by the slice has been a utter failure, as every place I have visited in town offer nothing but cheap imitations to New York Style, or are worse, Chicago style. ( Shudder )

7: I then decide to ask the locals on the forum here, hoping that someone who knows the town well knows exactly where I need to go.

8: I am attacked almost immediately, save for one person who tries to help me.

9: I am attacked by the "friendly locals" the print edition says to come visit on the forum with paranoia, personal attacks, accusations, slurs towards my hometown, anger when I voice my OPINION about Madison Snow removal - where there is a thread that specifically asked for opinions about Madison snow removal, more paranoia about someone named 'Sleppy', anger over my gun rights stance, and in general a very hostile welcome.

10: My pride in New York City and my simple observations of Madison and Wisconsin politics from an outsiders perspective are savagely attacked for no apparent reason. Some claim I am something called a troll, yet when I look this term up online it says a troll is someone who posts on a forum to incite hate and responses. The only reason I came to TDP forum was to get a locals suggestion for a good New York Style pizza place.

11: My co-worker apparently was correct about this forum. She warned me not to ask anyone anything on the forums here, because she claimed the 'big three' forums in Madison were fulled with vitriol and populated by elitist haters who have been on the forums years longer than they should have, and defend what they see as 'their' forums from outsiders at any cost. New people are attacked and not trusted at face value, and that is the reason you never have constructive discussion on the forums.

She said if I wanted hate, go to Madison.com, if I wanted snarky paranoid liberals, go to the dailypage forums.

12: I want nothing to do with this forum anymore, and rest assured I am going to take this negative experience from here and tell everyone I possibly can that the forums the Isthmus runs are some of the most immature, paranoid, and elitist you can find.

So I say goodbye, enjoy the new leadership that is going to come into power, and revel in your horrible elitist paranoid forums you have going on here. And if you ever wonder why more people do not come here to post - look at each and everyone of yourselves and you will find the answer.

- TimeMasterFlex
( Andrew S. ) RNC transition team

http://www.wisgop.org/site/c.rtJUJ4MNIq ... 6/Home.htm
TimeMasterFlex

Re: Why is this forum so hostile?

Postby Kenneth Burns » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:07 am

TimeMasterFlex wrote:2: While doing my job in the Capitol and around town, I tend to eat at various places. One of these places have a local paper called 'Isthmus'.

3: I pick it up and read it for a few weeks. I find the laser focus on local issues to be quaint and a refreshing change of pace from the New York Daily News.

They're our sharpest competitor.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:21 am

TimeMasterFlex wrote: more paranoia about someone named 'Sleppy'

Nice touch.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:33 am

I dunno, maybe you should ask yourself what response you expected to get considering how hostile your post was. I mean, do you seriously not get why people would not necessarily be friendly towards someone who (in the very first line of their initial post) talks of being "forced" to move to their city? You then point out how ignorant locals are (people have "claimed" places had NYC style pizza, but they were just dumb rubes) and the local pizza joints are "pathetic" and "cheap imitations" of some Platonic ideal pizza that can only be purchased, coincidentally, in your hometown (which is nothing like this pathetic place you hated before you even had to spend a month here and now you're stuck with no pizza... oh what hell your life must be!)
Moving on, you insult any local Italians who might run a restaurant by suggesting they are less genuine than the REAL ones who, coincidentally, only live in your hometown. You close by saying you "fear" that you're stuck here and that living in Madison amounts to "tragedy."

So, who was first hostile to whom, hmmm?
Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:42 am

Bland is right--basically you showed up acting like a complete jerk, and expected people to be nice to you?

Way to back up that "all New Yorkers are a-holes" stereotype.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:47 am

TimeMasterFlex wrote:I want to know why this forum is so very hostile towards new users.

- TimeMasterFlex

I do not accept your premise. It is just you that I am hostile toward.

I can only hope that the other members of the transition team waste time like you have.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:52 am

'big three' forums in Madison

if I wanted hate, go to Madison.com, if I wanted snarky paranoid liberals, go to the dailypage forums.

What's the third one? What have you found there?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:25 pm

Stop acting like such a tool and we won't treat you like one.
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:26 pm

I'd expect a New Yorker to have a little tougher skin. Get to work, pussycat.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:38 pm

TimeMasterFlex wrote:I want to know why this forum is so very hostile towards new users.

Let me describe the progression to you of my experience, and hopefully the management of the Isthmus will take this to heart.

1: I move to Madison from New York City about a month ago. I know nothing about Madison, I am only here to help with the transition to Republican leadership and my employer says to go.

2: While doing my job in the Capitol and around town, I tend to eat at various places. One of these places have a local paper called 'Isthmus'.

4: I see during one of these weeks a promo to go to 'TDP' which is 'The Daily Page' and to partake in the forums.

5: Thinking as to why I would use the forum, what benefit it would be to me, I come up with a problem I am having being a new resident of Madison.

6: I realize my struggle to find authentic New York Style pizza by the slice has been a utter failure, as every place I have visited in town offer nothing but cheap imitations to New York Style, or are worse, Chicago style. ( Shudder )

7: I then decide to ask the locals on the forum here, hoping that someone who knows the town well knows exactly where I need to go.

8: I am attacked almost immediately, save for one person who tries to help me.

9: I am attacked by the "friendly locals" the print edition says to come visit on the forum with paranoia, personal attacks, accusations, slurs towards my hometown, anger when I voice my OPINION about Madison Snow removal - where there is a thread that specifically asked for opinions about Madison snow removal, more paranoia about someone named 'Sleppy', anger over my gun rights stance, and in general a very hostile welcome.

10: My pride in New York City and my simple observations of Madison and Wisconsin politics from an outsiders perspective are savagely attacked for no apparent reason. Some claim I am something called a troll, yet when I look this term up online it says a troll is someone who posts on a forum to incite hate and responses. The only reason I came to TDP forum was to get a locals suggestion for a good New York Style pizza place.

11: My co-worker apparently was correct about this forum. She warned me not to ask anyone anything on the forums here, because she claimed the 'big three' forums in Madison were fulled with vitriol and populated by elitist haters who have been on the forums years longer than they should have, and defend what they see as 'their' forums from outsiders at any cost. New people are attacked and not trusted at face value, and that is the reason you never have constructive discussion on the forums.

She said if I wanted hate, go to Madison.com, if I wanted snarky paranoid liberals, go to the dailypage forums.

12: I want nothing to do with this forum anymore, and rest assured I am going to take this negative experience from here and tell everyone I possibly can that the forums the Isthmus runs are some of the most immature, paranoid, and elitist you can find.

So I say goodbye, enjoy the new leadership that is going to come into power, and revel in your horrible elitist paranoid forums you have going on here. And if you ever wonder why more people do not come here to post - look at each and everyone of yourselves and you will find the answer.

- TimeMasterFlex

You and I need to have sex immediately. the future of republican-kind everywhere depends on it.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:40 pm

TimeMasterFlex wrote:

I knew it - they're talking about me behind my back! Fucking bastards.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:02 pm

barney wrote:Stop acting like such a tool and we won't treat you like one.

You're confusing "tool" with "clown".
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:27 pm

You're so quaint I can hardly stand it.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:28 am

It would be kind of amusing to have Sheppy on Governor Dumbass's transition team.

Setting: a cubicle in a faceless office complex somewhere in Dane County. The walls are decorated with "Dumbass for Governor" campaign signs.

Camera focuses on a bored twentysomething man, idly poking the cubicle wall with pushpins.

SHEPPY: Hmmmm ... what character should I be today ...

Cut to Governor Dumbass's temporary office, two hours later. Female aide enters with papers, and approaches the desk, where Dumbass is sitting and playing with toy trucks.

AIDE: Governor Dumbass, sir, I've got today's memo from the transition team.

GOV. DUMBASS: Good, that whole train thing was a disaster. We need to change the subject ... [picks up papers] ... Let's see what I'm supposed to talk about next .... [intoning] "For too many years, Wisconsin's citizens have suffered under their oppressive stuff-clouds, the vaporous offgassing of the materialistic and overconsumptive lifestyle that we have all been seduced into by ... "

[Governor looks cross-eyed, then throws down the papers on his desk.]

GOV. DUMBASS: [shouting] Mary! MAAA-rrryyyyy! Get in here, right now, please!
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:32 am

minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Town Vibe