MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Skating at Olbrich
Sunday, December 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 18.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

The downtown plan

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: The downtown plan

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:46 pm

ArturoBandini wrote:My eyes are bleeding!!! :roll: No, seriously, what's the big deal? Has Austin been disfigured to the point that no self-respecting business or individual would want to be seen with it in public?

I posted those with no content, but I actually like Austin's skyline better. Don't get me wrong, driving down John Nolin at night can be quite beautiful, but the amount of buildings at the same height kinda loses it after a while. I like a little variety in elevation. It makes for more interesting negative space in my opinion.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:09 am

Stebben84 wrote:
ArturoBandini wrote:My eyes are bleeding!!! :roll: No, seriously, what's the big deal? Has Austin been disfigured to the point that no self-respecting business or individual would want to be seen with it in public?

I posted those with no content, but I actually like Austin's skyline better. Don't get me wrong, driving down John Nolin at night can be quite beautiful, but the amount of buildings at the same height kinda loses it after a while. I like a little variety in elevation. It makes for more interesting negative space in my opinion.

Your non-commentary is noted. So we're in agreement, I suppose. Madison skyline = pretty good, Austin skyline = pretty good. Skylines in general = not worth stopping modern development in the name of symbolic/historic preservation.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind75 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:11 am

ArturoBandini wrote:Skylines in general = not worth stopping modern development in the name of symbolic/historic preservation.

I agree with Arturo. I think the height limit is draconian in nature.
Detritus wrote:I like tall buildings and I like the capitol too.

Perhaps there's a solution here that we're not realizing...
Problem solved! Now Madison is free to build up!
Last edited by MadMind75 on Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:26 am

Then there is Houston, which doesn't even have zoning laws.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:55 am

I note with amusement that to the right of the pics of Austin and Houston and the funny stretched Madison shop-pic I see not one but TWO ads depicting... the Madison capitol building. Since the web page swaps out ads you might see something different, but it's no secret the Capitol is a recognized and well-loved symbol statewide. Sure, it's a stuffy old beaux-arts rock pile with terrible accessibility and not enough bathrooms, but it means something to people same as the history of Wisconsin politics means something (though Scott Walker doesn't know that yet).

I'm not usually big on symbolism and tradition, but in this case I say let's not hope to bury the Capitol view behind a bunch of clutter. Drive in along Cottage Grove Road from east of the interstate, come up over that last hill and see Madison spread out below you with that big silly ol' dome in the middle, and it's still kind of a thrill.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:04 pm

snoqueen wrote:...the funny post-ordinance Madison shop-pic (giant Edgewater spire?)...

Ha! Tall=bad goggles function exactly as I thought.

I love the capitol as part of the skyline, but that drive-by perspective is funny to me as a downtown resident. Hardly takes any height to block the view at pedestrian level—which allows for endless appealing reveals as you walk (or drive) round the neighborhood.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind75 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:10 pm

snoqueen wrote:...it's no secret the Capitol is a recognized and well-loved symbol statewide. Sure, it's a stuffy old beaux-arts rock pile, but it means something to people...
I'm not usually big on symbolism and tradition, but in this case I say let's not hope to bury the Capitol view behind a bunch of clutter.

It's this kind of attachment to "the city you know" that is keeping Madison from going in new and potentially exciting directions. You've seen the Capitol once you've seen it a hundred times.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:37 am

MadMind75 wrote:You've seen the Capitol once you've seen it a hundred times.

Your statement reminds me of Reagan's: If you've seen one redwood, you've seen them all.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind75 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:08 am

Henry Vilas wrote:

Your statement reminds me of Reagan's: If you've seen one redwood, you've seen them all.

Oh c'mon now. There's only one Wisconsin Capitol building, and I'm not proposing having it removed or destroyed. Poor analogy.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:54 am

MadMind75 wrote:There's only one Wisconsin Capitol building, and I'm not proposing having it removed or destroyed.

Don't you want to replace it with a gentlemen's club (aka titty bar)?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:16 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
MadMind75 wrote:There's only one Wisconsin Capitol building, and I'm not proposing having it removed or destroyed.

Don't you want to replace it with a gentlemen's club (aka titty bar)?

Cheap shot dude!

Funny though.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:19 pm

I'd prefer not to see our billion-dollar capitol occluded by twenty-million-dollar buildings.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ABCD » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:14 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
snoqueen wrote:http://www.pbase.com/image/52752741

Link is to photo of Austin capitol skyline at night. You decide.

Here is a better comparison:

For me the skyline of Madison is unique and gives it a sense of place. The skyline of Austin or Houston can be anywhere/everywhere USA and has no sense of place.
ABCD

Postby ABCD » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:25 pm

MadMind75 wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:

Oh c'mon now. There's only one Wisconsin Capitol building, and I'm not proposing having it removed or destroyed. Poor analogy.

Since Walker and the Republicans are such fans of Arizona, why not sell the Capitol Building to private interests like Arizona and lease it back?
ABCD

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:47 am

ABCD wrote:
For me the skyline of Madison is unique and gives it a sense of place. The skyline of Austin or Houston can be anywhere/everywhere USA and has no sense of place.

So, you're from Madison and you've never been to Texas? That's cool.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Town Vibe