MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, December 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 36.0° F  Overcast with Haze
Collapse Photo Bar

Borders On University Closing

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Borders On University Closing

Postby Bigredhunk » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:59 am

Supposedly this is one of the 200 or so store closings now that they've filed for CH 11. I'm not a Madison resident... Doesn't this Borders get a lot more traffic/business than the location on Zeier Rd?
Bigredhunk
Forum Addict

Re: Borders On University Closing

Postby Shorty » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:35 am

I guess not but I've never bought from either store so can't say I will miss it.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:41 am

The release I saw indicated that they are closing all their "superstores," not basing closure on sales or traffic.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kissyfish » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:25 pm

This store is indeed profitable, but they are part of a 17 location lease which they must break.

This is what I heard.
kissyfish
Forum Addict

Postby john_titor » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:59 pm

I never could understand how the libraries in Madison were closed on Sundays. With that being said, I have really kicked up my library use in the past year or so. I never really took advantage of the HOLDs thingy, but with the newfangled internet, I go nuts. Super easy to go online and request books. My local library doesn't have the biggest selection, but with all of Southern Wisconsin at my fingertips, most books have been a week away.

Point being, screw bookstores. Libraries: The original Napster.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:03 pm

And if I am not mistaken Walker's bill unfunds the south central library group that lets you share books from all area libraries.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cxl01 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:14 am

snoqueen wrote:And if I am not mistaken Walker's bill unfunds the south central library group that lets you share books from all area libraries.

I heard that too. It figures Walker would take one more good thing about living here and throw it away. :evil:
cxl01
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:55 am

I didn't realize that was in the bill, too. I'm trying to learn more about this.

From what I've seen so far, the bill would cut library system funding 10%, and -- perhaps more insidiously -- eliminate the requirement for maintenance of effort (MOE). Right now, libraries that join SCLS are prevented from making drastic reductions in their funding after joining SCLS. This ensures that you don't have "free riders" -- smaller libraries joining the system, then abruptly cutting their own budgets and taking advantage of the resources of the rest of the libraries in the system.

If Gov Dumbass gets his way with this, the short-term effect will probably be that a bunch of outlying communities in SCLS start reducing their contributions to the system, but it's kept afloat largely by MPL. If this gets bad enough and MPL decides it's getting the short end of the stick, I can easily see SCLS breaking up. That would be sad for Madison, but it would be much worse for suburban/rural libraries, whose users benefit immensely from their shared access to the holdings of MPL and other SCLS member libraries.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cainabel » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:32 am

Good News is that the Forons and like minders are feeling a wave of Solidarity, so I am sure they will volunteer more taxes to pick up the funding shortfall for programs they care for.
cainabel

Postby wack wack » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:31 am

cainabel wrote:Good News is that the Forons and like minders are feeling a wave of Solidarity, so I am sure they will volunteer more taxes to pick up the funding shortfall for programs they care for.

Of course they will... it's only greedy, selfish conservatives who refuse to help anyone but themselves. Liberals will even help fund programs they personally DON'T care for, if they see that others derive benefit from them.

Infuriating, isn't it?
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cxl01 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:20 am

There's that noise again. Funding shortfall?

Like it takes a genius to realize that projects that serve the many, are affordable, when a Governor doesn't give away millions in tax breaks to the wealthy few. :roll:
cxl01
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cainabel » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:12 pm

Like it takes a genius

Like it takes a genius to understand that enabling living beyond one's means is not compassion. Government spending is beyond it's means. It is a drag on our economy and means higher taxes and higher interest in the future, continuing the drag on the economy. I would argue that making future generations suffer from a lower standard of living is more selfish than prioritized cuts in current spending. There are plenty of valuable organizations which have their hands out for taxpayer money. Taxpayer's need to begin living within their means and prioritize. Feel free to make any donations to the library you wish! Or do you just want to donate taxpayer money not your own?

To be alarmed at Governor's "giving away" tax cuts, one would have to postulate that taxpayer income belongs to anyone but the taxpayer. High taxes coupled with income redistribution is the definition of selfish and immoral. :roll:
cainabel

Postby peripat » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:34 pm

cainabel wrote:
Like it takes a genius

High taxes coupled with income redistribution is the definition of selfish and immoral. :roll:

No. High income coupled with a disinclination to share is the definition of selfish and immoral
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:01 pm

cainabel wrote:

To be alarmed at Governor's "giving away" tax cuts, one would have to postulate that taxpayer income belongs to anyone but the taxpayer.

You benefit from the privilege of living in this state and this country so quit your bitching about having to pay your fair share and shut the fuck up or get the fuck out.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Town Vibe