MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 32.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

College Students Attacking Cab Drivers

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

College Students Attacking Cab Drivers

Postby sskrall » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:21 pm

I would just like to throw this one out there... My father, a cab driver in this city for several years, a city where I used to be proud to call home and where I was born and raised, has been assaulted, twice. These two assaults have happened in the past two years, one just last week. Both of the attackers were college aged kids after drinking and partying, one male, one female in seperate incidents. My father while working was punched in the face, over a 3 dollar and 8 or 9 dollar ride. This is so disgusting to me, I can't even explain it. Both times, the culprits were taken to jail and charged for battery as well as other things. Both times these young criminals made remarks about how much money they had and how they didn't need to pay my father for the cab ride and turned to violence for no reason but because of drunken immaturity and other mental problems.

Nothing in my criminal justice background makes this easier for me to understand. They did not attack him to rob him of the money, that was not the point of the crime. The point was to attack someone for power, and to hurt someone, which is sickening. What is even more sickening is that these are college kids, not hardened criminals we like to point at and say "it was people like them". This is our classmates, our drinking buddies, and sadly a problem that seems to be happening more often.
sskrall

Return to Town Vibe