MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, January 28, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 25.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Apartment listings

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Apartment listings

Postby meowzamusic » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:45 am

I'm sure this has been covered extensively before and yadda yadda yadda but I'm looking for a place to live and am disappointed by the absence of a central site or something where I can look for rentals.

Yeah, I've been on craigslist and the isthmus classifieds and found the sites for various rental companies, most of whom are catering to students and downtown folks which is fine, but I need something east side-y. Anyone got leads on where else to look? Is there a central site for this sort of thing like there is for real estate?
meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Apartment listings

Postby Marvell » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:58 am

This probably isn't the answer you wanted to hear, but most of the really nice apartments - at least on the east side - aren't posted anywhere other than on signs in front of the building in question.

That's how I found my current phat-ass crib; I walked around the neighborhood I wanted to live in and took down phone numbers off of signs. The place I found wasn't listed anywhere.

I honestly think that's your best bet.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meowzamusic » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:06 am

Yeah I've done a bit of that. I figured that was the way it tends to work out. But I still wonder if a database of some sort would be possible around here somehow...
meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Jademan7 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:21 pm

I've just googled "Campus Assistance" and gone through their checklist. All you have to do is click on the east side sections and not downtown. You'll get a list of available places narrowed down to your selections. I've had luck with this on the east side.
Jademan7
Forum Addict

Postby Jademan7 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:23 pm

http://campusareahousing.wisc.edu/search_guided.asp
Here is the listing. Even though it looks like it is only for students, it covers the whole city and outside of the city.
Jademan7
Forum Addict

Postby LargeMarge » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:48 pm

When I was in college, I had a desirable apartment. During apartment hunting season, people would knock on the door to see if we were renewing our lease during . They never put a for rent sign nor advised it in the paper. (The internet was not very popular then.) If it is a desirable area, they may not need to advertise.

Once the weather gets nicer, take a walk in the neighborhood and ask the residents you see outside. (I find the knocking on the doors a bit creepy.)
LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Postby Endo Rockstar » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:55 pm

Marvell wrote:This probably isn't the answer you wanted to hear, but most of the really nice apartments - at least on the east side - aren't posted anywhere other than on signs in front of the building in question.

This.

Its true, good rental owners on the near east side don't advertise because it brings terrible tenants out of the woodwork. Once the warmer weather hits, grab your bike and start hitting side streets.

good luck!

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:31 pm

Back in the day, Rentsearch was useful. I just checked it: garbage.

What kind of place are you looking for?

Does anyone live above the Project Lodge?
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meowzamusic » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:56 pm

2 bedroom, Atwood neighborhood is preferred but I'll look anywhere that's not downtown or west. Thanks for everyone's suggestions
meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby skrattypants » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:50 pm

Niftiest joint I ever saw advertised was on a 3x5 posted on the bulletin board down at JavaCat.

Mebbe check out those bulletin boards in the pertinent locale.
skrattypants
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Town Vibe