MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, October 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 57.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Hilldale in Foreclosure

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Hilldale in Foreclosure

Postby WestSideYuppie » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:46 pm

http://madisonnearwest.channel3000.com/ ... sure/48828

Does this have any impact on anybody but the banks? Is the new Target involved? Ace Hardware?
WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Hilldale in Foreclosure

Postby kissyfish » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:03 am

I think this will end up helping the mall.
kissyfish
Forum Addict

Postby Athena » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:53 am

I wish I had the money to buy it. The mall has done very well since the redevelopment. I know Sundance has been busy lately, the cupcake place keeps selling out of everything, and there's almost always a wait at Cafe Porta Alba. I'd assume that the rest of the businesses are doing fairly well too.
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:24 am

We go to Sundance once in a while and my wife loves the flat top grille. Afterwards we wander the mall and see nothing else that interests us.

If Athena's right and business is getting better, that's great but we always get the feeling that mall is catering to a demographic other than ours.

We haven't checked out Target yet, but I'm thinking it's not going to be anything we want to drive across town for.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:23 pm

Am I the only person who thinks mall culture (whatever it was) is dead? I don't think people are doing recreational shopping the way they did eight or ten years ago.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:05 pm

Outside at Hilldale seems vibrant and worth visiting.

Inside, it's a different story. I'm looking for a suit and made the mistake of going through there the other day. There seem to be as many empty storefronts inside as there are occupied ones.

By the way, Macy's is brutal. I tried on about six jackets and was never once approached by a clerk.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:51 pm

snoqueen wrote:Am I the only person who thinks mall culture (whatever it was) is dead? I don't think people are doing recreational shopping the way they did eight or ten years ago.

Maybe. But I'm definitely more comfortable at East Town than Hilldale.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:36 pm

Just don't mess with m' Hilldale Barber Shop, where the chairs come complete with (unused) ashtrays.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby WestSideYuppie » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:08 pm

The lack of staff at Macy's is probably just another symptom of barely hanging on. Sears is the same way.

I wouldn't drive across town to Target either. But I'm happy to ride my bike there. I'm glad somebody guessed that the neighborhood needs something other than more boutiques.

Mall culture isn't dead, but I'm glad it's not in my back yard.

Flat Top Grill is a clever mall restaurant gimmick, but I'm not appetized by watching people standing in line with bowls of raw meat.
WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:16 pm

I'm hoping whoever takes over Hilldale will be good. As I've said before, I've known Hilldale from the beginning. I still like that I can do a number of errands without having to go to a distant big box store. I bought an important pair of shoes at Morgan's today. It's wonderful to have a Target handy for household and clothing items. I'm not a frequent shopper at Macy's but they still have some brands and designers I prefer over some of Target's.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby WestSideYuppie » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:22 pm

Bwis53 wrote:I'm hoping whoever takes over Hilldale will be good. As I've said before, I've known Hilldale from the beginning. I still like that I can do a number of errands without having to go to a distant big box store. I bought an important pair of shoes at Morgan's today. It's wonderful to have a Target handy for household and clothing items. I'm not a frequent shopper at Macy's but they still have some brands and designers I prefer over some of Target's.

Quite agreed. Many have been the times that Hilldale has saved me from taking my car out of the garage. From my standpoint, it's not really a mall if I don't have to deal with Mall Traffic.
WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:34 pm

I don't think of Westgate or Hilldale as "malls", although I suppose they are. They only house a couple dozen businesses, maybe less. They are more like strip malls with movie theaters and enclosed walkways.

A mall has to have an escalator, high ceilings, some sort of flora, a Spencers Gift or other novelty store, a long and bewildering store directory. There should be zero store vacancies, and it should take a minimum of 20 minutes to walk around each level.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:45 am

Huckleby wrote:A mall has to have an escalator, high ceilings, some sort of flora, a Spencers Gift or other novelty store, a long and bewildering store directory. There should be zero store vacancies, and it should take a minimum of 20 minutes to walk around each level.

Ok, I'll be the devil's advocate. Why has this ended up as a bad thing?

Isn't the general idea of a walkable space with a variety of shops in line with the progressive shopping ideal?

Why, considering the other suburban options, are indoor malls so maligned?
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kissyfish » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:31 am

WestSideYuppie wrote:
Bwis53 wrote:I'm hoping whoever takes over Hilldale will be good. As I've said before, I've known Hilldale from the beginning. I still like that I can do a number of errands without having to go to a distant big box store. I bought an important pair of shoes at Morgan's today. It's wonderful to have a Target handy for household and clothing items. I'm not a frequent shopper at Macy's but they still have some brands and designers I prefer over some of Target's.

Quite agreed. Many have been the times that Hilldale has saved me from taking my car out of the garage. From my standpoint, it's not really a mall if I don't have to deal with Mall Traffic.

Again, in agreement. I have known Hilldale since I was born. My grandparents lived on Burbank, and my grandmother and I would jaywalk across Univ Ave and climb up these steplike brick which were the retaining wall at the time. At Xmas I would be so happy to see the mechanical elves and santas and such they used to have. My first haircut was at hilldale barbers, I still go there to this day, and the guy who gave me my first haircut is still there. I am not so sure about the ashtrays beig unused, I think my dad used them every time he was there, but the chairs have probably been replaced.

I miss Wolff Kubly, and other shops which made hilldale a practical mall, and a one stop shop.

It is about halfway between my house, and my workplace, so I often stop on my walk to pick up things we need, in fact, about te only thig I need to drive to, is the Willy St COOP, and that is not really a need as Metcalfes is local, and buys local, and I think does well by its employees (political donations aside, I can overlook that given the rest of the picture).

I bet if someone repoened the Cuba Club (maybe in Borders building) they could make some cash.

:)
kissyfish
Forum Addict

Postby Huckleby » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:46 am

ilikebeans wrote: Isn't the general idea of a walkable space with a variety of shops in line with the progressive shopping ideal?

I think it is a kid thing. Giant malls are like biodomes, cities within cities. All the open space is cool. It seemed like a fun place to go to when I was in short pants, especially on a cold day.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Town Vibe