MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
canoe rack
Saturday, July 12, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  Mostly Cloudy with Haze
Collapse Photo Bar

Hilldale in Foreclosure

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Hilldale in Foreclosure

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:15 pm

frozenCow wrote:
Kenneth Burns wrote:I'm delighted by the remembrances of OG East Towne and West Towne and want to hear more.

Well, I'm already in Geezer mode so here goes:

frozenCow your epic rememberies are always appreciated.

snoqueen wrote:Whatever you grew up with -- especially whatever was cool just before you were old enough to be part of it -- becomes an object of nostalgia.

Music, clothes, shopping malls, everything. It's a predictable, though fun, cycle.

Corollary: whatever your grandmother did or had (not your mother, your grandmother) becomes vintage.

And some of the things your great-great-great-grandmother did are now prohibited by constitutional amendment.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:17 pm

Nick Berigan wrote:
snoqueen wrote:Whatever you grew up with -- ....

OK, there was a big field. We went over there when ever we could and exploded things and shot arrows straight up in the air without any concern and climbed up in the barn rafters and watched the unknowing UW ag school guy milk the cows.

Is that one of the options that could be explored for the future?

In the future there will be a theme park that's just a big field where teenagers go to explode things and shoot arrows straight up into the air and hang out ironically.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Maeve » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:36 pm

I shot an arrow into the air,
It fell to earth, I knew not where;
For, so swiftly it flew, the sight
Could not follow it in its flight

Speaking of nostalgia for things one doesn't yet get -- this evokes Bullwinkle for me, not Longfellow.
Maeve
Forum Addict

Postby Nick Berigan » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:00 pm

Exploding things and shooting arrows were PRE teen activities.
Nick Berigan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:09 pm

I used to hit golf balls into the neighborhood with a wood bat. It sounded like a major league home run.

Back to East Towne, York Steakhouse was probably the first place I dined out on my own with my friends, other than fast-food. You got your tray, you got your glass of jello, you got your big plastic cup of soda. If I concentrate I think I can still taste their house steak sauce.

Question: What was the name of the record store in Westgate circa early 80's? It had wood decking walkways maybe. It was past the restaurant (CJ's) but before the theater.

Petrie Sports in East Towne always had the 308LB olympic barbell set sitting near the front. My friends and I would give it a shot to see if it budged. By the time I could move it they were out of business.

I remember a lot of car shows in the pre-kiosk days. And I agree with the "kiosks are cancer" comment.

I haven't been in ET or WT even 10 times this century.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:13 pm

narcoleptish wrote:Question: What was the name of the record store in Westgate circa early 80's? It had wood decking walkways maybe. It was past the restaurant (CJ's) but before the theater.

1812 Overture (I think).
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:16 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
narcoleptish wrote:Question: What was the name of the record store in Westgate circa early 80's? It had wood decking walkways maybe. It was past the restaurant (CJ's) but before the theater.

1812 Overture (I think).

You guys are like an extremely localized wikipedia.

I will now do a brief comparative analysis of the arcades of the west side.

Tilt was the arcade in Westgate, to the right of the theater, making it the ideal place to kill time before a movie. During the last two years or so of its life, every game had a price tag on it as it slowly sold itself off.

West Towne's arcade was Aladdin's Castle, occupying a couple different storefronts on the right side of the main entrance as you came in. Aladdin's Castle took the sad turn toward ticket-based games in its waning years, slowly pushing out true video games. Aladdin's Castle lasted a few years longer than Tilt.

I know Aladdin's had their own tokens (and you could get four for a dollar or 20 for five dollars), but I think Tilt might have been quarter-oriented.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:28 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:I know Aladdin's had their own tokens (and you could get four for a dollar or 20 for five dollars), but I think Tilt might have been quarter-oriented.

The Aladdin's Castle in Brookfield Square (my old stompin' grounds) gave 25 tokens for 5 bucks (or was it 24?)- my very first experience with the concept of volume discounts.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mayact4 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:40 pm

Remember Uncle Paul's, the toy store at Westgate in the 60's? I think, but am not sure, it was about where TJ Maxx is now and it was HUGE (at least to a kid). At Christmas, they put a little red cottage in the parking lot right in front of Uncle Paul's, and that's where we would visit Santa.
mayact4
Forum Addict

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:24 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:

1812 Overture (I think).

I think you're right. I thought there was a number involved.

I put in some time at Tilt. Wizard of War was my piggy bank of choice. All the bigger kids were hogging Space Invaders.

jman111 wrote: my very first experience with the concept of volume discounts.

Mine was a free ticket to a Ministry wannabe band at Club de Wash. Me and several others were visibly uncomfortable.

No fond memories of South Towne?

ANY memories of it?
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:19 pm

narcoleptish wrote:No fond memories of South Towne?

ANY memories of it?

The Marcus theater ticket prices were around $2-3 cheaper than other Marcus theaters. I was fond of that.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:55 pm

narcoleptish wrote:No fond memories of South Towne?

ANY memories of it?

I went there when I first moved to Madison about 12 years ago. I walked in and was like, I don't even know what this is. Then I left.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:42 pm

narcoleptish wrote:
green union terrace chair wrote:
Bring back the giant fountains and open air smoking pits of West Towne Mall!

AH you beat me to it! East Towne had em too. The fountains in the center were huge and half way in, by the smoking pits, they had those jungle-like ponds that seemed like they could possibly support wildlife. East Towne had that lounge in front...Backstage??...that I never got a chance to see. Moon fun shop. When a store went out they would cover the front with those walls that looked like Hollywood Squares without the drunk celebrities. West Towne was in farm country, the only thing further out was the Big Sky drive-in.

Now I've got the jingle for Playback ("The Electronic Playground!") in my head.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:29 pm

PLAYBACK!

I'm picturing a sign with a bunch of faces on it. Does that sound right?

Of course now I'm singing the fucking song..

I was going to mention World Bazaar, but that doesn't match Playback. Well played.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Smutterly » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 am

I remember ET fondly. I remember York Steakhouse as a child. When I was older we also had an Aladdin's. I remember one visit the token machine was having an issue and for every quarter we'd get 4 more back. That was a wonderful day.

I loved the old Burger King in ET. The ugly hats, the large doors on the front and the flexible microphones to order from someone in the kitchen about 5' from where the counter was.

Another of my favorties was McCrory's. We would always get the counter service much like the rennebohm's had. Then you could walk through the rest of the store and get lost in there.

World Bazaar was always interesting as I always wondered who would buy that large papazan(sp?) chair in the front.

I remember the sunken smoking areas were always interesting. I also couldn't pass the rough stone texture of the garbage cans and the fountain areas without touching them. Weird i know.

And unrelated I know but I remember the old Kelly's restaurants about that same time.
Smutterly

PreviousNext

Return to Town Vibe